SASS Wire Forum

Any shootings at private schools?

Trigger Mike

I do not recall any of these school shootings, at least the publicized ones, taking place at a private school, only at public schools.  It seems to me that if that is so, then perhaps we need to look at what they are doing different.  Does the private sector once again know something the government does not ?

I think there are a number of factors. Security, class size. Parental involvement, etc.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I think there are a number of factors. Security, class size. Parental involvement, etc.

There it is!

I think one reason is the attitude regarding parental involvement .  I once had my children in the public school and their attitude was that my children were theirs during the school day and i had no say in how they treated my children.  The principal actually said that during the day they are hers and that I have no say.  Once she told me that I told her "give me my children right now" and away we went and never came back.  I enrolled them in a private school and while the public school felt entitled to have my children there, the private school one day said, "Thank you for letting us take care of them today" when I thanked the principal for taking care of them .  The private school is also more interactive with the parents and we work out plans to solve problems, together.  They actually seek my help for even minor problems.  they also hug the children or talk encouraging to them from time to time. 

My 12 year old is struggling in math so the teacher takes extra steps, gives him more time or extra help or lets him test in a separate room to cut down on distractions just to help him pass.  Public schools did not do this.

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

The private school is also more interactive with the parents

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

they also hug the children

Mine was in parochial school and got the occasional swat on the behind (3rd grade anyway.  Sister had her number).

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I think one reason is the attitude regarding parental involvement .  I once had my children in the public school and their attitude was that my children were theirs during the school day and i had no say in how they treated my children.  The principal actually said that during the day they are hers and that I have no say.  Once she told me that I told her "give me my children right now" and away we went and never came back.  I enrolled them in a private school and while the public school felt entitled to have my children there, the private school one day said, "Thank you for letting us take care of them today" when I thanked the principal for taking care of them .  The private school is also more interactive with the parents and we work out plans to solve problems, together.  They actually seek my help for even minor problems.  they also hug the children or talk encouraging to them from time to time. 

My 12 year old is struggling in math so the teacher takes extra steps, gives him more time or extra help or lets him test in a separate room to cut down on distractions just to help him pass.  Public schools did not do this.

Sounds more like when I went to public school. But back then they weren't "Gun Free" zones. We were able to bring them in for show & tell, plus we were taught respect and gun safety. Disipline was also the norm in school. Nowadays they are all winners and can't be reprimanded at home or in school. How's that workin out ?

14 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I think the shooters usually have a history with the school they shoot up. They don't normally go to private schools.

I would have to agree with Marshal on this one.

3 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

We had a mass shooting at an Amish school here several years ago. You can't get more private or a softer target that

I was thinking of that one too! I forgot it was in PA!!!

The private school my children go to now has a policy after the 3rd write up you get a paddling.  My 12 year old is on his second write up. His first one was for talking during chapel.  his second was for talking in class and not reading his book on Robert E Lee.  

12 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Ws the Amish shooter a student from there or external random shooter?

He was not a former student He was a middle age man. In this area the Amish schools are very small probably 25 kids in the school and the teacher is probably 17 years old with an 8th grade education. The schools are now mostly now hidden down an unmarked farm lane on a Amish farm. You won't get down the road

Parochial school in Cologne, Germany, 1964.

No guns used.

Using the mace to break a classroom window, he fired liquid flame into the room, setting the kids on fire. As people rushed out of the building, he fired the flamethrower until it was empty and then attacked with his lance. Seifert managed to kill 8 children, 2 teachers and wound another 22 people. Without a gun, by the way.

https://www.historyandheadlines.com/june-11-1964-guns-kill-people-flamethrower-mace-lance-kill-people-cologne-school-massacre/

I think the Parkland shooting had something to due with the Obummer DOJ & Dept. of Education pushing "disparate impact" BS.  They pushed the BS that the reason for students of color being referred to LE was racial discrimination.  The Feds gently  persuaded urban school districts with high non Asian minority student populations to avoid involving the police in discipline.

Parental support is a huge factor.  If you look at under-performing schools that suddenly become super performing schools, the biggest factor is parental support.  In Houston ISD magnet schools, parents have to stand in line to get a spot for their child, and IF their child makes it in, they have to sign a contract to do a certain amount of volunteer work at the school, and guarantee their child will be at school on time, not cause trouble, and will do all homework on time.  Parental support makes all the difference because they want their child to get a good education without constant interruptions everyday.

I went to an inner city (sic, Ghetto) school for secondary and high school.  The teachers were all ex-prison teachers (we lived net to the Cook County Prison)  Discipline was referred to the parents - most of the parent cleaned the clocks of difficult kids who walked straight ....till the next time.  I was definitely afraid of my father  - more than the police.   A call from the home teacher meant a blistered butt.  Thankfully, I had a small plump Irish assistant principle who saved me from this many many times.  I loved that woman.  She and the black school secretary often covered for me and did not report me as a problem child.  These ladies have a special place in Heaven - If not I will certainly ask for them if I get there.

STL Suomi

On 2/23/2018 at 6:30 AM, Noz said:

There it is!

Nope!  Parent involvement in their kids have nothing to do with it.  A parent needs to be friends with their child.  A parent doesn't need to discipline their child but understand their child is exploring.  Both parents need to be at work when their kid gets home from school so they can buy them all the xbox  and play stations they need.  Also the kids can learn to grow up with no parent supervision while both parents are at work.  The parent only needs to come home to kiss the child good night.   Then when your kid is a few years old you can have another kid.  That way the oldest kid can teach the younger all he or she has learned.  Yep that is how it is done!

Having taught in both several urban and rural public and private (parochial, in my case) schools for 42 years, there is a difference.  I taught in an excellent public elementary school that thrived because we had very involved parents and a caring faculty.  Other public schools I taught in, elementary through high school, had less parental involvement and less success overall.

I'm finishing my career in a parochial high school that has a great success rate.  Both my kids graduated from this school.  My oldest has her MBA and the other is a physician for the military.   The school doesn't have tons of money and only modest facilities.  It is successful for several reasons:

1. we still have a few sisters - I'm a former college linebacker and wrestler; I'm still scared of them

2. We do charge tuition, although some scholarship money is available.  Paying cash makes you have a vested interest in you

kids succeeding.

3. Kids are required to do a good deal of service work in the community.

4. Although we accept kids of all faiths (I'm Lutheran), we have weekly Mass.  Faith is very important here.

5. Our kids aren't perfect (they're teenagers for God's sake). We do our best to help and forgive, but eventually kids that can't 

get with the program are asked to leave.

6. Our school has been around since 1876.  Generations of families have sent their kids here and living former graduates are

still actively involved. The idea of "school family" is big here.  

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, Trigger Mike said:

You have to have a special kind of sickness to shoot up an Amish school.  Those folks do their very best to stay out of everyones way and just live their lives as best they can.  

I would say it is exactly the same "sickness" that would cause someone to kill kids at a public school.

Archived