SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited Edition

Hashknife Cowboy

Being in one of those stores that sells want and not need, I came upon a Marlin 1894 Cowboy LE in .45.  It was in the sale rack and the store owner said many had looked at it but he can only sell black rifles and lever guns just didn't move for him.  The wood to metal fit was very acceptable, the bluing is bright, the engraving is nicely done,  the action is quite smooth and very non typical, the trigger was crisp and did not cause permanent finger disfigurement, the wood is high gloss similar to a Browning and the checkering was cut very cleanly.  The barrel is 20 inches and octagon.  So we dickered.....

Yes I took it home, took it apart and cleaned it and contact surfaces are polished?  Some one actually put it together correctly.  

Yes I have shot it and it is dead on out to 50 yards, no complaints; the only fault I find is a plastic follower within the magazine tube.   So I switched it with a brass one that I had.  

Perhaps they should make all their rifles this way, this one is a keeper and made in the USA.  This is a new manufacture, non JM

G70403_1.jpg

There is another recent post regarding Marlin 94's with alot of information. Sounds like you got one of the JM good ones.

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What does the "LE" stand for? Limited Edition?

Ya know how long I scratched my head over that? :lol: I sure couldn't remember any Law Enforcement version!

Limited Edition ,,,, Yep we have a winner ...  

Sounds to me like you got one that has had action work done to it already ...

Enjoy !!!

I have smoothed up 6 so far , they have better springs in them from the factory and a way better finish on the exterior than any coming out of Rem. before , I don't know how many they are making .... But they won't build me 10 in .38-40 (.38 WCF ) I asked ....

Jabez Cowboy

57 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Ya know how long I scratched my head over that? :lol: I sure couldn't remember any Law Enforcement version!

When I saw "LE" the first thing I thought was "law enforcement model? Cool!"

9 hours ago, Yoos-Ta-Be Kid said:

Being in one of those stores that sells want and not need, I came upon a Marlin 1894 Cowboy LE in .45.  It was in the sale rack and the store owner said many had looked at it but he can only sell black rifles and lever guns just didn't move for him.  The wood to metal fit was very acceptable, the bluing is bright, the engraving is nicely done,  the action is quite smooth and very non typical, the trigger was crisp and did not cause permanent finger disfigurement, the wood is high gloss similar to a Browning and the checkering was cut very cleanly.  The barrel is 20 inches and octagon.  So we dickered.....

Yes I took it home, took it apart and cleaned it and contact surfaces are polished?  Some one actually put it together correctly.  

Yes I have shot it and it is dead on out to 50 yards, no complaints; the only fault I find is a plastic follower within the magazine tube.   So I switched it with a brass one that I had.  

Perhaps they should make all their rifles this way, this one is a keeper and made in the USA.  This is a new manufacture, non JM

G70403_1.jpg

Hopefully Remington got their act together and are making a good one now. As bad as their first try was for the right price I'd try a new one if I could look inside an run some dummy rounds through it.

Randy

Offically it is Marlin 1894 1 of 1500 Limited Edition.  Nice stock, a bit of engraving.  It is one of the latest Remington made Marlins post an earful of complaints.

Mine seems to work just fine for an out of the box gun with no mods.  At least in this edition Remington got it right.  That being said not sure what other 1894s are at and with a bankruptcy maybe quality control is going to slip again.

Archived