SASS Wire Forum

Public outdoor range query

Come On Christmas

I wanna check myself out loading and shooting drop in conversion pistols before I take same to a match.

Fortunately I can go when there are few folks at the range early week @ noon.

What has been your experience with range personnel?  Just explain ahead of time?

Not so Shameless

Loading and shooting conversion cylinders is pretty much the same as using a gun with a magazine, IMO.  If you keep the muzzle pointed downrange during all manipulations, I don't see anything that would cause concern.  What would they object to?

Ok at our range. It is a Public range and there is not any staff on site to interfere with the public shooting. It is owned by the city and operated in conjunction with the local gun club..... The gun club helps to fund improvements on a yearly basis.

A bonus is that SASS members are the President, Vice President, and Treasurer of the gun club. 

Captain Clark

VP Picacho Gun Club 

10 hours ago, Sleepy Floyd said:

OLG,

I have not heard HMFIC in many years.

Sleepy

Was just thinking the same thing!!

Tread lightly, Lumpy!!:lol:

Shouldn't be any problem.  Now if you were using them as cap and ball, I'd be worried enough to ask the range master. 

Last time i went to a public range, I got in trouble for shooting gunfighter style.  I completely forgot that made people nervous.  I tried to explain to them that I'm an expert at it, but no dice.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

HMFIC=Head Male or Female In Charge.

What else could it mean? ^_^

OLG

Her Majesty's Finest Ice Cream.

Careful now...using such acronyms might cause some folks to "self-offend" themselves by translating them differently!

...writing from past experience.

:ph34r:

the range i work at [open to the public] requires you to load at the shooting position , SAA cannot shoot so fast as to draw a rapid fire complaint if you discuss it up front with the RO , and dittos the quote below , 

"Loading and shooting conversion cylinders is pretty much the same as using a gun with a magazine, IMO.  If you keep the muzzle pointed downrange during all manipulations, I don't see anything that would cause concern.  What would they object to?" 

Archived