SASS Wire Forum

Cap & Ball Survey…

Dutch Wheeler

I know that percussion pistols CAN be shot with Black Powder in ANY category.  I have shot mine in Frontier Cartridge.  I would like to shoot Frontiersman, but shooting Duelist Style is not in my skill set at this time.  I’ve tried. :(

I am left-handed and had Rotator Cuff Surgery on my left shoulder a year ago.  I am pain free with full range of motion, but the strength on my left side is not quite back to where it was yet.  Shooting one handed with my left, a 3 pound pistol gets unsteady, quickly.  My right side is stronger, but shooting a pistol with my right hand is awkward, with a lot of misses!

So I am curious as to what is popular out there. 

Other than Frontiersman, what other categories are you Cap ‘N’ Ballers shooting in?

I have recently shot in Frontier Cartridge, Elder Statesman, Cowboy with the kids, with both ROAs and Uberti Navy .36s

I can still shoot duelist style (just not as fast anymore) so you will see me in Frontiersman, Frontier Cartridge Duelist, and Gunfighter occasionally.  A couple of years ago I entered the State Championship match as a Classic Cowboy and used percussion revolvers, and if I hadn't sold my .45 Colt rifle, I would do it again.

Shoot them two handed and amaze your posse!!  :D

Dutch!!  You're talking about categories that allow two hands on the pistol!!  Shoot Senior and Silver Senior!!  I shoot Outlaw, Frontiersman, Frontier Cartridge, and Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter, normally. I've shot Senior and Wrangler a time or two with my cap guns too!!!

Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter with .44 Cap Gun Snubbies.  You could try Snubbies.  A pair of 1860 Snubbies would be the lightest.  Or:  As suggested just switch to some of the age based categories and shoot two fisted. 

3 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

I know that percussion pistols CAN be shot with Black Powder in ANY category.  I have shot mine in Frontier Cartridge.  I would like to shoot Frontiersman, but shooting Duelist Style is not in my skill set at this time.  I’ve tried. :(

I am left-handed and had Rotator Cuff Surgery on my left shoulder a year ago.  I am pain free with full range of motion, but the strength on my left side is not quite back to where it was yet.  Shooting one handed with my left, a 3 pound pistol gets unsteady, quickly.  My right side is stronger, but shooting a pistol with my right hand is awkward, with a lot of misses!

So I am curious as to what is popular out there. 

Other than Frontiersman, what other categories are you Cap ‘N’ Ballers shooting in?

Shoot in your age based group and you'll probably be the only Cap and Baller, you'll get style points!:P

All of them except the kid's and ladies categories up to Silver Senior.  Folks have said when shooting two-handed... "I didn't know you could run a C&B that fast!"  Which is true when you have a cap jam or other phopaw!  But, if your C&B revolver are set up right, there shouldn't be any reason you can't!

I would get my strength built back up in arm. Get a tennis ball to squeeze while watching tv. Lift your revolver up and hold it then relax and do over again. You'll be surprised how soon it will rehabilitate.. Good luck. I hope to shoot with you at Wilmington this year some.

28 minutes ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

I would get my strength built back up in arm. Get a tennis ball to squeeze while watching tv. Lift your revolver up and hold it then relax and do over again. You'll be surprised how soon it will rehabilitate.. Good luck. I hope to shoot with you at Wilmington this year some.

Thanks Blue Wolf, I lift dumb bells and still do PT with Therabands, but the tear to my Rotator Cuff was pretty massive, so it is a slow go.  I know my strength  will get there eventually, but I want to shoot my '58's in an upcoming Regional BP Match, and don't think I will be up to shooting it Frontiersman this year.

2 hours ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

I hope to shoot with you at Wilmington this year some.

That would be great!  Are you planning a trip to Ohio?

Hey Dutch:

When my shoulder was hurtin' badly I usually shot FC or Senior with my cap guns.

I did not really care for shooting 2-handed, but at least I was shooting black powder & my cap guns!

But then, I don't care about winning, so If I don't think I can shoot one-handed all the match, I sign up for a category that allows 2-handed, and shoot duelist until my old body forces me to go to 2 hands.

Hope to make it down to Wilmington this Summer.

--Dawg

47 minutes ago, Blue Wolf , SASS# 29424L said:

I'm from WCH. 

Did not know that!  Your profile lists Decatur, Al. :unsure: 

You are close to Wilmington and Greene County Cowboys in Xenia... Come out and have some fun with us! :D

Archived