SASS Wire Forum

Need help on a rule AD at the line

gunrunner joe #17093

What is the rule

A cowboy is at the start of a stage the buzzer goes off he draw his first pistole and look like he cocks it when take it out of the holster and it went off match DQ. The bullet hit the ground 3” from his boot

So, when do you cock the hammer. So, tell me. I though it hade to be point down range or at least 15ft down range

He is right hand and shot the left gun when pulling it

Thank you for your help

When drawing a Revolver from its holster, the revolver may not be cocked until it is pointed safely downrange (at a 45° angle downrange).

Page 14,  Shooters Handbook  Vers 22_3

Was he drawing from crossdraw? if he is drawing from straight hang and transferring gun from one hand to the other while cocked its also a penalty. 

and Grouchy is correct, revolver is to be 45 degrees before cocking.  

Glad nobody was hurt, and hopefully this shooter has learned a lesson! 

23 minutes ago, gunrunner joe #17093 said:

When are you a loude to cock the hammer?

Thank you

Page 14 of the shooter's handbook, under firearms conventions. 

" When drawing a Revolver from its holster, the revolver may not be cocked until
it is pointed safely downrange (at a 45° angle downrange).
"

Like others said, I'm just the first one to quote the chapter and verse for you.  Oh and that would have been an MSV if the gun hadn't discharged too early. 

15 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Page 14 of the shooter's handbook, under firearms conventions. 

" When drawing a Revolver from its holster, the revolver may not be cocked until
it is pointed safely downrange (at a 45° angle downrange).
"

Like others said, I'm just the first one to quote the chapter and verse for you.  Oh and that would have been an MSV if the gun hadn't discharged too early. 

Did you happen to read the first reply to the OP???

;)

On 2/19/2018 at 9:57 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The type of holster is irrelevant...penalty is a MDQ.

yes,  type of holdster does not matter. What  I was just curious if the AD occurred while changing gun from one hand to the other. if he was swapping hands with cocked pistol it would be a SDQ. Granted, a moot point since he also had the MDQ, but if shooter was changing hands with cocked gun may need some instructions on rules. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

yes,  type of holdster does not matter. What  I was just curious if the AD occurred while changing gun from one hand to the other. if he was swapping hands with cocked pistol it would be a SDQ. Granted, a moot point since he also had the MDQ, but if shooter was changing hands with cocked gun may need some instructions on rules. 

The OP indicated that the revolver was cocked while drawing and was pointed DOWN when it went off...doesn't appear that any "changing hands" was involved when it went off.

A cowboy is at the start of a stage the buzzer goes off he draw his first pistole and look like he cocks it when take it out of the holster and it went off match DQ. The bullet hit the ground 3” from his boot

He is right hand and shot the left gun when pulling it

Archived