SASS Wire Forum

SASS, The Early Days

McCandless

On 12/12/2020 at 11:30 PM, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Wow! great stuff and great memories!

SASS was a everything to Me for many years, ,till age and body wore out!

Great post! THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!

I haven't even looked at the Wire in years, so this was big fun...My old Pard Yakima Kid contacted me and am really enjoying the wire!

To all My Old Pards That still remember Me, Hope you are all well and doing great!

I miss every one of you! Best years of my Life!

Keep on 'Keepin' On!

Yer Pard,

Sixgun Shorty

It's great to see you posting again!

Stick around....

OLG

Wow!

Didn't know anyone remembered me!:D:unsure::FlagAm:

Many Thanks to al!

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Wow!

Didn't know anyone remembered me!:D:unsure::FlagAm:

Many Thanks to al!

I recamember yuz Sixgun Shorty.  You needed a magazine for your High Standard HD Military and I had 4. I sold you one, hope it worked out for ya and got the 

gun shooting.  We also chipped in and paid a Pards Dues cuz he was about broke. We did good!! I should talk to you about my Colts made in 1900 and both in .38-40 WCF. Also a Colt Bisley model in 38-40 WCF from 1902, come outta TEXAS, 3 gens in the same family.  Pair of Colt 1878 Frontier six shooters. one in 44-40 WCF and one in Colt 45. I need a loading gate for the .45 16XXX. I understand there are early and late of the 52XXX built.

IMG_2021.JPG

IMG_2024.JPG

Colts 1878.jpg

Edited by Big Jake1001

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, Snakebite said:

img008.jpg

Flint has his cigar, and probably has some fine single malt back at the RV...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2020 at 12:30 AM, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Wow! great stuff and great memories!

SASS was a everything to Me for many years, ,till age and body wore out!

Great post! THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES!

I haven't even looked at the Wire in years, so this was big fun...My old Pard Yakima Kid contacted me and am really enjoying the wire!

To all My Old Pards That still remember Me, Hope you are all well and doing great!

I miss every one of you! Best years of my Life!

Keep on 'Keepin' On!

Yer Pard,

Sixgun Shorty

Wow!  Of course we remember you.  You are sorely missed.

Happy Holidays pard!

• Like 2

416821129_DocTicTocandIslandGirlEoT1999.thumb.jpg.86a7697efabdf14504c79f7f330d5ee9.jpg   

EOT 1999:  Doc Tic Toc and Island Girl   

1350344862_PadenTolbertandIslandGirl.thumb.jpg.5f672e0a43f2f782e3ce1074f6261825.jpg

EOT 1999:  Paden Tolbert and Island Girl

Edited by McCandless
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

1844903832_NevadaBlake(JerryGeist)SASSLife276.AmastermachinisthebuilttheGatlingguninthephoto.thumb.jpg.01b75158b4d3de18fabbe6b4450e3d55.jpg

Nevada Blake (Jerry Geist) SASS Life 276. A master machinist, built the Gatling gun in the photo

It fired 45 caliber blanks.

Edited by McCandless
grammer
  • Like 4

Now that is very cool!

• Like 1

Hey Big Jake

Nice collection of Colts!

Wish i could help you with parts, but the one part i no longer have are generational loading gates

If you find one, make sure it has a part number stamped  on it( will not be the serial #!)....Not all do, but your 1st gens  should all have a parts # on the gate

I retired and gave up my FFL Class 3 License 6 years ago when my wife passed away.

I still have  a lot of parts and a lot of Colt SAA's and 1911's...probably ought to start selling them as i don't shoot very much anymore

One thing I've found about being a Colt Collector is that they are really hard to part with! But i also don't want to see them wind up in a garage sale!

I have about 15 Colt SAA's, including a few real rarities and about 18 Colt 1911's of all gens also going back to 1917....But I have NO 1911A1's at all...I never liked the arched

mainspring housing...

Thanks Jake,,,Nice to 'hear' from you!

• Like 1

21151558_10210751074957375_8716485614007596139_n.jpg.45b0abc29d33ce18a5793a4598621a8b.jpg

SASS Mounted Shooters, EOT 2000.  James Butler Hickok (L). and Rio Bigg (c.)

21151303_10210751083877598_476442379979069538_n.jpg.6600ce8dfb72299e8fa3f1d31fb74392.jpg

Rio Bigg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not as Early as most of the pics here...

Monthly Match at the CVV Club in Texas from 2005

It was filmed by a Japanese Film crew for a Japanese  Gun magazine

and I believe was shown on Nippon TV.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 11:45 AM, Tuolumne Lawman 6127 said:

Hahaha!  Senior moment., I lived in MADERA then!  I may have to come down next year.  I consider the early days pre- 2000-2002 or so. They still had "The John Wayne Test" back then, most of the current stuff would not pass! LOL.  Mouse f@rt loads, Titanium firing pins, aluminum followers and short stroke kits ARE NOT from the early days. 

Rifle target would be 25-35 yards or more, pistol at 10-15 yards, and targets about 1/3 the size! Railroad Flat had a 50 yard bell in a bell tower.  Stages were scenarios with a script, props, and a theme.

367839856_RobinT.Banks-(JimReidR.I.P.).jpg.67c4f934009942a5ca3dc0210fd8859e.jpg

Robin T. Banks  

479296085_RobinTBanksCherokeeCharlieDoubleDealerSanQuintontheaforementionedJoeWestCoyoteCalhounandgentlemenJames.jpg.7cbeec168389d4597e933c930ff862f5.jpg

The Magnificent Seven: Robin T Banks, (R.I.P), Cherokee Charlie, Double Dealer, San Quinton, Joe West, Coyote Calhoun, (R.I.P.) and Gentlemen James, (R.I.P.)

• Like 2

Fond memories!  Thanks!

I was in the Wartrace picture!

I remmeber when CVV was just starting but I had to move abut then, but I got to shoot there a few times.

And of course remember the Magnificent 7 for here in Georgia.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Scrolling through all these photos has lightened my heart and brought a tear to my eye. So many wonderful memories. 

Thank you for starting this thread and posting all the photos McCandless.  
Thanks to everyone else for their photos. 
Allie Mo :wub: Thank you for pinning this so we can all enjoy some history and some fun. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

EoT 1999 panoramic photo (5-part)
Re-posted for Snakebite.

99EOT 1.jpg

99eot 2.jpg

99EOT 3.jpg

99EOT 4.jpg

99EOT 5.jpg

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
space photos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 8:05 AM, Ethan Cord said:

Hi Scott! Great to see you back on the wire! Are you still driving those Vipers?

Howdy Ethan

Actually, I gave my Viper to my Daughter on her 42nd birthday

I had an original 1969 Camaro Z28 that I had never gotten around to restoring, so spent nearly 2 years doing a frame off resto mod..all state of the art modern parts except the original body and a few other key parts.... I bought it as a numbers matching original 302 Z28, but decided to resto it into a show car  after driving it stock for several years...Finally finished it and have been  making the car show circuit for a few years prior to Covid

In the summer, it's my daily driver..Not much good in Lake Tahoe in winters!

It's entered in Hot August Nights in Reno this August.

I'd love to keep competing and cowboying, but age and surgeries finally caught up with me..I sure do miss it, particularly all the good pards i made in my 12 years of SASS. Just the finest years of my Life!

Those were great times! And great Memories!

Edited by Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

I had an original 1969 Camaro Z28 that I had never gotten around to restoring, so spent nearly 2 years doing a frame off resto mod..all state of the art modern parts except the original body and a few other key parts.... I bought it as a numbers matching original 302 Z28

It's entered in Hot August Nights in Reno this August.

Sixgun,

Your 69 Z-28 sounds like an awesome car!

I had a 1970 1/2 Z-28 in my early to mid 20's but traded it off. My youngest son now has an original 1971 SS/RS Camaro.

I am currently putting together the components to rebuild a 1969 302 Z-28 engine that I will drop into my 1972 El Camino. I have the block, pistons, crank shaft, solid lifter cam and a single 4 barrel intake manifold so far. I am looking for a factory dual quad manifold, but no luck so far. I have not decided if I will go with stock cast iron 2.02 heads or use aftermarket aluminum yet. In a world of LS swaps and computer controlled horsepower, I am still hooked on original small block Chevy engines and manual transmissions. My 1963 Landcruiser has a 327 Chevy engine. 

Maybe I can make up to Reno in August. Hot August Nights looks like a fantastic event.

Best regards,

Ethan

image.thumb.png.5455ebe427b0a7d2cdea582798e4a0cd.png

Z28IMG_2183.jpg

Z28IMG_2186.jpg

Z28IMG_2184.jpg

• Like 7

Ethan

I have a bunch of original parts, gauges, steering wheels, mostly small original accessories, emblems, 302, Camaro,lights, etc etc ,Chevrolet, Hurst shifter and 4 speed Hurst Knob, lots more

I sold the original 302 with Holley 760cfm 4 barrel, Hooker headers, and Muncie M21 4 speed

If i have anything you may need, they are yours for FREE!

I dropped a new Chevy ZZ6 350 ci 420 HP with Edelbrock EFI and Tremec 6 speed in my Resto, Mod....Stainless Works long headers and dual exhaust, Billet specialties wheels and steering wheel..all exterior trim is powder coated black including wheels, Hurst shifter, serpentine pulley system,,,,I basically started with bare frame and sub frame and built it up with all modern components..Drives Great

Still using original 12 bolt rear with 373 gears and Positraction

• Like 3

On 3/11/2018 at 5:50 AM, McCandless said:

5aa53348c7c4a_ColonelSirHarryPagetFlashman1989.thumb.jpg.7e62041480b2021f5c8f6f8c2e680a45.jpg

Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman, EoT 1989. "The two young ladies came prepared to shoot, and shoot they did!

They had loads for all their guns that would make even the biggest men flinch!"

The lady on the left is Aurie Bradley (whose alias I don’t recall).  The lady on the right is May Lillie, wife of the late great Pawnee Bill (who won a number of the early costuming awards in the early days). The nice thing about this picture is that their clothes are period perfect.  Today, most of the clothes seen in SASS scream “COSTUME”.  These look like clothes.  They did shoot full house BP loads and did it with style.  

Edited by Doc Coles SASS 1188
  • Like 4

On 3/17/2021 at 4:33 PM, Sixgun Shorty, SASS #35717 Life said:

Ethan

I have a bunch of original parts, gauges, steering wheels, mostly small original accessories, emblems, 302, Camaro,lights, etc etc ,Chevrolet, Hurst shifter and 4 speed Hurst Knob, lots more

I sold the original 302 with Holley 760cfm 4 barrel, Hooker headers, and Muncie M21 4 speed

If i have anything you may need, they are yours for FREE!

I dropped a new Chevy ZZ6 350 ci 420 HP with Edelbrock EFI and Tremec 6 speed in my Resto, Mod....Stainless Works long headers and dual exhaust, Billet specialties wheels and steering wheel..all exterior trim is powder coated black including wheels, Hurst shifter, serpentine pulley system,,,,I basically started with bare frame and sub frame and built it up with all modern components..Drives Great

Still using original 12 bolt rear with 373 gears and Positraction

You sold off the original 302? :o :( I have been dyin for years to put together a small block with a cross-ram manifold with dual fuel injection throttle bodies on it. Marriage... kids... kids... kids' school... still determined though.

Went to Sebring over the weekend for the 12 - hour. Went past Fort White exit; maybe someday I'll get there for the BP matches.

The 302 does not like EFI...Chevy told me Not to even try to adapt fuel injection to it...I'm sure you could possibly get it to work, buj it was built for the Big Holley 760

Holley built a one off 4BBL 760cfm  carb just for the 302

I live at 7000' in the Sierras..constantly go from 7000' to 4000' in Carson Valley..EFI made a lot more sense than rejetting the carb constantly. Plus I wanted a  Custom Z28 that drove better than the original and had EFI due to altitude

I did have fun with the original 302, but the ZZ6 350 i replaced it with is much more drivable

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Griff said:

OH YES!!!  I have one more project to finish, then... that's what's going in my '91 RS....  Unless a smokin' deal comes along on a LS3!

Guys, with all due respect, and as a car guy myself, let me just ask what do your cars have to do with early days is SASS? 

• Thanks 1