SASS Wire Forum

Posse Determination

Juiceharp Jen

I know m local club typically has two posses and is willing to put families that share equipment in the same posse.  Other than that, I would like to know if there are typical conventions or guidelines for forming posses.  For example, is it normal to put known plinkers in one posse and group more competitive folks in another posse?  Or is it more typical to try and mix plinkers with competitirs so that one posse does not complete the match much more quickly than the other?

Juiceharp Jen:

You might find this thread I started has a lot of good information posted by a vast representative of our SASS Clubs.

Hope this helps. It's the best contribution to your question I can provide.

Jen -

For monthly matches most clubs I shoot with just put out the number of posse sheets expected to be needed and let folks sign up on whichever one they want.  At times adjustments are needed to ensure enough TOs, or to equalize posse size.  That way folks can shoot with who they want, or even avoid folks if they want.

For annuals, the match officials populate the posses, starting first with the PM, and then filling the posse to ensure enough TOs, accommodate posse with requests when possible, and also balance the posses as far as number, and speed of shooters, especially if the match is full with a posse starting on each shooting bay.  Posse sizes aren't necessarily identical, but the relative amount of time necessary to complete a stage should be.  For example, you can have more fast shooters on a single posse than slow shooters.  In general I think a mix is best.

With monthly matches, where there are often several bays between posses, balanced posses are less important as they are much less likely to catch up to the posse ahead.

I hope that helps.

Grizz

we generally have right around 20 shooters, which is a terrible #. too mnay for 1 posse, and too few for 2! but we split at 20. this is our posse splitting matrix.  Splitting posses can be very tricky, especially on-the-fly while last minute folks show up. 

Club officer

2 TOs (one is club officer)

family members

then we try to even out buckaroos, slow shooters, non-workers, experienced vs newcomers etc. 

we also started intentionally splitting up some shooters due to personality issues.

we start 1 & 4, and always put the lady who is in charge of lunch on posse 1 so she is closer to the lunch pavilion as the match ends (pavilion is close to stage 6) 

It aint perfect, but its what we have! 

Hi Jen,

At The Outlaws, folks ask to be possed with "so and so" or make no request. As we frequently have a plethora of non-shooting helpers, we may break at 10. My optimum posse size is 12-15. I ensure there are always at least two experienced TOs on every posse.

Never ever posse all of the Frontiersmen on one posse as it could create a backlog unless there are numerous non-Frontiersmen on the posse.

Regards,

Allie

Every club has a twist to setting up posses.  Ours does the sign up method like Grizzly Dave's does.  20 is not too big for a posse.  We'd have half of the posse do the work part, timing, picking brass, 3 spotters, reset the stage, loading table duty, unloading table duty, so it takes a few folks.  The other half was getting ready, loading, one on deck, shooting, unloading and putting away.  This along with picture taking, a potty breaks makes it easier to have a few extra folks on a posse.

Archived