SASS Wire Forum

If You Need a New Guncart....

I understand that the Rugged Gear carts have become very popular....

But if you need to spend a bit less, or if you're not real crazy about the modern look, or if you like to be a bit different and have some energy......

You might consider this:

On sale now for $78:

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200333865_200333865?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=021518_Liquidation_1&utm_campaign=eDeals&utm_content=P9&cm_lm=4223942&STATE=NH&HOT_MEM_CODE=&MARKETCODE=&om_rid=AAQHPG&om_mid=_BahZJmB9k$1Wvo

A simple, sturdy welding cart, that with some spray paint, wood scraps, hardware, felt and leather can become a decent and easy-rolling upright cart.

I used shop scraps of mahogany, left over from house projects - but any decent wood would do.  The boxes are lined with bits of felt, glued in with wood glue.  The brass bits and hardware came from the hardware store or my spares box.  The knob on the lid is a kitchen cabinet knob.  The spray paint is Rustoleum, and it gives a hammered-looking finish.  The leather wrap on the handle is a scrap of deer hide left from another project.

The only "new" items are the wheels; after a couple of years, the original wheels leaked constantly, so I switch to foam filled tires.

Because of the low axle, a single finger on the handle will rock the cart back slightly, and off you go.  Four long guns, two pistols, 2 matches-worth of ammo in the box, a space for the cooler in the base, hooks on the sides for brass bags, and a hole in the center of the upper rack and the base for an umbrella.  And a touch of brass for the Steampunkers. Lays flat in the back of my Jeep.  Weighs about 50#, but the boxes are removable if you need to lighten it up.

Perfectomundo!

LL

010.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

002.jpg

14 minutes ago, Zeb Gray, #36839 said:

My first cart 2006.  What Loophole says, but heavy & too big for one shooter.  I donated it to a nearby club for a loaner & built a smaller, folding cart. 

That's why I replaced the wheel cotter pins with hitch pins (easy and quick in and out), and the nuts and bolts that hold the handle on with large headed speed nuts.  The bottom box is also held on with two wing nuts.  Fast to dis-assemble into 5 small parts, and will fit in the trunk if you need it to.

LL

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That's why I replaced the wheel cotter pins with hitch pins (easy and quick in and out), and the nuts and bolts that hold the handle on with large headed speed nuts.  The bottom box is also held on with two wing nuts.  Fast to dis-assemble into 5 small parts, and will fit in the trunk if you need it to.

LL

I too used axle hitch pins & wing nuts on the handle.  The box could be rotated so cart laid flat to roll into the bed of my pickup.  It was from Harbor Freight.  I've since bought more to use for transporting/storing the speaker stands for the voice pull trap machines at my sportsmen's club trap range. 

P3130148.JPG

Yep. With a little work, they make a handy cart. I got mine from Harbor Freight after my first shoot. A shooter by the name of Dirty Chris let me share his, and I ended up going that route. It is on the heavy side, but not too heavy for me to get into the bed of my truck.

Love your set up Ozzy, but aren't the long guns supposed to be muzzle up at matches?

And while I'm there, muzzle up is going to take some gettin used to for me after 30 years of military indoctrination to muzzle down.

Archived