SASS Wire Forum

Scout Belt History

Juiceharp Jen

My search skills must be poor today, because all my queries are getting swallowed up in Boy Scout belt search results.  What I'd like to learn about is the historical development and use of the scout style gunbelt, any advantages or disadvantages versus the ranger style gunbelt, and the reasons, if any, for the scout belt falling out of fashion and when that occurred.  Any good links out there?

Hi Jen,

What is a "scout belt"?  Is it the boy scout style buckle?  Is it canvas?

Mo

4 hours ago, Juiceharp Jen said:

My search skills must be poor today, because all my queries are getting swallowed up in Boy Scout belt search results.  What I'd like to learn about is the historical development and use of the scout style gunbelt, any advantages or disadvantages versus the ranger style gunbelt, and the reasons, if any, for the scout belt falling out of fashion and when that occurred.  Any good links out there?

Juiceharp Jen:

Here's a link that might be what you are looking for.

http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com/scout-style-belts.html

5a846681b1db4_ScoutBeltPic.jpg-RESIZED.jpg.f3aafe72717fcec7b97ceeb53cd6f64d.jpg

5a8466922bd55_ScoutBelts.JPG.b3bcd566c6476f12a4c3b440bb165df4.JPG

Checked my correspondence and the craftsman who did my rig suggested the buckle to the rear specifically to make room for a slide up front with a cross draw.  So I guess the buckle can be front or back.  I like the taper in the back because it effectively functions as a cutout for my camel hump.  :-)

Archived