SASS Wire Forum

shooting ranges around Las Vegas Nv.

Noah Cash

I will be stopping in Las Vegas for a couple of days on my way to Winter Range.  I will be there Thursday and Friday.

Are there any ranges around that are open to the public that reach out to 300 to 600 yards?  I found the Clark county range but I believe that goes only to 200 Yds.  My wife gave me a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and I would like to try it out at more than the 100 yards I have locally.  

Any  locals around there have suggestions??

Appreciate any input ya'll may have.

NC

1 hour ago, Noah Cash said:

I will be stopping in Las Vegas for a couple of days on my way to Winter Range.  I will be there Thursday and Friday.

Are there any ranges around that are open to the public that reach out to 300 to 600 yards?  I found the Clark county range but I believe that goes only to 200 Yds.  My wife gave me a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and I would like to try it out at more than the 100 yards I have locally.  

Any  locals around there have suggestions??

Appreciate any input ya'll may have.

NC

None of the ranges that go out that far are open to Non-members.

Why not hit some BLM land nearby where shooting is allowed. It’s the desert. Make your own long range shoot. Check out the maps in these links:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1SioL8Pt6YrZIS4C5-fwHSxb9EpU&hl=en&ll=35.52390261680903%2C-115.26550750000001&z=7

http://nevadacarry.blogspot.com/2016/01/desert-shooting-spots-in-southern-nevada.html?m=1

And this link will tell you about areas that are off limits.

http://theshooterslife.com/las-vegas-gun-stores/las-vegas-public-shooting-areas/

Contact the BLM office in Las Vegas for details and maps.

https://www.blm.gov/office/las-vegas-field-office

You must travel outside the Las Vegas valley to shoot on public land.

It is difficult to find flat land that isn't being used by someone anywhere in southern Nevada. Those areas that are marked on the map have either been closed or are being used by so many "shooters" that your life will be in jeopardy trying to set up a target at 300+ yards. 

There is one area, where the Nevada Rangers use to shoot, that is accessible.  

If you drive towards Jean, Nevada on the old Nevada highway. (It parallels Interstate 15). You turn east on a dirt rode about 2 miles North of Jean and pass under the railroad tracks and take the next dirt rode to the right. The area has been cleaned of brush and you can set up a target out to 500 yds if you don't mind shooting uphill at about 20 degrees. Watch out for ATV riders on the mountain behind your target.

We stopped shooting there for many reasons but the ATVer were high on the list on the weekends. There isn't as many during the week.

12 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The area has been cleaned of brush and you can set up a target out to 500 yds if you don't mind shooting uphill at about 20 degrees.

Twenty degrees? That's about a 36 1/2% grade... Bring a snack and a bottle of water - you'll be ready for it after climbing 500 yards up a slope like that, carrying targets and whatnot. If you can take even a 20" long step going up such a grade, each step would equal nearly 7 1/2" in elevation. :blink:

1 hour ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Twenty degrees? That's about a 36 1/2% grade... Bring a snack and a bottle of water - you'll be ready for it after climbing 500 yards up a slope like that, carrying targets and whatnot. If you can take even a 20" long step going up such a grade, each step would equal nearly 7 1/2" in elevation. :blink:

Most people drive their vehicle.

Noah, I think they just opened a 1000yd. range near Layton.  Down at Price where the State CAS shoot will be this year they have A beautiful long range facility. I have out to 1400meters here but that part of my range is reserved for military.

Noah , do not know the details of the range used , but a fellow by the name of Denny Wilcox used to put on a long range BPCR shoot somewhere out by Promontory. I have not been there so do not know if it is a private range or public , or if it is a formal range at all. Might check in to it.  Try a search on the Shiloh Sharps forum to see if he is still putting on those matches.

It just occurred to me that they may have put on VinBAR matches also.

Might be worth a look , and pretty close to home.

Rex , a former Utah resident(Vernal 1977-1986 , 1989-1996 , 2004-2008) :D

Thanks for the information Rex I am familiar with the promontory Range Danny Wilcox and Peter Sodoma are pretty good friends of mine. I’ve been to the Price shoot a number of times as well and that is one beautiful Range. I just have not had time to get to the price range lately, and the promontory range is open by Danny and Peter for special events and shooting matches. If you didn’t know it, there’s also a new range north of Ogden Near  The town of Perry. It’s called the 3 mile Creek Range. It will be open later in the spring, close now because migratory birds nest there. I was just hoping to get in some long-range shooting down around Vegas because the weather is so nice. Thanks to all for their replies 

Archived