SASS Wire Forum

Proper Etiquette at the Firing Line

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

you want to be disrupted,, have you own phone go off in a pocket just as you start shooting,,,,

I often don't hear the TO but I can hear someone say my name while I'm shooting,,, ugh

and yes, other shooters need to pipe DOWN when someone is shooting,,,  and yes we all forget to do that occasionally

21 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

The ringtone that you selected to have in your original post is my ringtone.

Kajun

Mine too. I have my phone on and in my back pocket at all times. As deaf as most folks are, I’ve never worried about it disturbing them.  In four years, though,  nobody has ever called me during a match. I guess I’m just not that popular or important. 

8 minutes ago, Redwood Kid said:

In four years, though,  nobody has ever called me during a match. I guess I’m just not that popular or important. 

You don't have to be popular or important - that phone call I got when I was on the firing line was just a junk robocall.  I think it it was Heather from credit card services. She calls me all the time. I sometimes talk back to her, like asking her if she is a robot, but she never waivers. :lol:

Even though my cell phone plays the Marine Corps Hymn, I set it to airplane mode wherever I shoot.. Border Marauders range rules require that.

Always important to have multiple cell phones in gun carts down on the range, and not in cars, for emergencies. If a bad medical issue occurs (gunshot, heart attack, heat stroke, etc) calling 911 and getting an ambulance rolling quickly is important. 

My only distraction complaint is when you're spotting and others want to chit chat after the buzzer. I just ignore them until the shooter is done. 

Dusty Sometimes

What is wrong with you folks? Your phone rings in the middle of the stage your shooting and you don’t answer it on the clock?

We pretty poor coverage at our range. Most folks do a sorta dance to get a signal.

On 2/13/2018 at 5:52 PM, Lead Friend, SASS #53635 said:

A big part of playing cowboy is the suspension of disbelief. We dress like cowboys (and cowgirls) for fun and out of respect for other participants. Having a phone ring during a match completely demolishes the suspension of disbelief. Its disrespectful to other cowboys and cowgirls.

There was No Timers and eight foot steal  targets Seven feet   in front of you ether in the Old West .

I agree with keeping it on Vibrate. 

But some of us have Jobs that are on call 24/7 and have No Choice but to carry a Cell Phone .

I gotta chuckle when folks get riled up over someone else's disturbing their perceived NEED of an ambiance at the range.  The reason I chuckle?  It reminds me of the fellar that shot with us and would bring a boom box to play musical accompaniment while he shot.  Annoyed the snot out of some, tickled others pink.

Hmmm... I wonder if the tempo of his theme music affected his shooting pace?  

As for "common courtesy," ain't that like "common sense?"   Something demonstrated far too infrequently to be "common" anymore!

Usually noises don't bother me, I learned to tune them out when working in a Clock Shop for five years.

Some noises do bother me as I'm programmed to listen to them. Specifically the TO giving unnecessary commands. Geez it really ripped me when the TO told me to shoot over a downed target (he is aware that I've been shooting over 10 years longer than him) and practically told me every target to engage. To top all of that, he held the timer in my peripheral vision the entire stage. Now that stuff irritates me. Next time he runs the timer for me, I will tell him no coaching unless I ask and to keep the timer out of sight except for the last shot.

I work for a living. Last job was 24/7 even on vacation. My phone was on me and set on LOUD. Anybody didn't like it they were more than welcome to take over for me so I didn't have to worry about it for ONE DAY. 

What bothers me is folks jabbering. What could have been a couple favorite videos of me and Kaya are all people running their yaps at full volume. 

Archived