SASS Wire Forum

1st succefull AR-15 as tested by the US Army

Many may have forgotten what the first AR-15 looked like as tested by the Army. We see or read "retro" but this is how the real retro looked like, Glad they changed the charging handle. The furniture was first conceived as being brown also. They were looking at a wood type look.  MT

5a82ee08e2712_Image(9).jpg.68e801ec629bcdb34484d476ab2cd56e.jpg5a82ee08e2712_Image(9).jpg.68e801ec629bcdb34484d476ab2cd56e.jpg

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

That charging handle config looks like it would have allowed lots of FOD to enter the action.

Impossible to use with heavy gloves too.

6 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Heavy gloves in Nam?

It wasn’t designed specifically for Nam. ;) 

F98CBE6C-8A30-4DBD-956B-A6B8D6B6A685.jpeg

Many people don’t know it, the AR 10 in 7.62 was developed before the AR 15. 

Have you seen the "Retro" AR-15's that Brownell's is advertising? They look a lot like the pictures above but I don't know if they have that charging "trigger". They do have the 1:12 barrel twist with the brown furniture.

By golly some do have the trigger charging handle:

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapid=606/ClientPage/brownells-retro

There is some interesting info on each rifle if you click "discover more".

BRN-10

brn-10a-landingpage.png?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

BRN-601

brn-601-landingpage-2.png?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Have you seen the "Retro" AR-15's that Brownell's is advertising? They look a lot like the pictures above but I don't know if they have that charging "trigger". They do have the 1:12 barrel twist with the brown furniture.

By golly some do have the trigger charging handle:

https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/bapid=606/ClientPage/brownells-retro

There is some interesting info on each rifle if you click "discover more".

BRN-10

brn-10a-landingpage.png?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

BRN-601

brn-601-landingpage-2.png?yocs=p_&yoloc=us

Wonder what kind of markings they will put on them, Brownell? Good find. MT

If you go to the “Discover More” link from the initial website (posted above) there are some detailed photos. The only markings I saw on the BRN-601 model were in this photo. Very simple / plain.

brownells-retro-rifle-line/brn-601 Back Side

20 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It wasn’t designed specifically for Nam. ;) 

F98CBE6C-8A30-4DBD-956B-A6B8D6B6A685.jpeg

They must be guarding the Canadian border keeping out illegals...LOL!

With the Brownells name on the receiver it made me think of how once upon a time, several chain stores sold firearms with their name on them.

Coast to Coast, J.C.Penny, Gambles, Sears, and Western Auto to name but a few.

Here is a cross reference list I found

Interesting read on the history of the M16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

I wondered when the military switched from the 1:12 twist rate to the 1:7 (1967). I am not sure but the table in this link may have errors in this regard. I thought for a while the 1:9 twist was used. I may be mistaken as I was never a big modern military weapons buff.

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

BS,

That's a late June exercise at Ft Drum, NY.;)

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting read on the history of the M16. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

I wondered when the military switched from the 1:12 twist rate to the 1:7 (1967). I am not sure but the table in this link may have errors in this regard. I thought for a while the 1:9 twist was used. I may be mistaken as I was never a big modern military weapons buff.

I always was under the impression that original Stoners were 1:14, later issued M16 were 1:12.. It wasn't till the 80s that the twist was made to 1:7 in M16a2s, and later M4, etc. models. because of the new heavier 62gr M855 cartridge. The twist will handle everything up to 90grs and stabilize same.  MT

The 1:7 is also a great stabilizer for shorter barrels. My wife's AR is a 1:7, were mine is a 1:12. 

6 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

BS,

That's a late June exercise at Ft Drum, NY.;)

FT DRUM!!

Slowly I turned.....:angry:

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

FT DRUM!!

Slowly I turned.....:angry:

UB

I forgot that you were a US Army winter time warrior. Capable of fighting from skis, skates, snowshoes, snowboards, bobsleds, luge sleds, skeleton...........Didn't mean to bring back bad memories of a very desolate place. 

15 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

UB

I forgot that you were a US Army winter time warrior. Capable of fighting from skis, skates, snowshoes, snowboards, bobsleds, luge sleds, skeleton...........Didn't mean to bring back bad memories of a very desolate place. 

Desolate is the nicest thing I can say about it. Having flashbacks now. Wind, snow, wolves, barbecued porcupine! 

Where's my emotional support Marmot when I need him?

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Desolate is the nicest thing I can say about it. Having flashbacks now. Wind, snow, wolves, barbecued porcupine! 

Where's my emotional support Marmot when I need him?

I've been there. It's not the far side of the world...............but, you can see it from there.

And here I thought the elk, mulies, and bear, from your great pics, were your emotional support animals.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Not really.  They are guarding against the huge mosquitos from up around the lakes that come flying in formation with landing lights.

We went from the M-14 to the 15.  I never really liked the 15.  When I was issued my first M-16, it was stamped Mattel for the plastic and GM for the metal.  I always thought they were junk with the clang in your ear.  They were just a lot lighter to carry and you didn't have to do the manual of arms. 

That three round selector didn't come along for some time, it was semi or full auto.  When the three rounder got hot, it would still fire auto.  They may have corrected that with the A2 and M4s.

Archived