SASS Wire Forum

FightLite SCR Rifle; AR 15 Type Legal Calif No Restrictions

Del Rio Pete

Didn't you know? Pistol grips are evil. Conventional stocks aren't. Don't try to think like a gun banner or you'll go nuts just like them.

Seriously, Ruger has been selling the Mini-14 in CA for years because it is shaped like an ordinary hunting rifle. It doesn't "look" like an assault rifle to the morons writing these laws whose attention has been focused on anything that looks like an AR-15 or AK-47. A similar mindset is prevalent in all my local Wal-Mart and Big5 Sporting Goods stores, who refuse to carry ARs and tactical-stocked Mini-14s, yet they sell the old-school ones with wood stocks all day long.

Howdy,

Ive seen AR with wood furniture and case color hardware and they look

quite nice.

Same firepower of course.

The guy who does a lot of case color had one.

Best

CR

I think he meant Remington 1100 shotgun bolt, but regardless it's a great idea.

My son-in-law and I were trying to figure out what he should do as he has 2 ARs and lives in California.

I told him to sell them and buy the Troy "pump" AR but he has decided to put in one of those mods that you have to break the gun open to pull the mag and reinsert another one. I am sending him the link to that video. 

Thank you Del Rio Pete.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Didn't you know? Pistol grips are evil. Conventional stocks aren't. Don't try to think like a gun banner or you'll go nuts just like them.

Seriously, Ruger has been selling the Mini-14 in CA for years because it is shaped like an ordinary hunting rifle. It doesn't "look" like an assault rifle to the morons writing these laws whose attention has been focused on anything that looks like an AR-15 or AK-47. A similar mindset is prevalent in all my local Wal-Mart and Big5 Sporting Goods stores, who refuse to carry ARs and tactical-stocked Mini-14s, yet they sell the old-school ones with wood stocks all day long.

Nothing wrong with a Ruger Mini-14. At all. Especially in the face of California gun laws. :D

Yep.  I looked at the laws, saw that if there was no pistol grip, no flash hider, no other EEEEevvvviiillll features I could install the designed magazine release again.

Here is my wife's AR.  In spite of how it looks, it is fairly comfortable.

5a80ff3450014_CaliforniaAR.thumb.jpg.19dc3b36450296ba74f5c44bf7ba0410.jpg

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I think he meant Remington 1100 shotgun bolt, but regardless it's a great idea.

My son-in-law and I were trying to figure out what he should do as he has 2 ARs and lives in California.

I told him to sell them and buy the Troy "pump" AR but he has decided to put in one of those mods that you have to break the gun open to pull the mag and reinsert another one. I am sending him the link to that video. 

Thank you Del Rio Pete.

Why not just register them as is.  I lived in the PRK, not Little Rocket Man's PRK, until I retired.  Back I 1999 I bought a carry handle Colt Sporter HBAR about a week before the Assembly passed the AWB.  I registered it to make it legal.  For those who don't want to be on a list in CA you already are if you bought the EBR after 2012 when CA initiated a long gun registry as well as the 80's vintage handgun registry.  If the registry for bullet button guns is like the one that has existed since the 1999 Roberti Roos law the CA DOJ will have card with your finger prints & photo in a warehouse in Sacramento.  I doubt local PD's or sheriffs will do it without funding from Sacramento.

J double D, if you do not modify it to a legal condition and have to register it, it can never leave your possession - cannot be sold to another individual nor passed on to family; at the time of your demise, it must be:

• Removed from California
  • Sold to a federally licensed firearms dealer
  • Destroyed
  • Turned over to law enforcement

Helluva deal, huh?  :mellow:

JD Daily,

If you register a firearm as a so-called Assault Weapon every time an ambulance or fire dept is called out to your home a notice is put out to Emergency Services stating that the home has “Registered Assault Weapons”. Emergency services will often not respond immediately until police verify that there is no danger. LA County does this. Imagine you are having a heart attack and you hear the sirens. Help is on the way and then you hear a voice say “Why are they stopped at the end of the street? What are they doing?” as you feel your last moments of consciousness slipping away...

You call the code enforcement folks to come out to inspect the wiring in your new kitchen remodel. They tell you they will be out on a given day at a given time. You rearrange your schedule to accommodate that appointment, but no one comes. You try calling but you don’t reach anyone until the next day. You are told the inspector will not come to your home because you have a registered “assault weapon”...

It’s July 4th or New Years at home. You plan a party. Loved ones arrive and bring their children. Someone in the family or a friend lights off a bottle rocket to celebrate. Police are called. They arrive. See that their laptop displays a warning that assault weapons are present at an address where children are present. Backup is called in as well as Children’s Services. The excitement seems to be winding down and it appears the police are leaving when you hear the words “The children are being taken into our care for their own safety”. You turn and see the police backing up the bureaucrat that has decided your loved ones are to be taken...

Dramatic? Yes. Excessive? Probably so. Can it happen? Oh yes, it can...and it has.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

JD Daily,

If you register a firearm as a so-called Assault Weapon every time an ambulance or fire dept is called out to your home a notice is put out to Emergency Services stating that the home has “Registered Assault Weapons”. Emergency services will often not respond immediately until police verify that there is no danger. LA County does this. Imagine you are having a heart attack and you hear the sirens. Help is on the way and then you hear a voice say “Why are they stopped at the end of the street? What are they doing?” as you feel your last moments of consciousness slipping away...

You call the code enforcement folks to come out to inspect the wiring in your new kitchen remodel. They tell you they will be out on a given day at a given time. You rearrange your schedule to accommodate that appointment, but no one comes. You try calling but you don’t reach anyone until the next day. You are told the inspector will not come to your home because you have a registered “assault weapon”...

It’s July 4th or New Years at home. You plan a party. Loved ones arrive and bring their children. Someone in the family or a friend lights off a bottle rocket to celebrate. Police are called. They arrive. See that their laptop displays a warning that assault weapons are present at an address where children are present. Backup is called in as well as Children’s Services. The excitement seems to be winding down and it appears the police are leaving when you hear the words “The children are being taken into our care for their own safety”. You turn and see the police backing up the bureaucrat that has decided your loved ones are to be taken...

Dramatic? Yes. Excessive? Probably so. Can it happen? Oh yes, it can...and it has.

That is scary. I couldn't live in such a state of fear ever again. MT

41 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

That is scary. I couldn't live in such a state of fear ever again. MT

Okay now. The examples I gave are the extreme but you can see why I would caution about your actions regarding registration. It is not my intention to start a "Let's Bash California" post.

If I somehow ended up living in CA again I would not even try to push the envelope on this issue. I would buy a rifle like the one you posted or I would buy the Troy pump rifle IF I wanted to continue using an AR15 platform. There was a time when I would thumb my nose at the law and I still would on some issues, just not this one. I wouldn't want to end up in jail over a "cosmetic" issue on a firearm. Any AR I would have in possession before the move probably wouldn't go.

Also, I need to say this as well. When I emailed the CA DOJ on behalf of my son-in-law regarding his AR rifles I got a phone call that very day from them. The lady I spoke to was very nice and forthcoming with answers to my questions. She said she couldn't tell me what to do to make his guns legal but when I gave her the options we were looking into she told me what would be best to stay within the law. She also told me that she wished more people would call them and ask questions because there was and is a lot of misinformation out there. And No, she never asked my name, address or anything personal other than if it was okay to call me by my first name. I gave my name in the email. I have nothing to hide from these folks....I don't live there. Hehehe :D

16 hours ago, Del Rio Pete said:

Is the Ares SCR the same as the FightLite SCR?

Ares is now "Fightlite" apparently. They transitioned their name from Ares to Fightlite.

https://fightlite.com/pages/about-us

Apparently they do not offer the muzzle brake that the guy mentioned in the video. I was very interested in that...need to do some more research.

15 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Why not just register them as is.  I lived in the PRK, not Little Rocket Man's PRK, until I retired.  Back I 1999 I bought a carry handle Colt Sporter HBAR about a week before the Assembly passed the AWB.  I registered it to make it legal.  For those who don't want to be on a list in CA you already are if you bought the EBR after 2012 when CA initiated a long gun registry as well as the 80's vintage handgun registry.  If the registry for bullet button guns is like the one that has existed since the 1999 Roberti Roos law the CA DOJ will have card with your finger prints & photo in a warehouse in Sacramento.  I doubt local PD's or sheriffs will do it without funding from Sacramento.

Both the CA DOJ and the Legislature have become fanatical about trying to rid CA of SBR.  In 2016, just before Independence Day,  the capons passed several ex post facto laws - such as changing the required bullet button from something that made a rifle not an assault weapon to a feature that requires a rifle to be registered. 

The also removed the protection for magazines holding more than 10 rounds that had been grandfathered in. 

The rules keep changing in an attempt to trap honest gun owners. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Both the CA DOJ and the Legislature have become fanatical about trying to rid CA of SBR.  In 2016, just before Independence Day,  the capons passed several ex post facto laws - such as changing the required bullet button from something that made a rifle not an assault weapon to a feature that requires a rifle to be registered. 

The also removed the protection for magazines holding more than 10 rounds that had been grandfathered in. 

The rules keep changing in an attempt to trap honest gun owners. 

The original ASB was Roberti Roos which after DiFi was appointed to fill Pete Wilson's senate set & "Can't Keep in His Pants" was elected POTUS she introduced the federal AWB which as far as the AWB part was verbatim copy of Roberti Roos.  Roberti Roos listed AK47 & AR's by mfg & model and listed features & limited the number of features.  After the Clinton AWB the mfg's of Modern Sporting Rifles created MSR's without flash hiders and bayonet lugs with new model names.  I.E. "Colt Sporter" supplied with 10 round magazines.  Standard magazines (20 rd & 30 rd) could still be mfg & sold to exempt organizations and used standard capacity magazines could still be sold to us civilians.  Some of the hottest items at gun shows were used magazines.  This PO'ed the hoplophobs in the Democratic party in PRK; so, they introduced & passed legislation & Play to Play Gray signed it in 1999.  The 1999 AWB reduced the max. features & defined & added the tool required to remove a magazine.  The previously non AW were allowed to be registered; however, you couldn't avoid registration by removing a feature; because, the mfg.'s & model no's were added to the ban list.  The 1st workaround was a gun store selling AR's wo/a pistol grip.  Someone thought of the Bullet Button, so called because it requires a bullet to operate the mag release.  The DOJ approved it.  Millions of bullet button guns were sold in CA & it took Sandy Hook, San Bernardino & Gavin Nuisance's initiative to get Moonbeam to agree to sign Gunmageddon which was superseded by Prop 63.  The worst part of this package of 2A restrictions is the requirement that ammo must be purchased from or transferred through an FFL or CA licensed ammo retailer.  The Featureless AWB language will not reduce the sustained rate of fire of MSR's.  You have the stock that replaces the pistol grip & the SCR.  The only effective law would to ban semiautomatic fires arms which is a bridge to far.  It would stireup a hornets nest of Fuds who own a Browning BAR, Remington model 8, etc. and probably would get the 9th Circus to apply the Heller "Common Use" standard.

22 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

The only effective law would to ban semiautomatic fires arms which is a bridge to far.  It would stireup a hornets nest of Fuds who own a Browning BAR, Remington model 8, etc. and probably would get the 9th Circus to apply the Heller "Common Use" standard.

Don't give them any ideas. States like CA and NJ have become so hostile to gun owners that I could actually see a complete ban on semi-autos passing. And the 9th Circus would uphold it, for as long as nobody takes your flintlock away they haven't actually infringed on your Second Amendment rights as far as they are concerned.

2 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The only effective law would to ban semiautomatic fires arms which is a bridge to far. 

That is exactly what they are working towards.  In '16 it was proposed and didn't get out of committee because they realized that if passed and signed into law, it would almost instantly be taken to SCOTUS.  So they are trying the incremental approach.  

Back in '04 when off-list lowers were starting to take off a regular at the LGS wrote to the CADOJ asking if he could put together a rifle out of (list of components) or would that be an assault weapon.  He got the return letter posted in the shop.  The CADOJ opined that no, it was not an assault weapon.  BUT.....check with his local DA because his interpretation might be different and that the letter from the CADOJ would not get him off the hook.  What good are state wide laws if the local DA can ignore them?

Archived