SASS Wire Forum

Electronic Safe Lock - Trust one?

Warhorse

58 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They do make safe locks that combine the keypad with the mechanical dial.

Yes Fort Knox has one....It's called a Redundant...Uses both set ups...Electronic for fast and back up combo set up...Look at there web site...

Texas Lizard

4 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Yes Fort Knox has one....It's called a Redundant...Uses both set ups...Electronic for fast and back up combo set up...Look at there web site...

Texas Lizard

Great! Thanks! I didn't know such a thing existed.

Still think I'll stick with a combination dial, if only because it would be less expensive than the electronic/dial combination.

Warhorse

33 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Great! Thanks! I didn't know such a thing existed.

Still think I'll stick with a combination dial, if only because it would be less expensive than the electronic/dial combination.

Warhorse

If you had watched the video I posted you would have seen all about them towards the end of the video.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

If you had watched the video I posted you would have seen all about them towards the end of the video.

That's where I found out about it...Then went to the Fort Knox web site...I would like to know more about it, but it does offer some interesting thoughts...

TL

Mine has worked with-out fail, and it comes with a set of keys to open it up if needed through a hidden spot ... Should the battery fail ...

Jabez Cowboy

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Be sure to watch the whole thing.

This man knows what he is talking about.

Ace of Hearts, I owe you an apology. I did not watch the video in your first post, mainly because I am a bit resistant to watching any videos. I just don't have the patience and would rather read information. [I am a fast reader.]

This video, however, is well worth watching for an excellent education on safes in general. Thank you very much.

That said, I still do not have any answer regarding how a "backup key" with an electronic combination unit works or why it would not be a weak point for access to the safe. So far, I have been unable to find ANY information on that subject.

Warhorse

5 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

The video discusses a backup combination lock..... He quotes a price of $150.00 but that was in 2013.

Yeah, I saw that bit on the electronic AND combination lock. However, my question was regarding the "backup key" used with some of the electronic locks in the event of failure of the electronic lock. My gut reaction is that while it may solve the problem of failure of the electronic lock why would the key lock not be subject to lock picking, thus bypassing the electronic lock entirely. I simply do not know the answer to this one as I have never seen one to actually look at it. I still need some education.

Warhorse

10 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

Yeah, I saw that bit on the electronic AND combination lock. However, my question was regarding the "backup key" used with some of the electronic locks in the event of failure of the electronic lock. My gut reaction is that while it may solve the problem of failure of the electronic lock why would the key lock not be subject to lock picking, thus bypassing the electronic lock entirely. I simply do not know the answer to this one as I have never seen one to actually look at it. I still need some education.

Warhorse

I have seen one. Used a round key for access and relies on obscurity for security.

I was not impressed.

You pull the center out of the Wheel then use the key , you can't see where the key goes unless you remove the disk ...

Jabez Cowboy

2 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

You pull the center out of the Wheel then use the key , you can't see where the key goes unless you remove the disk ...

Jabez Cowboy

Sorry if I seem to be nit picking but I am NOT talking about the key used with a dial combination lock. That key locks/unlocks the dial wheel. It does not (to the best of my knowledge) OPEN the lock.

I am talking about the "backup key" used to unlock the safe in the event of failure of the electronic lock. That's the one I don't understand.

Warhorse

My key unlocks the safe if the power key-pad fails or you can unlock it with the key even if the safe is working normally ...

Removing the disk to uncover the key opening requires two sharp knifes if you don't want to mark it up ...

Jabez Cowboy

9 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

My key unlocks the safe if the power key-pad fails or you can unlock it with the key even if the safe is working normally ...

Removing the disk to uncover the key opening requires two sharp knifes if you don't want to mark it up ...

Jabez Cowboy

Ah. OK. I did say that I needed to be educated. I jumped to the conclusion that the "disk" you were referring to was the disk of a combination lock. I was unaware of a "disk" on an electronic lock. What model of lock or safe were you referring to? I would like to look it up.

[Edit} Whoops. I think I misunderstood again. Is the wheel to which you are referring the center of the actual unlocking handle?

Warhorse

Yes it's in the center of the Wheel , with nothing to indicate that there is a place to unlock the safe , I had to look hard to find it and look in the instructions as how to remove it with-out damaging it's hiding ability ...

It looks like a crest displaying the makers name ....

Jabez Cowboy

Archived