SASS Wire Forum

JC Higgins 101.7 Thoughts?

Hardcase Hardin

Not a lot out there on em, but what I have found indicates most folks who have em are pretty happy.  Found a couple good videos so far but still looking.  If I get it, I plan to chop it down to 20" and shoot the crap out of it and at least have it in the truck as a back up.

I recall someone posting recently about hammer springs (?) and reinstalling them.  This fella seems to have it down to an art.

Looks similar to the 311D I picked up a few months ago.  I got it slicked up a tad, and it makes for a passable backup SG for matches.  Here’s my thread about it - maybe it can help. 

I used that one fellow’s video as a guide to making a single two-foot long “pusher bar” out of aluminim stock.  I didn’t bother with the dual bar setup, as you can only get the pin through one hammer at a time. I just started with the right hand hammer since the pin goes in right to left, then switched to the left hand hammer.  Worked well enough, though it was a bit of a learning curve for me!

43 minutes ago, watab kid said:

if im not mistaken the 311 was made for sears by stevens , that and the 511 make fine cowboy guns , 

Correct and branded as J. C. Higgins who was with Sears at the time.  Later on Sears changed to the Ted Williams line.

Stevens 311s are just about indestructible. Not great for CAS as the locking lug interferes with the smooth loading of shells. 

Early models had different hammers and cocking lever than later models But you can easily fit the later hammers and cocking lever to the earlier guns. If you need parts let me know as I have a few left over from when I was shooting them.

If you are thinking of cutting the barrels down you just about have to install reduced power hammer springs or the barrels will not have enough weight to hold the action open. You can get the springs from Brownells. 

Thank you for your kind offer Dave and everyone's advise.

Nothing will happen to the old girl till I get back to Maine tho so lots of time to think things though.

I also have the offer of a SASS used hammered double from one of the Maine clubbers, which may end up as my main shotty for awhile.  We shall see.

23 hours ago, Bullett Sass 19707 said:

Listen to SD and don't be to quick to chop the barrels.   The gun will not stay open for you to get the used shell out and the new ones in.   Bullett 19707

Will do sir.  As I said there's no rush and I Have an offer of another shotty from someone as well. 

I plan to replace the springs if the deal goes thru anyway.  Found the kit at Brownell's and waiting to hear back from the BiL on how the meeting went.

Nice looking shotgun

I'll try to remember to measure the length of the barrels on mine. IIRC I only cut them to 23 or 24 inches. Replacing the hammer springs can be a lot of fun.

I'll try to type up a procedure of how I did it. I didn't know about making a jig like the one in the video so my way takes more finesse and patience.

During disassembly and reassembly take care not to bend the rod that connects the lever to the lug locking mechanism. The odd shape is critical for proper operation.

I wouldn't do any grinding on the cocking lever unless absolutely necessary. Really hard to put metal back and if yours has the old style lever it is hard to find. I bought several of the plungers that push the cocking lever and tried each one till I found the one that worked the best.

2 hours ago, Lazy Eeyour said:

This may be of interest to you.

http://marauder.homestead.com/Stevens311.html

Already saved in my favs.  TY just the same.

Out of the pics I have NONE of them have the entire gun in it so I'm not sure what bbl length I have right now. 

Guessing 28 or 30"

01.jpg

Archived