SASS Wire Forum

Guns of the Old West best issue yet

38 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Received my issue last week and finished it yesterday. Great articles, and personally feel its their best issue to date.  MT

Marshal:

Thanks for the reminder post.

I had forgotten that this magazine existed (somewhere I thought in another thread there was mention of the company that prints it going out of business). :blink:

Just went to the website and got the information for a subscription, especially after reading the following statement:

"Guns of the Old West is for the tens of thousands of Americans involved in our fastest growing shooting sport, Cowboy Action Shooting, ..."

I will be subscribing. :D

Thanks again.

Nope. The best issue ever was the one I picked up at book store magazine rack the at Governor’s Square Mall in Tallahassee in October of 2000.

I was bout halfway into it when I told my wife I was gonna be a cowboy shooter. ;)

Got mine in the mail today. Did not want to open it as I was in a hurry. I need quiet, a comfy chair and a drink (either hot or cold) to peruse these gun mags. Usually very enjoyable. ;)

This one was deeeee-lightful. ;)

Gunslingers.jpg

8 hours ago, Old Top said:

Do not feel bad Major, still waiting for mine in Idaho.

Old Top

Its funny, I sent something to someone in the US and they got it in about 9 days (even though I told them 3 to 4 weeks:blush:). 

I cannot get something across the State in that time:huh:

• 1 month later...

I did subscribe and I ordered a couple of back issues that I didn’t have that were still available. 

I hate to tell you Major, I ordered them Feb 13th or 14th and got the back ordered ones and the newest one in my subscription last week.

That "Guns of the Old West" is a scary looking magazine. :o

1.   Is the cowperson on the cover of GotOW magazine carrying on his shoulder one of those fully-semi-automatic assault rifles with a rapid-fire-high-capacity clip?  :huh:

2.  Is that a fully-semi-automatic pistol on the cowperson's right hip with extra rapid-fire-high-capacity clips on his left hip?  <_<

3.  Is that chain on the cowperson's fest used to set off the bombs that he has tactfully strapped to himself?  :unsure:

Looks like that magazine is published for home grown terrorists and should be banned? :angry:

Question: (I hope not too political)  If a device that can function to make a gun into almost fully automatic is illegal as a machine gun, what does that mean for Cowboy Action Shooters who fire their single action revolvers with two hands?  Now I shoot Duelist, so it doesn't matter to me.  But some of you two-fisted sixgunners can just about outcycle a M1911!  For a right-handed shooter, does that men you have to (1) register your left thumb and pay a $200 tax, or (2) have your left thumb amputated?  Certainly, if possession comes under the ex post facto provisions of the Constitution, then you can keep your thumb, but can't give or sell your thumb to someone else, even a relative or in case someone needs a thumb transplant? :huh::o:P

35 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Question: (I hope not too political)  If a device that can function to make a gun into almost fully automatic is illegal as a machine gun, what does that mean for Cowboy Action Shooters who fire their single action revolvers with two hands?  Now I shoot Duelist, so it doesn't matter to me.  But some of you two-fisted sixgunners can just about outcycle a M1911!  For a right-handed shooter, does that men you have to (1) register your left thumb and pay a $200 tax, or (2) have your left thumb amputated?  Certainly, if possession comes under the ex post facto provisions of the Constitution, then you can keep your thumb, but can't give or sell your thumb to someone else, even a relative or in case someone needs a thumb transplant? :huh::o:P

Uh..did you mean to post this here or on another thread...or did I miss something?...again...:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

What kind of rifle IS that on Pierce's shoulder?

Lever action with extended magazine?  Manufacturer?  Vintage?

LL

It is a Remington Model 8. Winchester 1907 It is the rifle he uses in the series The Son

600px-SonS1E04_17.jpg

5 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Golly, we REALLY do need a sarcasm emoticon....:rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

It is a Remington Model 8. It is the rifle he uses in the series The Son

600px-SonS1E04_17.jpg

Thanks, Dave.  Haven't seen the show.

Here's my problem.  The gun on his shoulder has a flat bottom receiver, and what looks like a short tubular magazine under the barrel, as well as  a detachable magazine under the receiver.  Compare to this image of a Model 8, which is quite different.  What am I missing?

LL

RemingtonModel8.jpg

44 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Thanks, Dave.  Haven't seen the show.

Here's my problem.  The gun on his shoulder has a flat bottom receiver, and what looks like a short tubular magazine under the barrel, as well as  a detachable magazine under the receiver.  Compare to this image of a Model 8, which is quite different.  What am I missing?

LL

RemingtonModel8.jpg

My bad

Should have said it was the Winchester Model 1907

File:Winchester Model 1907.jpg

AFAIK It was only chambered in .351 Winchester.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:24 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Haven't got mine yet, looks great!!

I just emailed them and asked why I have not received my issue yet! I renewed on 4/21/17 for one year and recently sent them a check for another year on 2/21/18!!! I wonder if the mailman liked it so much he took it!:angry: 

I don't trust the USPS, especially since we've had so many different mail carriers the past year! We must have had a dozen!!

Howdy,

I had a chance to bid on one maybe three years ago.

I was told it is very hard to find ammo.

It came with a couple boxes iirc....

I bid once.....

Best

CR

Got mine in the mail a couple weeks ago, have to agree it is the best issue yet.

Winchester's model 1907 is in .351 SL for self loading and uses a magazine and not a under barrel tube as some have said. That's the plunger you push to shove the bolt back, cocking the trigger and chambering a round of ammo. The model 1910 is a bigger version and chambered for the .401 cartridge.

Winchester also made a model 1903 in .22 Win-auto which does not interchange with .22 Long Rifle. I have my Grandfathers he bought from

Mr.John M. Browning at his Gun shop in Ogden UT in 1906.

On 3/11/2018 at 10:18 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just emailed them and asked why I have not received my issue yet! I renewed on 4/21/17 for one year and recently sent them a check for another year on 2/21/18!!! I wonder if the mailman liked it so much he took it!:angry: 

I don't trust the USPS, especially since we've had so many different mail carriers the past year! We must have had a dozen!!

I sent GOTOW an email 3 days ago and they haven't answered. I wound up buying a copy at a book store. Good edition but I would disagree with it being the best ever!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 11:58 PM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I had a chance to bid on one maybe three years ago.

I was told it is very hard to find ammo.

It came with a couple boxes iirc....

I bid once.....

Best

CR

Someone is asking $140 for a box on Gunbroker:o

There is a company that still makes the projectiles for it.  

.351 Win. S.L. (.351 dia.)

Round Nose
180 grains x .025 RN $37.50
200 grains x .025 RN $39.00 c4

Many .351 Self Loading rifles (Model 1907 Winchester) were made. The federal prison system was the largest single purchaser in the states and those rifles have found their way into public use. Typically these rifles have some nicks and scratches to the wood because of the way they were locked with chain. The bores are like new and they function just marvelously. The commercial loading was always a 180 grain bullet. While we do make this, we also will run the 200 grain bullet that was briefly special ordered by the federal prisons. Both give excellent results hunting and are designed to work at factory velocities. 

They finally answered my email and apologized and told me they messed up my copy is on the way, meanwhile I bought one! I'll pass it on!!

Archived