SASS Wire Forum

Custom wood grip maker?

Sgt. Saywut

I find the factory wood grips on my Beretta Laramie top-break revolvers to be a bit skinny for my size Large hands, so I’d like to find a maker of custom grips who can produce a thicker pair.  I found Tombstone Gun Grips, and his work looks good, but they’re a polyurethane resin epoxy, and I’d like grips made from a wood with a distinctive grain / appearance.  Anyone know of such a maker?

57 minutes ago, Sarge2 said:

I  use Walt Marston.  Don't know if he does wood, but I've had him make some oversized for me in Giraffe bone.  http://www.marstongunleather.com/

He does produce some nice wood burl grips, so I sent him an email to inquire about Laramie grips.  Thanks. 

7 hours ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

I would like to see the Giraffe bone grips if you could post a pic. Thanks

IMG_04981.thumb.jpg.fd9c447e674fc441489810ee231405ed.jpg

IMG_05001.jpg

The gripframe on the brass gun has different dimensions from the steel gun.  I sent Walt both sets of grip frames, so he could make the grips the same size.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

Walt doesn’t do Laramie grips.   Oh well. 

Sorry to hear that.  Could you send the gun to Him?

He didn’t offer that as an option.  What I’ll do instead is get a sheet of 1/8” black nitrile rubber, trace the grips onto the rubber, and cut and trim pieces to use as inserts between the grips and the frame, and see how that works. 

23 hours ago, Sgt. Saywut said:

He didn’t offer that as an option.  What I’ll do instead is get a sheet of 1/8” black nitrile rubber, trace the grips onto the rubber, and cut and trim pieces to use as inserts between the grips and the frame, and see how that works. 

If you add spacers, your grip screw may be too short.  They're available at Brownell.s.  In fact, DIY grips aren't that difficult if you are a woodworker.

2 hours ago, Hooligan Howes said:

Now mine are Uberti made Schofields.

I saw the mesquite grips offered by that company, and I believe the grips on my 3.5” Schofield are from them. Are your grips mesquite also?  What pattern is that?  Looks neat!

1 hour ago, Sergeant Duroc said:

I don't think you can beat Joe Perkins from Outlaw Grips.

Thanks for that link - he does show grips for the Russian model, so I imagine he can do Laramie grips.  Looks like he does beautiful work. But the prices, whew!

On 13/02/2018 at 6:36 AM, Sgt. Saywut said:

Looks like he does beautiful work. But the prices, whew!

We have many pairs of Joe's grips. They are pricey, but well worth it.  And remember, these grips start from a chunk of wood and are custom made for your revolver.

BS

20160716_143450.jpg

0602131627.jpg

12 hours ago, Barry Sloe said:

We have many pairs of Joe's grips. They are pricey, but well worth it.  And remember, these grips start from a chunk of wood and are custom made for your revolver.

BS

I'm pretty tight with money spent but sure agree with Mr Sloe that these are well worth it. ;)

On 2/13/2018 at 7:36 AM, Sgt. Saywut said:

Thanks for that link - he does show grips for the Russian model, so I imagine he can do Laramie grips.  Looks like he does beautiful work. But the prices, whew!

It only hurts until you see the beauty of the product.  You wouldn't be disappointed!

Archived