SASS Wire Forum

Subhumorous

Subdeacon Joe

SubmaREEner or subMARiner...  heck, doesn't it depend on whether the individual bubblehead prefers Mary Ann or Ginger...?  :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, the Kid's childhood buddy serving on the USS Hartford sez he's a subMARiner... but I've hoisted a few with some submaREEner's at the H&C back in the day.  ^_^

Yellow Submarine Emoticon

They were called Sub-MARE-iners when I was in the Navy. If you called someone a Subma-REEN-er you had better be pretty (and naive) or saying it in jest or you'd be labeled as a Dumb@#$.

I hear there's not much to look at in the way of scenery at 150 feet below sea level.  Do they even have windows on a submarine boat? 

Special breed of sailors that sail in those steal coffins.  Salute!

Click on the li'l red speaker icon...  :rolleyes:

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/pronunciation/american/submariner

Marvel Comics.

When in the Navy, my parents referred to the guy across the street as a submarine-er, who was in that branch of service. Dad was a pilot, so I don't know if that was professional ribbing, or if that's what the "silent service" guys were called back in the 1950's

3 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I hear there's not much to look at in the way of scenery at 150 feet below sea level.  Do they even have windows on a submarine boat? 

Special breed of sailors that sail in those steal coffins.  Salute!

Well it looks like this one has a window or two in the conning tower. Apparently they don't help with the navigation.

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

image.jpeg.5aea588bd80a74532e4b89c8c1217dd3.jpeg

Ah, what do I know? I never hung out with many Sub Sailors.The  ones I knew never said much about what they preferred to be called.  I called them Sailors...and Bubbleheads :D

4 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Sure they do

moebius-voyage-to-the-bottom-of-the-sea-

One of my favorite gags in the Navy was getting a bunch of guys together on the main deck and cheering on the submarine races when some newbies came aboard at sea. The dense ones would watch and watch not understanding why we could see the subs and they couldn’t.

”Ya gotta be at sea a while, mate. Then you’ll be able to pick them out from the whales”

”You guys can see WHALES?” :lol:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ah, what do I know? I never hung out with many Sub Sailors.The  ones I knew never said much about what they preferred to be called.  I called them Sailors...and Bubbleheads :D

And they called you surface guys "skimmers!"  ^_^

"And they called you surface guys "skimmers!"

------------------

That might be true but we also called surface ships, TARGETS!

------------------

The windows in the sail/conning tower were to let light in to the sail where the vertical ladders terminated and you had a platform to turn around to go up the next ladder.

................and there are other dangers to a submarine below sea level.

5a7c512113c03_20000leagues.jpg-RESIZED.jpg.c29bf6cae167a9576a4add9e6e7a0f29.jpg

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

One of my favorite gags in the Navy was getting a bunch of guys together on the main deck and cheering on the submarine races when some newbies came aboard at sea. The dense ones would watch and watch not understanding why we could see the subs and they couldn’t.

”Ya gotta be at sea a while, mate. Then you’ll be able to pick them out from the whales”

”You guys can see WHALES?” :lol:

Kinda like sending a newbie down to supply for a 'carriage return' or a new 'Line Feed' for his typewriter..... :lol:

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

Kinda like sending a newbie down to supply for a 'carriage return' or a new 'Line Feed' for his typewriter..... :lol:

..........Widder

Or the keys to the parade ground or the can of skin paint for the radar............

1 hour ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Or the keys to the parade ground or the can of skin paint for the radar............

Don't forget "Sound Powered Phone Batteries" :D

or how about "Go down to Engineering and get a bucket of steam so we can loosen up these bolts"

The best was the new boot Deck Apes would be sent to tighten up the super-structure bolts along the main deck. These poor devils would lug a 6' long wrench along and try to tighten up the nuts on the bolts that attached the super-structure to the main deck. They were told if they didn't check them all the super-structure might come off if the ship rolled hard. The Boatswains Mates got a lot of mileage out of that one. :lol:

The absolute best I ever witnessed was in the Comm Center in Morocco.   We had an isle way about 35+ yards long.

We gave a NEWBIE a roll of 2-ply printer paper with carbon between the sheets  (this was 1969-71).

We took the top sheet and 'unrolled' it only 1 circle, which in effect made the roll of paper appear to have the carbon outside the middle of the 2-ply paper.

We told the NEWBIE that we needed the paper corrected.   Sooooooo, instead of just 'rerolling' the single sheet back around, the NEWBIE unrolled the whole blame roll of 2-ply paper out on the isle way, separated the 2 sheets and carbon, the then placed the carbon back between the 2-ply paper and rolled it all back up.

Hilarious!     

Our duty officer of our section was a Lt.JG Semens and all he could do was quietly laugh inside as he sat and watch the whole ordeal.

..........Widder

Archived