SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry at a Match

Rustler, SASS #33316

Another thought...many states allow OPEN CARRY of loaded firearms (with or without gov't permit).

During firearm competitions, the regulations for the shooting discipline/sport/game generally prevail in regard to the registered competitors

State/local range rules regarding carry of loaded firearms away from the actual range areas also vary from location to location.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A CCW carrier had BETTER know to ask if there is a cold range - no carry rule in effect.  Many ranges have that requirement.  And with unloading table rules, to carry and not declare and show unloaded at ULT is a MDQ.     Now, if the Match Director will override his range's rules for that match ..... well, guess he can do that.

SO, cart-storage is a whole lot better, IMHO.

Good luck, GJ

Just my 2 cents, but I agree with what many others have said.  A match is among the safest places you can be.  Everyone is generally armed and even though unloaded that can quickly be changed.  Plus with everything else you are wearing/carrying I don't want to bulk up even more.  I normally do carry every chance I get.  Won't do me no good if it is sitting at home.  

16 hours ago, Rustler, SASS #33316 said:

Back to part of the original question:

If this is a LEO who's agency requires that he/she carry off duty, does that change things?

Used to have that same scenario... but range rules and personal paranoia often conflict.   CCW remains in vehicle at our range.  As with most other competitive events, SASS ranges are a "cold range".  I've shot police competition at ranges in 3 states, and it was noted that their ranges for the competition were "cold"... Exception only for "on-Duty" officers were made... but those guys were in uniform and fairly distinguishable from the rest of us.

At Panhandle Cattle Company in Chipley, we specifically state during the safety brief that we run a cold range & only allow registered competitors to carry firearms.  We also ask everyone to secure their carry guns in their vehicles.  If an active duty LEO needed to be armed at all times, we would let common sense prevail & modify that range rule.

20 hours ago, Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054 said:

I've always assumed (and hoped) that our LEO's carry ALL the time..... on the range, church, etc.....

..........Widder

I play hockey with a local LEO. Once he fell hard and came to the bench limping. He said he fell on his gun.

It is interesting to see that many think of a cold shooting range as being safe. 

Not But of course, it is NOT true from actual experience. 

A couple clubs actually had to change their rules to allow their shooters to protect themselves from thefts.

As mentioned having more people around is a big help - and having many people very near their shotguns will also help since any one perpetrator cannot readily see them all.

If your normal method of carry is a full size handgun in an outside the waistband holster covered by a shirt or jacket, that's  probably not going to work at a SASS match. Depending on how you wear your belts and holster, there's  a good chance pocket carry might not be viable. If you can carry in some other manner and get to the gun quickly and safely, well concealed is concealed.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

It is interesting to see that many think of a cold shooting range as being safe. 

Not But of course, it is NOT true from actual experience. 

A couple clubs actually had to change their rules to allow their shooters to protect themselves from thefts.

As mentioned having more people around is a big help - and having many people very near their shotguns will also help since any one perpetrator cannot readily see them all.

This makes me wonder what kind of war zones folks are shooting at where thieves are Brazen enough to attempt to rob guys with guns of their guns. I have never heard of such a thing, and I have shot all over the country and even most of central and southern america. It makes me glad to know that it's much safer to live in Oakland CA than some of these other far more dangerous places.

Participants must follow our range rules with all of their firearms. We don't care about spectators with concealed firearms.

13 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

+1

Just curious, since opinions are all over the place, which feelings are ya'll surprised by, those that say CCW holders should lock their concealed weapons in their vehicle while at a match or CCW holders must keep their concealed weapons in their gun carts or..........any of half a dozen other scenarios mentioned?

My thinking is that unless you live in Georgia where shooters are being held up at gunpoint while at matches, why even worry about carrying concealed at a match to begin with?

I think way too many CCW holders do a LOUSY job of concealing (as if they wanted others to see them carrying) else this thread probably wouldn't have ever started!

48 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Participants must follow our range rules with all of their firearms. We don't care about spectators with concealed firearms.

So Fred and John are watching your match when Fred turns to John and says........"Wanna see my new Glock, the slide is SO smooth?"  "Sure says John as he racks the slide then aims it at arms length to see how it feels then BANG!  Geeze Fred, doesn't this thing have a safety?"

So much for not caring about spectators!

If a person has a CPL they should be able to exercise their lawful right. It's also a right for a business to run their business they way they wish. If a business doesn't allow a CPL holder to exercise their lawful right I try to avoid such places of business.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

One of the ranges I referred to was a large, excellent range in the Fort Worth, Texas area.

One was in Oklahoma and another in Florida. 

Some were in relatively remote areas but some were still pretty close to large cities.

I can just imagine if a perp tried robbing or stealing at a SASS event, with everyone using typical loads for the match. 

Perp: “Dudes, your bullets are bruising my skin something pretty bad.  Stop that!”

I exaggerate, of course. 

1 hour ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Our entire range is a cold range.  That includes spectators. If they are carrying concealed, I probably won't know.  But I have had to ask some that were open carry to either unload or put it away.

BS

1 hour ago, Deadeye George said:

Just curious, since opinions are all over the place, which feelings are ya'll surprised by, those that say CCW holders should lock their concealed weapons in their vehicle while at a match or CCW holders must keep their concealed weapons in their gun carts or..........any of half a dozen other scenarios mentioned?

My thinking is that unless you live in Georgia where shooters are being held up at gunpoint while at matches, why even worry about carrying concealed at a match to begin with?

I think way too many CCW holders do a LOUSY job of concealing (as if they wanted others to see them carrying) else this thread probably wouldn't have ever started!

Why wear a seatbelt? Why wear a helmet? Winter Range is coming up,  of which I happen to work as a roving Match Range Officer 1-2 shifts per day. We have thousands of spectators there so we are not just dealing with cowboy shooters at that point in time. What surprises me is how cavalier folks are with disarming LEGAL CPL holders, but claim to support the 2nd. Which is it? I guess I'm just simple. 

There is just no reason for concealed carry while competing. If playing on a cold range then that is the rule and that is that. Does not mater who you are or what you were. 

As far as a group of competitors being robbed of their firearms while on a range at an event. I can't picture that happening without casualties. 

7 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Why wear a seatbelt? Why wear a helmet? Winter Range is coming up,  of which I happen to work as a roving Match Range Officer 1-2 shifts per day. We have thousands of spectators there so we are not just dealing with cowboy shooters at that point in time. What surprises me is how cavalier folks are with disarming LEGAL CPL holders, but claim to support the 2nd. Which is it? I guess I'm just simple. 

I have to say I don't see comments like you're mentioning.  It seems to me that there are some who are saying, why worry at a SASS match, and there are quite a few saying, follow the rules of the range where you're shooting.  That seems pretty fair to me.  Most of these ranges are privately owned right?  I think the owners should be allowed to enforce whatever rules they want to.  If they're ridiculous, I'll shoot somewhere else, but cold range rules are pretty common.  I could be wrong, but I bet in many instances the rules are insurance related. 

I recently shot at a big match in Texas, no need to name names and put someone on the spot, and there was a sign in the pavilion explaining the property owner's rights regarding concealed/open carry under Texas law and stating those rights would be enforced.

I'm not advocating disarming CCLs, but I don't see a significant number of cowboys on this thread doing that either, seems more about respecting local rules.

29 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Deuce, your home club is a cold range and specifically prohibits carry while competing.

Notice I said while competing.

It's in their rules as I asked about.

If I want to shoot there I guess I'm following their rules.

Private property owners have rights too.

37 minutes ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Deuce, your home club is a cold range and specifically prohibits carry while competing.

Notice I said while competing.

It's in their rules as I asked about.

If I want to shoot there I guess I'm following their rules.

Private property owners have rights too.

Actually both of my home clubs honor the rights of CPL holders.

If you are in the spectator area, it is none of my business what you are carrying........

If you are a shooter and you are concealed without my knowledge then I am happy.

If you have something other than a CAS firearm on my stage then I will politely ask you to put it somewhere away from the shooter area.

All cowboy matches are conducted on a cold range. (shooter area)

I don't have a problem with participants or spectators that are lawfully carrying a concealed (or visible) firearm. I do have to disagree with leaving an un-attended loaded firearm in a gun cart. Been to many matches where the spectators where mixed in with the shooters.....most gun carts do not provide for secure protection of unloaded guns, let alone loaded ones.

Sun

7 minutes ago, Cayuse Jack, SASS #19407 said:

Yep both allow ccw but the MI club forbids ccw while participating in a match as per the match director that I asked at a safety meeting.

As I said, both of my home clubs honor CPL's. Rockford is not my home club, was at one time but has not been for quite sometime. 

11 minutes ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

As I said, both of my home clubs honor CPL's. Rockford is not my home club, was at one time but has not been for quite sometime. 

Is it the same Rockford listed under your avatar as a club where you are a TG? If so, I can see why Jack may have been confused.

Well I'll give you my two cents worth  pilgrim. I'm retired from Law Enforcement, Have trained other folks for  CCW classes and other firearm classes.

Been involved with SASS clubs for some years and to this day carrying a concealed weapon on a cowboy match is certainly a poor thought for some one to have.  Even though that firearm is meant well there is too much of a chance for any thing to occur. This is certainly a poor idea to do so and doing nothing but asking for problems.

Why do you feel so much of a threat that you a registered shooter for the event have to carry at our cowboy shoots makes no sense at all.

8 hours ago, Deuce Stevens SASS#55996 said:

Have to say I'm pretty suprised by shooters feelings on this. Interesting. 

I'm not Deuce.... I've been asked twice to remove my sidearm while at on the range for a match by shooters. Both times in my soft uniform. Both times told that was not happening. Told them if they wanted that to happen the match director would have to give that order. They left it at that. I was not shooting just picking up my packet and visiting. So yeah, not surprised.

13 minutes ago, Big Iron Patnode SASS 60632 said:

I'm not Deuce.... I've been asked twice to remove my sidearm while at on the range for a match by shooters. Both times in my soft uniform. Both times told that was not happening. Told them if they wanted that to happen the match director would have to give that order. They left it at that. I was not shooting just picking up my packet and visiting. So yeah, not surprised.

Hi Big Iron,

What is a "soft uniform?" If it shows that you are a LEO, IMO, you should be good to carry anywhere when wearing it.

Regards,

Allie

Archived