SASS Wire Forum

Pistol info request

Widder, SASS #59054

Do any of you hotshots own and/or shoot the Springfield XD in the subcompact .45 ACP with the 3.3" barrel?

I am Curious as to their accuracy, dependability, handling characteristics, etc....

Thanks

..........Widder

All I have is the XD40 service. I have shot the subcompact .45 though.

They are a fat gun. Reliable and simple to operate. My XD40 likes cheap ammo. The subcompact did as well from what the owner told me. Fairly accurate as far as a compact goes. Forgiving as well. You can shoot unsupported or limp wristed and it'll still go. .45 in the subbie was a bit rough. It's light so sharp recoil. Get the extended mag so that you have something to wrap your fingers around. That made a big difference for me. My XD40 and the subcompact both had passive safeties. A trigger safety that deactivates with a trigger pull and a grip safety. Nothing that you must actively actuate. Mine only jammed once because of some crappy ammo. Fed Winchester white box and it'll go happily for as long as you want it to. You need to watch the XD torture tests. That's why I bought one.

Thanks for the info.

I had a concern that it might be a bit 'snappy' in the .45 ACP caliber but because I like the pistol and I like the caliber, I was wonder if they 'mated' up together very well for a 'fun' gun to shoot.

I like my pistols to be fun (comfortable) enough to shoot dozens or 100's of rounds without worrying about palm pain or recoil concerns.

And if I can't feel good about running 100 rounds thru it during a practice session and have fun doing it, I probably don't need it.

On a side note, I was wanting to get one and convert it to .45 SUPER (not .460 Rowland).   It would still be the basic 3.3" barrel but would also have a muzzle brake attached for recoil control.   I still ain't made up my mind, but some of my enthusiasm is fading, if you know what I mean..... ;)

Again, Thanks for the info.

..........Widder

Archived