SASS Wire Forum

Rifle staging

Hoss

On 2/5/2018 at 5:45 PM, Ya Big Tree said:

Well that's unsportsmanlike to say the least. I wish people like that would just stay home. 

That amazes me. I have enough trouble trying to remember the darn stage let alone thinking up rifle acrobatics. Good grief. Shoot the match, share some good company, and call it a day. Life already is complicated enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey PWB, I picked up a new saddle ring !!

13178E7B-31E3-4ABD-AEFB-4A5FFD235313.jpeg

On 2/5/2018 at 6:36 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I was not so lucky with a shooter. The prop had two parallel boards indicating that the rifle needed to be staged between them. They pointed into a berm as there was downrange movement. A shooter propped his rifle on top pointing downrange. I asked the MD, who was on my posse, if he could do that. Shooter said, "I did it last week at a match." MD told him to move it. Later, I heard shooter calling me names.

Sure is something that many folks (party of the 1st part) get angry at others when the others correctly point out errors of the party of the 1st part. 

Others accept their error and may even apologize.

I always figured it was a way to tell the "goats" from the "sheep."

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:02 PM, Yul Lose said:

Yep, I got busted for doing that a few years ago. The rifle has to be flat.

You engaged in the sport of Gaming....I am shocked!!

46 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

You engaged in the sport of Gaming....I am shocked!!

I was shown how to stage it that way by one of the best Gamers in the business, Tupelo Flash.

On 2/5/2018 at 3:36 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I was not so lucky with a shooter. The prop had two parallel boards indicating that the rifle needed to be staged between them. They pointed into a berm as there was downrange movement. A shooter propped his rifle on top pointing downrange. I asked the MD, who was on my posse, if he could do that. Shooter said, "I did it last week at a match." MD told him to move it. Later, I heard shooter calling me names.

There is never an excuse for a shooters bad behavior; rudeness or name calling is never acceptable and after the Match Director made the call; the discussion should have ended, but...

The requirements for staging a firearm prior to the stage start are sometimes different than the requirements for RESTAGING after shooting.

Requiring a firearm to be restaged a certain direction; ie pointed into the side berm to facilitate downrange movement (unless noted differently), really only applies once the downrange component of the stage comes into play. 

So unless it is noted that the same staging is required before and after the shooting string; (assuming the staging is safe/rules legal), it is not unreasonable to expect or allow that a shooter may stage one way at the beginning of a stage and then at the conclusion of the shooting string restage a different way to safely facilitate downrange movement.

I have often run into this situation where a shooters thorough reading of the stage led them to utilize a different (but legal) methodology than the understood and popular method used by most.

As fellow shooters, posse members or leaders; we have to be careful to avoid the mindset of, "Well that's not the way everybody else is doing it; so it must be wrong".

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I was shown how to stage it that way by one of the best Gamers in the business, Tupelo Flash.

Shocked twice. :huh:

1 hour ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

There is never an excuse for a shooters bad behavior; rudeness or name calling is never acceptable and after the Match Director made the call; the discussion should have ended, but...

The requirements for staging a firearm prior to the stage start are sometimes different than the requirements for RESTAGING after shooting.

Requiring a firearm to be restaged a certain direction; ie pointed into the side berm to facilitate downrange movement (unless noted differently), really only applies once the downrange component of the stage comes into play. 

So unless it is noted that the same staging is required before and after the shooting string; (assuming the staging is safe/rules legal), it is not unreasonable to expect or allow that a shooter may stage one way at the beginning of a stage and then at the conclusion of the shooting string restage a different way to safely facilitate downrange movement.

I have often run into this situation where a shooters thorough reading of the stage led them to utilize a different (but legal) methodology than the understood and popular method used by most.

As fellow shooters, posse members or leaders; we have to be careful to avoid the mindset of, "Well that's not the way everybody else is doing it; so it must be wrong".

SHB p. 15 "

All long guns initially staged on a horizontal surface shall be staged lying flat where at least the rear of the trigger guard is on the staging area."

In the situation I described no part of the rifle was in the designated staging area. The trigger guard was in the air as the entire rife was propped up by the two boards indicating the staging and restaging area. I thought that would be clear by my comment that the MD told him to move it.

When a table with rail guides are used to place your rifle or shotgun in flat so your rifle or shotgun is towards the berm, is it reasonable for the shooter to move down range as long as his firearm is within the guides provided.  Some guides are very generous and the rifle could still point down range.  Should the shooter be called back if within the rails?

8 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

SHB p. 15 "

All long guns initially staged on a horizontal surface shall be staged lying flat where at least the rear of the trigger guard is on the staging area."

In the situation I described no part of the rifle was in the designated staging area. The trigger guard was in the air as the entire rife was propped up by the two boards indicating the staging and restaging area. I thought that would be clear by my comment that the MD told him to move it.

In the incident you described, was the shooter staging or restaging the rifle wrong? 

"..That amazes me. I have enough trouble trying to remember the darn stage let alone thinking up rifle acrobatics. Good grief. Shoot the match, share some good company, and call it a day. Life already is complicated enough..."

thankyou lawdog , im in your court here , sometimes its nice not to overthink it too ... just sayin , 

4 hours ago, Kirk James said:

When a table with rail guides are used to place your rifle or shotgun in flat so your rifle or shotgun is towards the berm, is it reasonable for the shooter to move down range as long as his firearm is within the guides provided.  Some guides are very generous and the rifle could still point down range.  Should the shooter be called back if within the rails?

The standard should ALWAYS be based around making the gun safe, not an abirtrary position.  That is why Eldorado altered it's wording on angled tables from "staged flat between rails" to "muzzle safely pointed into side berm".

An instruction, especially something safety related that can be followed to the letter but yet does not accomplish its stated goal is pointless.

One thing about staging Long Guns, I've run into, is that some tables are very narrow. Staging a rifle and 97 works fine. But staging a double and rifle can be frustrating when narrow, especially when re-staging also. Had one time a narrow table were all firearms were staged on table, narrow table. It worked fine with those using a 97, but for those of us with a double, getting the pistols into the small space left, we ended up having to place them ahead of another pistol, rather then side-by-side. It was mentioned that tables should be a little wider for these type of stages.  MT

Archived