SASS Wire Forum

Rifle staging

Hoss

At a match this past weekend, a shooter staged his rifle intentionally propped up on the saddle ring, making the rifle sit at about a 45% angle. Maybe slightly easier to pick up.  I told him not allowed under SASS rules. 

Safety & Handling Conventions – All Firearms - All staged firearms must have their barrels pointed in a safe direction. - All long guns initially staged on a horizontal surface shall be staged lying flat where at least the rear of the trigger guard is on the staging area. 

He said the saddle ring was an original part of the rifle, not a modification, so was ok to stage it this way.  I told him rifles had to be staged flat, which he went ahead and did. I thanked him and told him I would get the rule clarified for both of us. 

What say the camp? 

Yep, I got busted for doing that a few years ago. The rifle has to be flat.

Laying FLAT is the clarification.  Added several years ago for this very purpose.  Sheesh it would be nice if some of these know-it-alls read the rules and attended an RO class once in a while.

Yep, rules for staging flat means you cannot prop it up on the saddle ring.   Maybe he was just checking your knowledge of the rules ?! <_<

Good luck, GJ

32 minutes ago, Big Rock, SASS #44055 said:

I’ve called many for that and never got a complaint. I guess your shooter was one of those that has to argue.

to clarify, he was very pleasant and was not upset that I required him to lay it flat. He jsut said he thought it was OK. 

I had a shooter that doesn't shoot very often argue with me about it but he staged it flat and went on. I think he thought I was making it up but he staged it flat and didn't complain.

Randy

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

to clarify, he was very pleasant and was not upset that I required him to lay it flat. He jsut said he thought it was OK. 

I was not so lucky with a shooter. The prop had two parallel boards indicating that the rifle needed to be staged between them. They pointed into a berm as there was downrange movement. A shooter propped his rifle on top pointing downrange. I asked the MD, who was on my posse, if he could do that. Shooter said, "I did it last week at a match." MD told him to move it. Later, I heard shooter calling me names.

5 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I was not so lucky with a shooter. The prop had two parallel boards indicating that the rifle needed to be staged between them. They pointed into a berm as there was downrange movement. A shooter propped his rifle on top pointing downrange. I asked the MD, who was on my posse, if he could do that. Shooter said, "I did it last week at a match." MD told him to move it. Later, I heard shooter calling me names.

Well that's unsportsmanlike to say the least. I wish people like that would just stay home. 

21 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

As flat as it will go.  As Joe said, you can't prop it up on the ring.

Thanks. I get what you’re saying now and wouldn’t even think to try to prop it up like that. My luck it would fall and tip over. I do curse my ring at the loading table sometimes when I’m trying to load it and it won’t stay flat. 

30 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

that happens and sorry it was directed at you.  Being an  Idiot is not illegal

cheyenne

Might be a tad picky but we have a carbine (Uberti) with a saddle ring. The ring has been removed but the ubolt is still attached.  It's not possible to stage the gun "flat" on a table without about 1/4 " of the trigger guard being off the edge of the table. (just checked). Understanding that the rear of the trigger guard must be " on the table", what's the fix. The ubolt holes are not tapped for studs & if it's removed, holes are left open in the side of the frame. Is there a fix for that?

16 minutes ago, Don Coyote, SASS #63736 said:

Might be a tad picky but we have a carbine (Uberti) with a saddle ring. The ring has been removed but the ubolt is still attached.  It's not possible to stage the gun "flat" on a table without about 1/4 " of the trigger guard being off the edge of the table. (just checked). Understanding that the rear of the trigger guard must be " on the table", what's the fix. The ubolt holes are not tapped for studs & if it's removed, holes are left open in the side of the frame. Is there a fix for that?

where at least the rear of the trigger guard is on the staging area. 

That means that the rear of the trigger guard may not "overhang" past the edge of a flat-surfaced staging prop (e.g. table).

The slight elevation due to a saddle-ring stud is of no consequence.

Hmmm, might have to get a 4” Long saddle ring stud ....:P

27 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Hmmm, might have to get a 4” Long saddle ring stud ....:P

I'm pretty sure that would be an ILLEGAL MODIFICATION!!...subject to a SDQ!! 
;)

21 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I'm pretty sure that would be an ILLEGAL MODIFICATION!!...subject to a SDQ!! 
;)

SpoilSport!

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

OK...to quote UB, "Go ahead!"

;)

:ph34r:

:P

Believe it or not, a simple google search yielded this 

556894F8-AD41-4802-9CD0-5CE62A063DD0.jpeg

A little background on why this rule came to be. Back in the "good old days", when the earth was still molten, it was quite comical to watch people spend 2 or 3 minutes staging guns. Rifles standing straight up in the crook of the shotgun. Pistols stacked together in sort of an "A" frame arrangement. Pistol grip frames sitting in the lever of the rifle. It was almost a contest within a contest to see who was the best Rube Goldberg of staging. And yes, many of these were somewhat unsafe.

But I'll ask the crowd what they think of this. There is a long time shooter in this area who had a really bad wreck when he was younger. Tore his right thumb up bad, and of course he's right handed. He has no movement at all in the thumb, he always looks as though he is giving the thumbs up to everyone. He routinely props his rifles/carbines on the ring. It's the only way he can grasp the gun and pick it up from the table. Would you stop him from doing this? We look at it as giving allowance to a disabled shooter.

Everyone is looking for a good definition of a "gamer".

Hoss just provided us with one.

22 minutes ago, Noz said:

Everyone is looking for a good definition of a "gamer".

Hoss just provided us with one.

A "Gamer" is usually someone that's is very knowledgable about the rules and does things nobody else thinks of within the rules because other folks aren't as knowledgeable of the rules, then them other folks are jealous and call names.

The problem is clubs let folks get away with stuff because they don't know or don't enforce the rules and then when somebody does they get upset.

AO

For the record, I agree with the "flat rifle" rule. and I wont be putting a long shank on my saddle ring.

Goody, it would seem that placing the rifles with the butt off the table, just the rear of trigger guard on table would allow your thumb struck shooter to grab his rifle. if that were truly not the case, than yes, would allow him to prop on ring, or maybe even a shotgun shell to make picking up the rifle bearable. But I would have to be convinced that was the only way. 

8 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

A little background on why this rule came to be. Back in the "good old days", when the earth was still molten, it was quite comical to watch people spend 2 or 3 minutes staging guns. Rifles standing straight up in the crook of the shotgun. Pistols stacked together in sort of an "A" frame arrangement. Pistol grip frames sitting in the lever of the rifle. It was almost a contest within a contest to see who was the best Rube Goldberg of staging. And yes, many of these were somewhat unsafe.

But I'll ask the crowd what they think of this. There is a long time shooter in this area who had a really bad wreck when he was younger. Tore his right thumb up bad, and of course he's right handed. He has no movement at all in the thumb, he always looks as though he is giving the thumbs up to everyone. He routinely props his rifles/carbines on the ring. It's the only way he can grasp the gun and pick it up from the table. Would you stop him from doing this? We look at it as giving allowance to a disabled shooter.

The clubs I shoot at would also agree that, that's giving allowance to a disabled shooter. I seriously doubt that, that person is a top shooter at the club. If he is then it may have to be up for review, or more people will begin to  bugger up their thumbs.  :)

i kinda wish that angle would make me faster - no chance of that any more - i might look for a saddle ring and rule change ,as i said - no chance of that happening in my lifetime for either , i like the rules , they make us equal within the realm of reality , his advantage would never affect where i ended up on the scoreboard these days ...just sayin , and appreciatin , glad we have rules to follow , 

Well,

"Later, I heard shooter calling me names." (per Allie Mo) 

I bet he called you, trustworthy' loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean & reverent. 

:D Keystone

Archived