SASS Wire Forum

Best Youth Shotgun

Col Del Rio

I'd go with 12 gauge with light loads if you can.  That way lots of people, not just youngsters can "borrow" it.  As stated above, stock needs to be fairly short so the shotgun can be mounted to the shoulder correctly.  Mine is 12 1/2 inches lop as I'm 5' 2" with short arms and small hands .Teach them "nose over toes" stance when shooting a shotgun instead of leaning back.  This too will help with recoil as the body absorbs some of the recoil.  I'm a right handed shooter, and I always have my left foot out in front and lean into the shotgun which is the "nose over toes."  Also for cowboy shooting the angle of the cut is different than for skeet or trap shooting as most of our shotgun targets are on the ground.

3 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

I'd go with 12 gauge with light loads if you can.  That way lots of people, not just youngsters can "borrow" it.  As stated above, stock needs to be fairly short so the shotgun can be mounted to the shoulder correctly.  Mine is 12 1/2 inches lop as I'm 5' 2" with short arms and small hands .Teach them "nose over toes" stance when shooting a shotgun instead of leaning back.  This too will help with recoil as the body absorbs some of the recoil.  I'm a right handed shooter, and I always have my left foot out in front and lean into the shotgun which is the "nose over toes."  Also for cowboy shooting the angle of the cut is different than for skeet or trap shooting as most of our shotgun targets are on the ground.

Have to agree with the lady.  Unless the kids are just to small to handle the weight of the shotgun.  Firm believer of the old saying"  410 is an experts gun , not a beginner"  Plus the price of 410 shells is terrible!   GW

Howdy,

12 gauge light loads.

If you can find a spare stock to cut to their size you 

will be good to go.  

Angle the cut for shooting down not up.

Probably a shotgun that they wont have to cock.

Best

CR

12 ga light loads.  Stoeger side x side.  Cut the stock to fit length of pull.  My sone is 13 and he has been using this set up since he was 10 and 90 lbs.  

if you are interested in the load data send me a pm.  

I agree with recommendations on a 12 gauge. I have 3 Buckaroos with the youngest being 8 years old. We got a 97 from Outlaw Gambler and he put a mercury recoil suppressor and a thick butt pad on it. He will cut it down and make it fit just right for young shooters. The way most people measure for fit isn't usually short enough for our type of shooting and especially pump action guns. My 2 younger boys couldn't hold it on their shoulder and pump it well so they held it under their armpit. They actually did pretty good but their accuracy was inconsistent. I read  https://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/236477-cutting-a-97-stock/

and decided to cut off another couple inches and am very happy with that! Now everyone can shoot it well and I even like to shoot it better than when it was long. So it works fine for all ages. My boys handle low recoil 12 gauge rounds fine. We get the Herters low recoil from cabelas. 

for all the 20 vs 12 gauge proponents. Light 12 gauge shells and light 20 gauge shells both shoot almost exactly the same weight of shot.

Winchester AA Low Recoil 20 Gauge Shotshells  980 fps 7/8 oz of shot (0.875 ounces)

Winchester AA Low Recoil 12 Gauge Shotshells  980 fps 26 grams of shot (0.917 ounces)

Because the 12 ga gun will weight more than 20 gauge gun; the the felt recoil will be less in a 12 gauge than a 20. 

I would agree that a 12 is better for a serious shooter, I would suggest a single barrel 410 with ejector for a youth to try.  We started with a single shot, youngest then went to double barrel 410.  Was harder to load 2 shells with small hands and harder than you think to shuck empty, very light hulls. Get them hooked, then move to the 12.

Just my .02

Volga Vigilante 

15 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

I am looking at getting a 410 for the visiting kids to use at our matches.  Any recommendations as to makes? 

To directly address the OP's question I can recommend shotguns made by or at least imported through CZ-USA.  Good quality guns that are not super expensive.  They offer a number of sweet little SxS in both 28 and 410ga.  As others have said a 12ga might be better for all the reasons already mentioned, but if you do not reload, very light 12ga ammo is not that easy to find (at least in my experience.)  While not cheap all 410 ammo is light on the shoulder.  A .410 is an experts gauge when it comes to dove and clays, for SASS I think a 410 would serve a buckaroo just fine.

I have a hammered .410 double for kids that I now use for grandchildren. I also have 28, 20, 16 and 12 gauge doubles for the kids as they age. Naturally, when older, I let them use one of my 10 gauge doubles. I have no interest in loading multi gauges and calibers so I purchase inexpensive .410s and others. I have nice brass shells for 20, 16, 12 and, of course, 10 gauge so I can load very light shells for the kids.

I have been an instructor for US and Canadian youth for decades. My key to developing good shots is to have stocks shaped to properly fit the girls and boys.

My kids  went with 12 gauge and cut the stocks.  Save the wood so it can be glued and doweled back on for a later date.  I went with SKB's for both.  Jessica, aka SASS Kicker is still shooting the same shotgun she received over seven years ago.  Single trigger Baikals are also a good choice.  Johnny Meadows  in Camp Verde can slick them up when needed. The low recoil Winchesters work great.  Good luck

I will say that I have yet to see a Young shooter shy away from recoil. Most have an ear to ear grin the first time they shoot a 12 gauge in a match.

Personally I feel one loaded with a nice coarse load of Real BP that belches fire and smoke would make them smile even bigger.

for cowboy - i bought a stoeger 410 double , it gets tham used to where the real deal goes with the 12ga and without the intimidation factor - the graduation is real easy with ultra light 12 ga loads , 

for other shooting - trap , sporting clays - skeet [god forbid - only cause i suck at it] you can go with the pump but the semi-auto 12 ga kicks less than a pump 20ga and the 410 is a recipe for failure -  you want them breaking targets from the get-go that way they stay interested , also get someone you know is good teaching kids to instruct , you all will enjoy it , 

Archived