SASS Wire Forum

45-60 brass source lost

Dirty Doc, SASS #18176

Dang! I finally found some 45-60 brass "somewhere", ordered it (100) and did NOT write down the info. I only get on line a few times a month. If whomever sent me that site could send me that site again, I would be a happy camper; either check on order or order some more.  I REALLY want to know if this hoss is as sweet shootin' as they say. Any input appreciated, Dirty Doc

On 2/2/2018 at 5:31 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

X2 on Starline.

Make sure you anneal before loading.

OLG

I use Starline in ALL my cowboy guns, have thousands. Why the heck should I have to anneal them before loading? I would think it legal quicksand to sell brass not ready to load. I will only be using lead or coated lead and SMOKELESS powder, probably Trail Boss.

Just now, Dirty Doc, SASS #18176 said:

I use Starline in ALL my cowboy guns, have thousands. Why the heck should I have to anneal them before loading? I would think it legal quicksand to sell brass not ready to load. I will only be using lead or coated lead and SMOKELESS powder, probably Trail Boss.

Simple-You anneal rifle caliber brass to stop work hardening of the case mouth, to give more consistent case neck tension and a better chamber seal.

It's SOP in many forums of BP long range competition. ;)

BTW-Starline on their website say to anneal their rifle cases.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/45-90-Brass-45-24/

Carry on,

OLG

On 2/2/2018 at 5:22 PM, Turquoise Bill, SASS #39118 said:

It's available from Starline

TB

Just checked. Starline does not list 45-60. Another source maybe??

1 minute ago, Dirty Doc, SASS #18176 said:

Just checked. Starline does not list 45-60. Another source maybe??

In stock here, and it's Starline.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/17830

OLG

Checking my sources, as referenced above, Grafs & Sons does carry it, however you can make it from easily obtainable 45-70 brass, here is a link to the Youtube video:

TB

T

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

THANKS PARDS!! I ordered 100 from Grafs for $.68 per round delivered. Midways was $2.35 a round for 20. I probably already ordered them there. LOL Now for bullets and D.J.'s loads...Doc

Grafs for $.68 per round delivered. Midways was $2.35 a round for 20.

Doc, best you buy a new calculator ... mine says $0.5999 per case on Midway for 100 cases - $0.6853 delivered

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/941250344/starline-reloading-brass-40-65-wcf

Where did you come up with $2.35 a round for 20? :o

On 2/4/2018 at 6:31 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If you don't cast your own bullets.

This is a good place to shop.

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

OLG

Thanks, OLG, I still have a sackfull from Dixie that wasn't lubed or sized. Gonna have ta read up on how to size and lube.....AFTER I learn how to read.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:22 PM, John Boy said:

Doc, best you buy a new calculator ... mine says $0.5999 per case on Midway for 100 cases - $0.6853 delivered

That were 45-60, not 45-65. At any rate, it wuz late at night and low in the quart jar.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:26 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OLG

Oh My Son, My Son!!!! Why did you do this to me???  You gave me GRAF'S link for 45-60 brass and I ordered it immediately...Uh, except that it was 40-65 instead of 45-60. I KNEW it sounded too good. I helps that I am lisdectic when looking at numbers. Would you or ANYBODY know of a source for 45-60 brass with 45-60 headstamps?? I am DYING to shoot this thing!!!  Thank you for the effort. All which is in vain is vanity.....McDoc

I dang neer did 'er again. I am looking for 45-60 brass for a Uberti 1876, NOT 40-65 brass for a God-knows what.. PLEASE forward ANY source for 45-60 brass. I am desperate to load and shoot this thing. Someone told me that TEN-X had loaded rounds. I'm willin' to try a box from them just to shoot the '76. Now to mine TEN-X. Thank you for the effort. McDoc

7 minutes ago, Dirty Doc, SASS #18176 said:

Oh My Son, My Son!!!! Why did you do this to me???  You gave me GRAF'S link for 45-60 brass and I ordered it immediately...Uh, except that it was 40-65 instead of 45-60. I KNEW it sounded too good. I helps that I am lisdectic when looking at numbers. Would you or ANYBODY know of a source for 45-60 brass with 45-60 headstamps?? I am DYING to shoot this thing!!!  Thank you for the effort. All which is in vain is vanity.....McDoc

:blush: I sure did-SORRY! :blush:

OLG

Guest Grass Range #51406

I wanted to shoot my Win 45-60. Looked for 3 years everywhere. None. Found some on this site due to the kindness of one of our SASS folks. Thanks again

On 2/4/2018 at 3:54 PM, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

If you ordered it online, check your computer history for that day.

I checked and it was from one of the B/O companies. I have spent SIX hours on-line today searching for 45-60 ammo or brass. I was so excited with the input I have received from SASS pards that I have actually ordered @ bags of 100 40-65 instead of 45-60, not noticing that either they or I was lisdectic. I have NEVER hung a gun over a door or fireplace, but I am starting to fear that this is where this one will wind up. This is the third day I have spent a whole afternoon searching for cartridges or brass, mostly brass. I didn't work THIS hard finding fodder for my 44 Remington. You'd think that. as popular as the 45-60 is supposed to be, that someone would have the brass for it. Thank the Lord I did't get one in 45-75!!!!!! Think I'll go load a can full of 38-40 and terrorize some iron so's I don't wrap this 1876 around a tree....McDoc

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

:blush: I sure did-SORRY! :blush:

OLG

Well, for what it's worth, I got THREE sources for 40-65. I never even HEARD of that one!!!:lol:

I took a quick look around the Web, and I'm kind of shocked to see everyone who stocks/stocked .45-60 is out of stock. The next easiest thing is to just trim .45-70's, and you're good to go.

On 2/4/2018 at 3:19 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Simple-You anneal rifle caliber brass to stop work hardening of the case mouth, to give more consistent case neck tension and a better chamber seal.

It's SOP in many forums of BP long range competition. ;)

BTW-Starline on their website say to anneal their rifle cases.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/45-90-Brass-45-24/

Carry on,

OLG

Color me stupit, buy how does one old numb-fingered cowboy anneal the 45-60 brass I have found from 4 helpful SASSers? I will only be using, probably, Trail Boss, not the Holy Black. I reserve Coal dust for my shooters with nipples. Got sent loads for Unique, etc. Any safe smokeless loads for a UBERTI 1876 appreciated. I primarily use CLAYS and Trail Boss for all my CAS shooters. THANK YOU!!! DOC

ORANGE BLOSSOMS !!! I ordered from two links and got 40-54 instead of 45-60.. Color me lisdectic! I already traded off 100 40-65 to one cow puncher and 100 to another. I will have over 100 from these trades and other CAS-SASSERS. That be enough. 

To get even heating, I chuck the empty, un-primed case head into a drill press, using just light hand pressure to secure it. The lights in the shop are turned off, I start the drill press up, then apply heat with a propane torch until I see the case mouth just starting to turn a dull red - it takes only a few seconds. Then I bring a small can of water up to the spinning case and immerse the mouth. Hit the off switch, remove the case, repeat.

20 hours ago, Dirty Doc, SASS #18176 said:

Color me stupit, buy how does one old numb-fingered cowboy anneal the 45-60 brass I have found from 4 helpful SASSers? I will only be using, probably, Trail Boss, not the Holy Black. I reserve Coal dust for my shooters with nipples. Got sent loads for Unique, etc. Any safe smokeless loads for a UBERTI 1876 appreciated. I primarily use CLAYS and Trail Boss for all my CAS shooters. THANK YOU!!! DOC

Lots of You-Tube vids out on annealing.

OLG

30 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Lots of You-Tube vids out on annealing.

OLG

thank you OLG!!! Simple enough, though I can't feel the heat till I am fried!!!!:o

Archived