SASS Wire Forum

Soft upper trigger metal

I have been dry firing my '73 rifle in 357 a bit more than usual lately and had a sear that would not hold the hammer back, (hammer was following the extension). When fully cocked you could push the hammer forward into battery. Checked it and the edge was worn almost flat and had a small chip in it. Hammer appeared undamaged and did not have any unusual wear patterns. No idea how old the hammer and sear are but probably 6 years or more.

I had a pair of upper triggers in the parts box so put one in. Sear held nicely and had a clean release after a bit of stoning with a ceramic(?) white sharpener/polisher that I got from Brownells some time ago. No filing or dremal work only the very fine flat edged sharpening stone by hand. After less than a thousand dry fires started getting a "hitch" in the trigger release. Took everything apart and the sear portion of the upper trigger was rough to the touch and under a magnifying glass you can see burrs beginning to form along the edge. Hammer still looks like new compared to my spare.

I have a spare hammer.

I have one remaining upper trigger/sear.

I would rather figure out what to do with the currently "used" parts rather than sacrifice my new ones.

Saw a video about "Cherry Red" as a surface hardener from Rosemill.com but I have no idea of the metal composition of my parts and whether such a process would work.

Any thoughts from the Wire guru's?

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

What have you got to lose?  Try it.  The trigger parts are surfaced hardened.  Once you go through it they wear quickly.  I stone a sear only as a last resort.  If I do then I heat it and put it in Kasenite.

Ok

I am not well versed in metal, care or maintenance.

Kasenite? Similar to the “cherry red” stuff?

I will look it up tonight but I certainly value your expertise and experience.

thanks

Gateway Kid

Yep, both of those case hardening powders will apply a hard SURFACE again to your steel parts.   They force a bit of nitride (Kasenit) or chromium (Cherry Red) into the surface layer of the steel, when the steel is heated cherry red hot with a torch and dunked in the powder and heated again.

Part must be a carbon steel part - so Uberti sear will take it real well.   A stainless steel part - would probably not.  Get the part to exact shape first.  then harden it.  That way you don't take all the hardened surface back off by stoning after hardening.  Follow the instructions on the container.  If discarding Kasenit powder after you get done with it, realize it has cyanides in it, so seal it to keep any acids from coming in contact with the powder.  Cherry Red doesn't have cyanides in it - probably why Brownells and a few other carriers had to discontinue it a few years ago.

That much wear on sear would make me carefully reexamine the hammer notch.   Hard to tear up the sear surface without hammer's full cock notch either being real rough or some part of hammer impacting the sear tip (rather than just the sear tip sliding off the hammer notch) (check that half cock shelf is not whacking the sear tip as hammer falls).

Good luck, GJ

Not only check the trigger notch but the safety notch.  Many times the sear is slightly catching the safety notch while firing and that will wear the sear.

(Since we do not use the half cock, some folks used to just remove it from the hammer.  Or check the set up so the sear can avoid that notch while you are  pulling the trigger.)

I don't believe that Kasenite is available anymore.  So the cherry red stuff is a replacement that works pretty well, I understand.

looks like they have a substitute they are selling

That current Brownell's product has EXACTLY the same ingredients in the SDS sheet as does Cherry Red (which is produced by Rose Mill Company).  So, I would suppose it IS the Cherry Red product, in a Brownell's jar.

Good luck, GJ

Thank you all:)!!!

The knowledge and willingness to share your expertise is what makes this game special.

Just got home and will be doing some research as to which way to go now that I have some idea of what is happening

Regards (and thanks again)

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived