SASS Wire Forum

PMC .45-70 Brass Question

Lead Friend, SASS #53635

I recently started reloading .45-70 and have been using brass I’ve stockpiled over the years. I sort and reload my brass by headstamp. I started with Starline and everything has worked predictably well. Last night I cleaned some PMC brass and it’s not the same bright yellow as clean Starline, rather it has a reddish hue to it almost like it’s copper washed. A Google search hasn’t revealed any clues although one forum said that PMC brass is heavier than other headstamps. Are there any notable differences between PMC .45-70 brass and others that I should consider? Is it worth the effort to reload it?

Thank you in advance for considering this question.

PMC brass will reload just fine. I segregate my brass by headstamp also and sometimes a slight adjustment in powder charge is called for due to the different case capacities. Also adjusting the crimp die for different brass is not uncommon.

I would think it would be just fine. I ran into a similar situation a long time ago with 30-30 and .357. No biggie.

BUT (there is always a "but") make sure the length is okay. Sometimes, Hornady is a good example, the length is just slightly longer or shorter.

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I would think it would be just fine. I ran into a similar situation a long time ago with 30-30 and .357. No biggie.

BUT (there is always a "but") make sure the length is okay. Sometimes, Hornady is a good example, the length is just slightly longer or shorter.

Yep Hornady Leveroution ammo in 45-70 uses a shorter than standard case. If you ever buy used 45-70 be sure it is not the Leveroution brass. 

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

How much shorter?

OLG

IIRC it is about 0.070 shorter than the SAAMI spec.

Here is a pic I found. The Leverolution brass in on the left.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52815&d=1255

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I would NOT use it then. IF that is the case.

OP-What is the length difference?

OLG

OP's question was about PMC brass that is a lot redder in color than new Starline brass. His brass doesn't have the length issue.

I was just clarifying PR's post about some Hornady brass being a non-standard length.  I got a couple cases in a lot of used brass I bought a couple of years ago and learned a lot researching the issue.

BTW you can reload the shorter Leverolution brass just fine. You just have to have a crimp die that will work with the shorter brass.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

OP's question was about PMC brass that is a lot redder in color than new Starline brass. His brass doesn't have the length issue.

I was just clarifying PR's post about some Hornady brass being a non-standard length.  I got a couple cases in a lot of used brass I bought a couple of years ago and learned a lot researching the issue.

BTW you can reload the shorter Leverolution brass just fine. You just have to have a crimp die that will work with the shorter brass.

:blush: YOU are correct, as to the OP's concern. Some how I got it in my little brain he was also ask'n about length..........:rolleyes:

I will not run the short leverolution brass for any serious match grade loading. To much bullet 'jump'.

You should always be crimping lever gun ammo.

OLG

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Yep Hornady Leveroution ammo in 45-70 uses a shorter than standard case. If you ever buy used 45-70 be sure it is not the Leveroution brass. 

That’s exactly right. Many of Hornady’s loads have short brass. 45 Colt, .357, .38 and not just in Leverevolution, which by the way, shoots wonderfully in my guns.

The reddish color may be from someone using vinegar or some other acid base cleaner on the PMC brass.

3 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

When you pull the trigger on a 45-70 Leverution cartridge in a light carbine you won’t do it again!

Try a box of it in a Baikal DR:wacko:

I was balck and blue from my shoulder to my elbow:blush:

If you think Hornady Lever evolution .45-70 rounds Kick ,,, you sure wouldn't like shooting my Back-up loads from when I was Guiding bear hunts ....

Jabez Cowboy

13 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

Try a box of it in a Baikal DR:wacko:

I was balck and blue from my shoulder to my elbow:blush:

400 gr Speer flat point. 1800 fps.  Marlin 1895.  Recoil is noticable.

fun to shoot.

Archived