SASS Wire Forum

Little finger

Red Cent

An interesting item came up with a prospective customer. How many of you do or don't curl the little finger under the grip of the revolver?

I have a couple of Uberti Smoke Wagons and I always curl my little finger under the grip.  Taylor’s & Co. tells me that they have ordered several sets of the grip and frame that they sell on the Gunfighter model and they should be a bolt on to the Smoke Wagons.  I would just buy a set of Gunfighters but they do not come in 44-40.

I was taught by some gunfighters around here that it helps a little in recoil but it also will give you a consistent position on the grip. At first, I did what I was taught in IPSC. Get the highest grip you can on the 1911.

A few times I was so high, I had trouble cocking the revolver. As soon as I started to use the little finger, I never had to think about shifting the revolver for a better grip. Now, of course, it is second nature. 

Like anything else in cowboy, you have to commit the grip to the subconscious.

50 minutes ago, Red Cent said:

I was taught by some gunfighters around here that it helps a little in recoil but it also will give you a consistent position on the grip. At first, I did what I was taught in IPSC. Get the highest grip you can on the 1911.

A few times I was so high, I had trouble cocking the revolver. As soon as I started to use the little finger, I never had to think about shifting the revolver for a better grip. Now, of course, it is second nature. 

Like anything else in cowboy, you have to commit the grip to the subconscious.

Under!

I don't. Never thought about it. Had to get out a gun an check.

Me Too!

Howdy

I learned a long time ago that with a stout load, such as my Black Powder 45 Colt loads, the trigger guard will whack the knuckle of my middle finger in recoil if I try to cram my entire hand onto the grip.

Ouch.

Curling my pinky under the grip opens up about 1/4" of space between the trigger guard and my knuckle. That way I do not get the knuckle whack.

No problem controlling the gun with the pinky curled under the grip, I don't hold the gun with an iron grip, I allow the grip to rotate slightly in my hand in recoil.

Been shooting all my single action revolvers that way for a long time now.

Pistol%2002_zpsx1mghgzu.jpg

I have small hands. I use all of my fingers on my OM Ruger Vaqueros with my Gunfighter grips. I shoot wart hog loads of Holy Black

How one positions their pinky finger can be traced back to their upbringing, thus creating a habit that is hard to break.

For example, as a baby, one may have drunk their milk like such:

5a73265c70294_DrinkingwithPinkyFingerExtended-RESIZED.jpg.57fbca166804439dd5daf169ab62112d.jpg

Then later in life, that habit translates to drinking tea as an adult:

5a732667964fe_DrinkingTeawithPinkyFingerExtended-RESIZED.jpg.bded9ac9352c9efce3972544ddddea10.jpg

Therefore, it would seem natural for some to extend their pinky finger when holding a six shooter. :P

13 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

I learned a long time ago that with a stout load, such as my Black Powder 45 Colt loads, the trigger guard will whack the knuckle of my middle finger in recoil if I try to cram my entire hand onto the grip.

Ouch.

Curling my pinky under the grip opens up about 1/4" of space between the trigger guard and my knuckle. That way I do not get the knuckle whack.

No problem controlling the gun with the pinky curled under the grip, I don't hold the gun with an iron grip, I allow the grip to rotate slightly in my hand in recoil.

Been shooting all my single action revolvers that way for a long time now.

Ditto...it's one of the reasons I use "slim" grip panels from Altamont. I get a nice grip this way.

31 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Therefore, it would seem natural for some to extend their pinky finger when holding a six shooter. :P

Or picking your nose...:huh::P:D

It amazes me the nuances of CA shooting that are discussed on this forum, but I love it! I had to go get out my Ruger New Vaquero and grip it to answer this, because my grip is automatic and instinctual. No, I don't curl my little finger under the grip.

My arthritic fingers dont like the joints being pulled sideways very much, so no small gripped guns like NMV. My 1st gen colt clones have a large enough grip that is not a problem and i get a little more control with the little finger grip.  I used to shoot nosebleed loads in .44mag on bowling pins and needed every bit of control I could muster. cowboy loads ,not so much.

Imis and my $.02

Very small hands and short fingers (wear children's age 7-8 gloves) so no on any of my guns semis or cowboy action.  All fingers on grip and often still have space below pinky finger on grip.

The Colt SAA needs to "roll" back in the hand upon recoil in order to position the hammer where it can be reached with the thumb of the shooting hand to cock the revolver for the next shot.  Whether it was intentionally designed thusly, or thru happy circumstance is debatable.  As Driftwood notes, too high a grip position, which one would might believe would aid cocking, does place that middle finger knuckle in harm's way.  I don't have such large hands that's there not room on the grip for me to get at least half my little finger on the grip, but... when shooting two-handed, it is far more comfortable to have the little finger wrapped under the grip.  This leaves plenty of room on the backstrap for the hammer to come to full cock with NO contact with my strong hand, and my supporting hand has ample clearance with the trigger finger & the support hand thumb can cock the hammer and still not interfere with the forward movement of the hammer.   

I have observed that for duelist shooters, it largely depends on which part of the thumb they use to cock the hammer; the tip, the knuckle or the base... yes, it can differ, and have seen a few others, & myself, use different parts depending on whether it the first shot of the string, the second, or ...;  I suppose that's what makes other folks better duelists than I am.   A consistent grip being necessary for consistent results.  And while that may be the mantra for Bullseye shooters, it carries over into nearly all aspects of shooting.

And for those that don't already know, the Bisley was introduced in 1894 and was designed for the target shooting of the day... What we now call bullseye.  One handed, arm extended, sights at eye level... 

"The Colt SAA needs to "roll" back in the hand upon recoil........"  Grif, Grif, the gamer's gun doesn't recoil. 

My Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag has that tendency. But my 3-screw Blackhawks in 357 and 4 5/8" barrel barely moves;). Noticed the same thing about a few cowboys that can dump 10 in about 3 seconds or less:ph34r:

If my barrel would flip, I would miss the hammer.

If one practices and develops a draw and fire from the beep (great reflexes) in less than 1.25 seconds, the insurance of a consistent and proper grip is worth gold. I would guess a duelist or gunfighter would not need the pinkie placement since they are moving the gun in their hands before they pull the trigger. I suppose the squaw grip would be the most pinkie advantageous.

Anyone who has shot modern Double Action Revolver tries to get that high tight master grip ala Jerry Miculek.  The problem is that with any Single Action you can crowd the hammer with the web of your hand and it makes it difficult to re-cock the hammer.

An old friend of mine - now - corrected me many years ago.  that friend was Driftwood Johnson.  I changed my master grip and haven't looked back.

Anytime someone tells me that they have large hands and are thinking about going to a Bisley grip frame, I ask about their master grip.  Last pard locally was an older gent and a retired cop.  He was an old DA revolver shooter.  Yup.  he changed his master grip too.

Archived