SASS Wire Forum

Dam Site 2018

Creeker, SASS #43022

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I shot Damn Site last year.

All of the sequences and distances are the big, close, and shootable stages that Creeker and the Eldarado cowboys have based their reputation on.  

Calling this an “old style shoot” is kind of misleading.   It’s a modern Eldarado Cowboys match, with the illusion of an old school flair.   

There isn’t anything that has the “old school” safety concerns, nothing required getting into or out of awkward positions, lifting or moving heavy objects, excessively athletic skills (beyond basic SASS shooting).

It was an enjoyable match, with a few “gimmicks” (almost all done off the clock) that were all easily accomplished, that gave a small “old school” nastalgic feel 

For instance.....

Last year we shot one target that set off a mine explosion. (Black powder shotgun blank)

We shot a bunch of cockroaches (on paper)

Everyone had to shoot their shotgun with a roll of toilet paper stuck to the end. (Foam pipe wrap)

And we shot the heads off snakes. (PVC pipe)

3 hours ago, C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100 said:

Shooting a cockroach is like shooting a puppy dog.  Not good !

If it is any consolation - not all of us got to shoot the cockroaches.

The PAPER cockroach target was the third target array engaged on the stage

and I happened to follow a black powder shooter...

Unnoticed by anyone; his pistol rounds had set the paper targets and wooden target stand smoldering.

So I shot my rifle, moved to 2nd position and engaged shotgun.

As I transitioned to the pistol position...

There was a gust of wind that set off the smoldering embers and WHOOOOF - the entire stand, cardboard backing and paper targets went up in flames.

I stood there, pistols out, watching and  giggling as the flames engulfed the target. 

Wasting about two seconds before it dawned on me that I should complete my stage.

The downside was I did not get to shoot at our nifty printed cockroach target - the upside was since the target was now turning to ash - no one could say I missed anything.

5 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

Does Cassie know you squish puppies????:o

Seems Damascus John, (or as he is known in Southern Nevada; Ugly Puppy) is the one who should be most upset about this.

15 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

Does Cassie know you squish puppies????:o

Sure she knows it.

Isn't shoving Damascus John (Ugly puppy) in the back seat of a car with Gawd Awful driving 250 miles with three sets of guns and a gun cart considered SQUISHED!

3 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

Sure she knows it.

Isn't shoving Damascus John (Ugly puppy) in the back seat of a car with Gawd Awful driving 250 miles with three sets of guns and a gun cart considered SQUISHED!

Nah.     He’s skinny 

Received an email from a shooter that had read the stages and regarding the elements of chance in Dam Site,  questioned my term zero sum.

I have mentioned that there are elements of old school "chance" in Dam Site, but they are actually zero sum events. 

Meaning that no matter your dice throw or card choice - the random event should not affect the playing field.

I'll give a couple old school examples that are NOT zero sum.

4 card suit targets;

heart, diamond, club, spade.

All arranged in a row; at the beep - pick a card and whatever suit you have - begin on that target for a continuous single tap Nevada sweep.  Do the same, rifle and pistol.

There is a distinct and measurable advantage to picking whatever suit is the first target on the left.

Or another example, same target array.

Pick a card, if your card is red - alternate between the heart and diamond for 10 rounds.

If your card is black - between the club and spade for ten rounds.

Since generally, specialty targets begin as the same size plate - when the steel is cut away to create a club or spade; the resulting target is smaller than the steel remaining on the heart or diamond.

Significant advantage to pulling a red card.

These stages create an environment where "luck" unfairly impacts the score sheet.

A zero sum event means no matter what chance element, everyone minimally still has to perform the same actions.

An example from Dam Site is the die roll that determines starting gun and using shooters birth year to determine starting target.

Shooter rolls a die marked with a R or a P to establish starting gun.

And if born in an even year must begin on a rearmost target. 

Odd years begin on a near target.

Four targets in play; each target must engaged 5x; at least one time by each type firearm.

These combinations of events would seem to make a very random and different stage for every shooter.

But it is actually balanced and zero sum. There is no benefit or penalty to pistols or rifle first as both have to be used.

There is no benefit or penalty to front or rear targets first as all have to be engaged.

Everyone has to fulfill the EXACT same obligations to rounds on plates.

Meaning that while it feels random and variable (old school); it is really as defined and structured as any modern round count stage.

This was one of our challenges; creating events that paid homage to the randomness and luck of yesterday without actually impacting the shooting competion of today.

Take a look at the stages; let us know how you think we did.

And if it seems like fun;

join us in Boulder City, NV for the Eldorado Cowboys,

"Best Shoot by a Dam Site"

May 5th & 6th, 2018

Any time there is any Shooter's choice, then all Shooters will not shoot the exact same sequences in the exact same order.  Thus, there is not equivalent competition.

But such imparts some uncertainty and fun (to me).  Also, all competitions are generally so.  Even if, all Shooters were to shoot the exact same sequences in the exact same order, all shooters would not be shooting in equivalent weather, sun light, etc conditions.   There is, actually, no way to provide an equivalent experience to all Shooters.  The same is true of all competitions except, perhaps, one on one competitions.

There  is no such thing as perfect.   Lets simply enjoy ourselves.  It is a game, not life - which is more uncertain.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gawd Awful said:

Any chance of an RO class? 

Not likely.

I do not have access to a classroom during Dam Site and the match is just Saturday and Sunday.

I am going to try my best to set one up on Thursday of Eldorado. That will be October 04, 2018

We are receiving more sign ups everyday - Our latest shooters are Sly Dog and Savanna Star - Only 30 something spots left and two months to go.

Dam Site sold out in 2017 and we are ahead of schedule regarding shooters so far this year.

If FAST shooting mixed with a little OLD SCHOOL flavor appeals to you - don't miss out on this one.

Archived