SASS Wire Forum

Dam Site 2018

Creeker, SASS #43022

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

Dang, I didn’t think about that. I might need to change my category to Lady Duelist. I wouldn’t have to compete against Pecos Nick anymore. :lol:

I thought you were going to start a Horizontal Duelist Category?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Dang, I didn’t think about that. I might need to change my category to Lady Duelist. I wouldn’t have to compete against Pecos Nick anymore. :lol:

You’ve never “competed against” Pecos Nick,  you have only signed up in his category. 

Competing against assumes you you had any hope at all of beating him :P

2 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

You’ve never “competed against” Pecos Nick,  you have only signed up in his category. 

I...........uhhhhhh..........DAMN! There’s no coming back from that one. I’m going to go over here to the corner where I’ll sit and sulk.................and plot my revenge at Winter Range. :angry:

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

I...........uhhhhhh..........DAMN! There’s no coming back from that one. I’m going to go over here to the corner where I’ll sit and sulk.................and plot my revenge at Winter Range. :angry:

Do you need to file a report with Creeker? :lol::lol:

84f8b5522cbc87d6c565048c2757e2b0--funny-

OLG

27 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Ha! You think Creeker would be on my side? 

My friend, I am always on your side...

Ok, more accurately off to your side (way off to your side), somewhere so far off to the side that I'm way out of the line of fire.

Besides I do enough to draw my own fire.

3 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

That's not completely true.

When Nick was 12 or 13; I seem to recall Shooting Bull being able to hold his own against Nick....

Then Nick came back and shot his second match.

12 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

NO!

(I think it was a night shoot that went past his curfew:(

And Shooting bull wins the internet for today.   I give up until tomorrow :D

Interesting things are happening with this match.  Some of our "usual" shooters are declining to attend because of the "old school" components.  While at the same time, we are noting an uptick in "new" shooters to Eldorado events that are signing up because of the same components.  While I feel bad that some shooters will not be joining us; it is nice to see others coming to play with us for the first time. 

Hopefully those that don't play at Dam Site will consider Eldorado in October.

7 hours ago, C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100 said:

Sometimes just having Fun is best.

Just everyone has a different ideas of fun. 

And some are stuck in the mindset that any thing different is bad.

Sometimes makes me wonder how they ever decided to try cowboy action in the first place.

Changes...  CHAA CHA CHA Changes...

After receiving input from a respected shooter; we are making changes to Stage 6 of the Dam Site event.

The stage as written and props as designed were thoroughly tested for issue and safety. 

But perception of this setup and execution was viewed as potentially unsafe by some shooters. 

Since, the comfort and safety of our shooters is always our paramount priority, the Board of the Eldorado Cowboys decided that to it was best to acknowledge and alleviate the concerns of unsafe occurance by changing the prop and requirements on stage 6.

The Eldorado Cowboys are always welcoming and receptive to the input and direction, praise or criticism from our shooters and we are constantly striving to ensure that our shoots are fun, well thought out and most importantly safe environments.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you at Dam Site 2018.

The revised stage will be posted on our website soon.

Updated stage 6 has been added to the stages online.

http://eldoradocowboys.com/assets/applets/DAM_SITE_2018_-_final_-_AMENDED_STAGE_6.pdf

Take a look - and we hope to see you at Dam Site 2018.

Oh, just another "thing".

In addition to the full booklet of stages - EVERY shooter will be receiving a copy of my Posse Marshal walk thru notes.

This ensures that every shooter has the actual straight info regarding questions and concerns on every stage.

In addition to my own notes - I am compiling notes from the various questions that I have received from shooters.

Our Posse Marshals do a fine job - but allowing the shooter to read for his or herself (if they wish to) the ins and outs from each stage "may" create for a more consistent explanation of the options each shooter may employ.

8 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Oh, just another "thing".

In addition to the full booklet of stages - EVERY shooter will be receiving a copy of my Posse Marshal walk thru notes.

This ensures that every shooter has the actual straight info regarding questions and concerns on every stage.

In addition to my own notes - I am compiling notes from the various questions that I have received from shooters.

Our Posse Marshals do a fine job - but allowing the shooter to read for his or herself (if they wish to) the ins and outs from each stage "may" create for a more consistent explanation of the options each shooter may employ.

THIS is something that should become SOP at all major matches.

What a great idea!

OLG

13 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

THIS is something that should become SOP at all major matches.

What a great idea!

OLG

We appreciate this.  

The biggest complaint of big shoots is almost always inconsistency between posses. 

Posse 2 did something this way; Posse 4 wasn't told that was an option.  

While it rarely materially changes the scoresheets - It does create hard feelings and if everyone having access to the walk thru clarifications and options makes for a more uniformed shoot or a more informed shooter; I don't see a downside.

On 2/8/2018 at 3:31 PM, Shooting Bull said:

I wanted to use real handcuffs

I figured that would remind you of that “hazing” incident you suffered when you where 17.    Do you still cry when you see a broomstick????

Since the Eldorado Cowboys announced the Best Shoot by a Dam Site would be an Old School style shoot; I have received a lot of questions...

Why is Eldorado returning to old school?

Don't you remember old school? 

Are you insane? (not really sure if that question directly pertained to the shoot or was more general in nature).

The comments I have heard have included...

Old School sequences were overly difficult and filled with "P" traps.

Old School shooting positions were unsafe and our older shooters today cannot lay on the ground or perform heavy tasks.

Old School had too many elements of chance that affected the outcome of a shooting match.

And in the Old School days; the targets were out so far that missing was as common as hitting.

Why would Eldorado want to return to all of that?

So let me address these questions...

First; the Eldorado Cowboys have made our reputation putting on big, close and fast shoots. 

The Best Shoot by a Dam Site will NOT abandon these principles. 

The steel placement and shooting sequences will be fully in line with the 2018 current methods of close and fast.

Stages and sequences are available for review on the eldoradocowboys.com website.

So, if not distant targets and difficult sequences; what do we mean by "Old School"?

Over the years as targets have grown larger and moved in closer; the "playing" cowboy part of cowboy action has gotten squeezed out as well.

Part of the draw of cowboy action for a lot of us was a return to our childhood games of cops and robbers and cowboys and indians. 

Running wildly thru our neighborhoods; fingers pointing and "bang, I got you".

But when we played, we always had a story and we had props.  

We had robbed the bank (bank bag was moms grocery sack filled with rocks).   

Or rustled the cattle (usually my buddies calico cat who loved to ride on your shoulder).

What we didn't do was simply stand still and shout, "bang,bang,bang,bang" as fast as we could until we were out of bangs to give. 

As 8 year olds we would have tired of that quickly.

As I still have that 8 year old mentality; a return to the playing cowboy part of cowboy action seemed like fun.

Now I like shooting fast and I hate missing and I hate elements of chance affecting the outcome of my match... 

But we want the match to make us feel like 8 year olds again...

How do we do that?

We add in old school style stories and silly sophomoric jokes.

We carefully craft old school elements of chance "type" games that cancel out and become zero sum (meaning there is no benefit or penalty to whatever card you happen to pick or dice you roll).

We add in an array of action targets that fall over or get knocked down or move.

We add activities that do not affect shooting; but add elements to the stage that relate to the story and the playing cowboy.  But every activity was carefully reviewed to ensure all are universal skills that give no home field advantage.

(carry the frog, pull arrows from your buddy, dump out a boot full of snakes).

Now while we have attempted to add in some of the old school feel of yesterday; you will NOT find any of the old school foolishness of deliberate "P" traps, unsafe shooting requirements (bedsprings, bathtubs, etc), and certainly no small targets placed in the next county.

The Eldorado Cowboys are simply attempting to flavor Dam Site with some of the good stuff from yesterday without losing what we love about the game today. 

And nothing we will ever do will change that Dam Site is a shooting competition first and foremost.

And lastly, whether Creeker is insane or not is still up for debate...

So why not join the Eldorado Cowboys for the Best Shoot by a Dam Site in historic Boulder City, NV

May 5th and 6th, 2018

Shoot with us; play cowboy and  decide for yourself Creekers sanity.

Archived