SASS Wire Forum

Dam Site 2018

Creeker, SASS #43022

The Eldorado Cowboys are proud to announce that the stages for The Best Shoot by a Dam Site are now posted.

http://www.eldoradocowboys.com/assets/applets/DAM_SITE_2018_-_final.pdf

May 5th and 6th, 2018

Dam Site is a two day (Saturday and Sunday) 10 stage match in historic Boulder City Nevada (just outside Las Vegas).

The Eldorado Cowboys put on two annual matches; one is the Nevada State championship in October; the other is Dam Site.

Dam Site is a smaller throwback match (we call it our Legacy match) that mixes in some of the old school flavors of yesterday while remembering that big and close became popular for a reason. 

Shooters will be:

Pulling arrows from your buddy.

"Stabbing" a card to determine starting target (red or black)

Carrying a frog

And loading shotshells from a box

Shooting with chains dangling from your broken handcuffs

Parking your stick horse and carrying the money bag

Rolling a die to decide starting gun

Dumping snakes from your boot

Along the way - there will be knockdown racks (rifle and pistols) - moving targets (rifle and pistols) - small chickens on 4x4 posts and silly stories on every stage.

Opportunities for strategic staging and make safes.

One stage even features the elusive "Lucky You" which mandates only that shotgun targets go down.  If you can get more than one down with a single shot...LUCKY YOU!

When possible - Shooters choice gun orders. 

Left to Right  - Right to Left -  Downrange movements.

NO stand and deliver.

NO repeated sequences.  Round count stages - Nevada sweep - knockdowns - Frog Jump sweep - Buffalo Sam sweep - Double Tap Nevada sweep (We live in Nevada - we are allowed) - Rattler John sweep.

Side matches - Saturday morning before main match

Awards and provided lunch on the range Sunday after match completion.

RV parking on the range.

Take a look at the stages and if it seems like fun - Join us in Boulder City, NV for

THE BEST SHOOT by a DAM SITE 2018

May 5th & 6th, 2018

Applications and scheduling available on our website under the Dam Site tab

http://www.eldoradocowboys.com/

Applications for Eldorado in October are now available as well.

Eldorado is a No Games - No Gimmicks full throttle match.

Join us in Nevada; where no matter your tastes - we have a match for you.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a great shoot last year.  With enough  “old school” stuff to be fun, without negativity affecting your ability to “compete in a shooting competition” 

1 hour ago, Gawd Awful said:

This was a great shoot last year.  With enough  “old school” stuff to be fun, without negativity affecting your ability to “compete in a shooting competition” 

And if folks look closely enough at the items of "chance" (card stab, die roll, etc);  they will notice there is not any benefit to one option versus another.  Either option still requires the same results to be achieved - protecting the "shooting competition" while interjecting the illusion of chance benefit.

All the prop manipulations are universal skills; the "arrows" are small diameter PVC tubes inside sleeves - so they simply slide right out.

Carrying something of a lightweight design should cause no undue hardship.

Even the dangling chains are more a mental challenge than physical as the chain lengths are short and the chain material is plastic.

The shooting challenges of knockdowns or movers should not surprise anyone.

We know that "old school" (even our 2018 version) was not/ is not everyones cup of tea and that's why we post the stages in advance so shooters can make an informed decision with their entertainment dollars.

So if you're on the fence or just curious; take a look at the stages.  Remember, its only the actions and attitude that is old school.  Steel placement will be 2018 big and close.

Hope to see you there.

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

I’m still on the fence about this one. Is that Gawd Awful character gonna be there again? :ph34r:

It is just like adult diapers...

It Depends...

If you're willing to attend only if he's not there...  Then, no.  I heard he had a scheduling conflict and cannot be there.

If you only want to come if he is there...

Then, yes.  He is a guaranteed shooter and welcomes you to Dam Site.

C'mon Shooting Bull, on the fence?Remember we started shooting and competing because it was fun. 

That's all a throwback match is; a chance to elevate fun again.

4 hours ago, Rattler John SASS#1866 LTG said:

I really want to see everyone that keeps posting about "where has all fun stuff gone" sign-up for this match.

It's a great match, you won't regret it,

A lot of shooters were not around in the "Olden" days of the game and have never "played cowboy".

Everyone may not want to shoot this style match - and that's ok.

This is why we have made the decision to differentiate our two annual shoots - Old School Flavor (Dam Site) and Full Throttle Modern (Eldorado); this gives everyone the opportunity for a Nevada based annual match that suits their tastes.

But, I'll stake my reputation that if you come to Dam Site with an open mind and willing to have some fun - You will shoot a pretty good match and maybe, just maybe enjoy a few laughs.

And for the folks that say "Old School adds too many elements of chance and luck"

Dam Site was written FIRST and FOREMOST as a shooting competition - Every prop, gag or movement was examined with a critical eye to ensure they were zero net.

That no matter what "element of chance" you happened to encounter - I assure you; it is balanced equally with any other possible option.

Or the "I don't like the old time silly stuff - we are never going to be taken seriously by other disciplines if we're carrying frogs and telling jokes" group.

if carrying a frog or breaking the handcuffs or even just telling silly stories means the black, plastic and tactical folks don't take us seriously... 

Who wants to be taken seriously?

Come play with us at Dam Site

Boulder City Nevada

May 5th & 6th, 2018

Real life is hard - Let's all have some fun - We deserve it.

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

C'mon Shooting Bull, on the fence? Remember we started shooting and competing because it was fun. 

That's all a throwback match is; a chance to elevate fun again.

You know darn good and well I’m gonna be there no matter what. But I still have to give him crap. That’s how I elevate fun. :lol:

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

You know darn good and well I’m gonna be there no matter what. But I still have to give him crap. That’s how I elevate fun. :lol:

I'm sure Creeker will 'review' all of your stage times, and will make the appropriate adjustments..........:D

:P

OLG

25 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I'm sure Creeker will 'review' all of your stage times, and will make the appropriate adjustments..........:D

:P

OLG

Actually, I don't have to adjust Shooting Bulls times; I just make sure that Pecos Nick is shooting.  

Having to race against Nick on the score sheet makes all the rest of us look slow.

4 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

............Or the "I don't like the old time silly stuff - we are never going to be taken seriously by other disciplines if we're carrying frogs and telling jokes" group.

if carrying a frog or breaking the handcuffs or even just telling silly stories means the black, plastic and tactical folks don't take us seriously... 

Who wants to be taken seriously?

Nothing wrong with carrying a frog, heck, some of my best friends carry around frogs everyday!  And snakes........., one of my favorite stages at Eldorado last year had us shooting the heads off of snakes!  Looks like I'll have to read the stages to see if they aren't too complicated for me!

21 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I’m still on the fence about this one. Is that Gawd Awful character gonna be there again? :ph34r:

IF I can make it to Damn Site this year, I’ll shoot dielist.   Without Nick around to remind you how slow you are, someone’s gotta step up to the plate, besides I’m kinda tired of beating up on poor old Creeker all the time.  

IF I can make it to Damn Site this year, I’ll shoot dielist.   Without Nick around to remind you how slow you are, someone’s gotta step up to the plate, besides I’m kinda tired of beating up on poor old Creeker all the time.  

You’ve GOT to be kidding. Beating up on Creeker never gets old. Besides, if you don’t beat up on him he’ll have to go back to beating himself. Wait! That didn’t come out right! :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Shooting Bull said:

You’ve GOT to be kidding. Beating up on Creeker never gets old. Besides, if you don’t beat up on him he’ll have to go back to beating himself. Wait! That didn’t come out right! :ph34r:

um, I specifically removed the chicken choking stage  because of what happened last year...

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

But beating up on you sounds like even more fun.  

41 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

um, I specifically removed the chicken choking stage  because of what happened last year...

You expected that stage to go any differently then it did ???? Really????  You didn’t think that through to well did you?

But beating up on you sounds like even more fun.  

Besides, I'm handicapped (physically) right now. 

Beating me now is easy (yes, even easier than before).

24 minutes ago, a d texaz said:

Creeker

sorry another match i will not be able to attend,

but i have a question about your stages,

what program are you using to create the stage?

powerpoint? word?

they are a work of art!

Regards AD

Thank you for the kind words.

We have a template in MS Publisher that we use for our stage creation. 

Easy to manipulate and insert pictures, shapes and text.

If you'd like; Send me a pm with your email and I will send you the template for you to work with.

24 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Really? You’re gonna try to play the handicapped card with me in the mix? :blink:

You're walking/ moving far better than I am right now.  Shoot, the way Im moving; I was thinking about seeing if the alias Festus was available.

3 hours ago, C0ckr0ach, SASS #26100 said:

Creeker and Shooting Bull - you are complaining much too early in life.

Wait until you are my age - then complain.

I have slowed up to about 25 seconds a Stage.  It is depressing !

Hey Bull, this is great news. 

Apparently when you get to be Cockroachs age; you will be able to shoot 25 second stages. 

I kind of wonder at what birthday you should start expecting that 20 seconds a stage improvement to kick in.

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Hey Bull, this is great news. 

Apparently when you get to be Cockroachs age; you will be able to shoot 25 second stages. 

I kind of wonder at what birthday you should start expecting that 20 seconds a stage improvement to kick in.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I’d kill to be able to average 25 seconds per stage. Well, I’d kill you or Gawd Awful to be able to do that. Anybody else I’d just rough up a bit. ;)

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I’d kill to be able to average 25 seconds per stage. Well, I’d kill you or Gawd Awful to be able to do that. Anybody else I’d just rough up a bit. ;)

And he wonders why he gets no sympathy 

20 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Where were you today?

even I was shooting stages in the teens.

Four really pretty fair stages. 16, 16, 19 and a 21

One  "aw crud" stage. 25 with a miss.

And one train wreck. 25 with a miss and a safety.

And we shot the vertical Rattler sweep today too.

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Where were you today?

The doctor who performed emergency gall bladder surgery on me last weekend said I could shoot Winter Range, but nothing before that. That’s why I started the thread asking about last minute prep with no live fire. ;)

9 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

The doctor who performed emergency gall bladder surgery on me last weekend said I could shoot Winter Range, but nothing before that. That’s why I started the thread asking about last minute prep with no live fire. ;)

Did you check to see if he made any changes to your gender???

Just wondering...

TL

9 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

You better heal fast, so I can get back to "kic'n"  you some more........^_^

OLG

17 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Did you check to see if he made any changes to your gender???

Just wondering...

TL

Dang, I didn’t think about that. I might need to change my category to Lady Duelist. I wouldn’t have to compete against Pecos Nick anymore. :lol:

11 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

Dang, I didn’t think about that. I might need to change my category to Lady Duelist. I wouldn’t have to compete against Pecos Nick anymore. :lol:

Actually-That would be 'Neutered' Duelist.......:lol:

It would be the safest category in SASS. :P

OLG

Archived