SASS Wire Forum

Bond derringer and side match question

Straight from the handbook. pre-1900 is the key for grips and guards

A Derringer is defined as an external hammer, fixed sight, breech loading or percussion ignition, small frame pre-1900 design firearm having one to four barrels up to three and one-half inches long. Derringers must be .22 caliber or larger. The Remington style over/under barrel configuration and the Sharps fourbarreled Pepperbox are typical SASS legal Derringers - .22 Magnum ammunition is not allowed.

Hope i helped

H.Wolf 

Thanks Howling wolf for the reply but I had already read the SASS Handbook but was still not totally clear so that is why I asked.

So I will asked more direct question hoping for some clarification..

1. Does the trigger guard have to be removed?  I guess yes it does since the Remington derringer does not have a trigger guard.

2.  Can the extended grip be used? I guess not because the Remington derringer did not have an extended grip. Mine came with an extend grip is why I need to know if I should buy a standard grip so I can shoot in the side events at Winter Range.

I assumed you had read them, but you never know. :) I believe your answers are correct with a no to both or at least the grip. However I am no authority, just a guy. I would allow them both because it’s a derringers so who cares but that’s just me. Not sure why no one has chimed in yet. 

H.Wolf 

I would think that the trigger guard and factory extended grip would be just fine.  That's how mine is and hadn't even given a thought to it.

But like you, I'm new to the derringer thing myself.

Hopefully PWB or someone else will chime in with more info.

Archived