SASS Wire Forum

More bloopers... Godless?

Dutch Wheeler

I have really been enjoying the western series "Godless" on Netflix, but I am bothered by one thing.

"Godless" takes place during the 1880's, yet the opening title sequence shows an Over & Under shotgun.

Am I mistaken, but wasn't it the 1930's before the Over & Under shotgun was developed?

Capture.JPG

Boss & Co., an English gunmaker, was making them in 1909. That's the earliest I can find reference to with a date.

Lots of "they were making them back then"-type comments, but no one will specify who "they" was or when "back then" was.

Buck and the Preacher. Sidney Portier was Buck, leading a wagontrain of black freedmen west. They meet up with Harry Bellafonte, a conman who used being a preacher as his gimmick.

At one point Buck is wearing a pair of cut-down over/unders as his sidearms.

MV5BNzQwZGIxZWItMTVmNi00MDZmLTgzOTctYzVh

Cartridge Over and Under shotgun designs have been around since the civil war.  This is true of America as well as Europe. They just did not become popular in the US until the 1930's

I have seen pictures of a O/U front stuffer from 1690s. I'll see if I can find it.

2 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Doesn't bother me. I was pleased to see the variety of weapons they had in the series.

Likewise. A Henry, an 1876, schofield, Merwin and Hulbert, open top, just to name a few of the guns we don't usually get to see in movies.

Merkel in Germany and Woodward in England made them early enough, but they were rare.  W.W. Greener in his book "The Gun and its Development" states that he made some but there was no real demand (my copy was the 10th edition, 1910).  They only really took off with John Browning's Superposed which began production in 1933.

There's an interesting thread over on Shotgunworld.com about a 1933 Superposed a fellow bought, and when he contacted Browning's historian (since retired) he found out it had been shipped to noted gun writer Captain Charles Askins, father of the unrepentant sinner himself.

13 hours ago, Redwood Kid said:

Likewise. A Henry, an 1876, schofield, Merwin and Hulbert, open top, just to name a few of the guns we don't usually get to see in movies.

An iron framed Henry no less.  

I also noticed in the final episode the lass firing away with the IF Henry with the follower tab against the frame for shot after shot.

Just finished the series last night (123Hulu).  Enjoyed it a lot.  A bit racey in spots, but well done over all.  Have to say the flashbacks had me a bit confused at times, thinking the series was out of sequence when opening the episode, but well done.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

It's Hollywood so........

so it's true?

Archived