SASS Wire Forum

Uberti "Safety Firing Pin" Question

Waxahachie Kid #17017 L

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

59bac387c12db_Winchester7338WCFSept2017.jpg.5df28787188813f6beb555696d255cce.jpg

We bought this Winchester 73 made in 1889 last fall for about the same price of a new Uberti or Winchester 73.  It's a hoot to shoot but it's like driving a model T compared to my new Winchester Miroku.  

Holy cow, I'd never see one in that kind of condition for less than $2K in my neck of the woods. That's a really great score.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Holy cow, I'd never see one in that kind of condition for less than $2K in my neck of the woods. That's a really great score.

I wasn't in the market for an original 1873 but couldn't pass this one up.  We were in the same shop this morning and they had another 1873 in 38WCF with a price tag over twice this one.  Only thing I could figure is  that it had a half magazine.  Maybe a rare factory special?

Howdy Again

Sometimes you can get a good deal on an old firearm if it has been refinished. This Model 1892 is the first rifle I used in CAS for about a year. Refinished at some point,  so it looked great. It's been a long time since I bought it, I think I paid something like $600 for it. 44-40, made in 1894.

model1892rifle02_zps330f362f.jpg

I will admit this 38-40 1873 made in 1886 has only been to a couple of matches. Somebody replaced the magazine at some point, and the worst thing about it is that chip out of the fore end. $1600 out the door a few years ago.

187303.jpg

Just picked up this terrific 32-20 Model 1892 last year. Somebody replaced the barrel and magazine at some point, but I don't mind. Made in 1911, $1200 out the door.

Model%201892%201911%2032-20%2002_zpsjnwd

On the subject of the New Uberti hammer safety: I spoke to a rep at Cimarron today (an Uberti importer) and they said that they have got no report from Pietta that they plan to go to the new hammer Safety.  They are still getting Pietta revolvers in with the classic four notch hammers.  Hopefully it stays that way.  The problem is some websites misprint the makers of the Cimarron revolvers.  It is best to call and confirm the model number and SKU number and UPC.

I just bought a new Taylor's Cattleman with the "Old style" 4 clicks. I have one with the new firing pin safety but I thought if something goes bad who the heck will fix it? :o They're still out there you just have to look, the gun shop where I bought it said they ordered it back in June 17. They're not too well versed in "cowboy guns" and didn't even know about the new firing pin safety. I made a couple new friends at that store!;)

Speaking of messing with Mother Nature..   I often spend time window shopping on one of the main gun auction web sites.  Today I looked at the assortment of Colt SAAs.  The least expensive was a NIB Colt Cowboy. $1295.00 no reserve, buy now $1,400.00.  The Colt Cowboy had a funky Ruger transfer bar system that apparently didn't work well and wasn't popular.   In research,  I found an artical put out by NRA on the Cowboy.  They said it would be popular with Cowboy Action Shooters.   

On 2/7/2018 at 8:26 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I just bought a new Taylor's Cattleman with the "Old style" 4 clicks. I have one with the new firing pin safety but I thought if something goes bad who the heck will fix it? :o They're still out there you just have to look, the gun shop where I bought it said they ordered it back in June 17. They're not too well versed in "cowboy guns" and didn't even know about the new firing pin safety. I made a couple new friends at that store!;)

The fact that we even have to call them "old style" makes me think of Mr. Taggart when he said, "I am depressed..."  :huh:

Decided to get one of the new ones because Uberti does do such a good job on the finishes and fitting of their revolvers, and after trying one, the one less click didn't bother me for what you do gain.  I also refuse to pay 2 grand for a gun that I can get an exact duplicate of, with the same level of quality, for a fourth the cost. All chambers being able to be used is as it always should have been. Uberti does solid work. Soon all the revolvers being imported will have this safety even the Piettas due to import laws. You can thank them. That's life. This is the perfect solution though. It is just a matter of time before there are hundreds of thousands of these and the safety is not that complicated, it is one pin. Easy for any gunsmith or even a person of average ability to work on if ever needed.  They have come a very long way.  It has fired everything I have put into it so far with no problems.  After using it, it didn't bother me at all.  It really is a rather genius design for a hammer safety that doesn't compromise the looks at all and now it is a real six shooter.  Sam Colt would have been impressed and would have definitely added it to the design, no question.  So it is less one click. Big woop. No one noticed at the range. In fact a few people asked if it was a real Colt cause it looked so nice.

20180210_131058.jpg

I took my new two Uberti Gunfighters with the new safety hammer out to the range today.  I fired 100 bullet from them (50 each) and didn’t have any problems.  I love the new larger grips and the short stroke hammers.  They are in 44-40. I used Starline brass, Federal 150 primers, my own cast lead bullet RNFP, with Promo powder.   I had a blast (pun intended) shooting and they were real close to POA.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:35 AM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Well, the reason I started this topic is I wanted to know if changing out the hammer and trigger is all I had to do to put a Cimarron/Uberti back to more of an authentic state.  If I have to do some gunsmithing on it, to get it back to a traditional revolver, then that is what I fully intend to do.  I pretty much think that because of this sue-happy world we live in now, that the manufacturers have to try and make their firearms as idiot proof as possible to keep from getting sued too many times.  Hence, at some point, we all may be using virtual firearms, instead of the real thing (good golly, don't tell Gov. Jerry Brown I said that, or it might give him ideas).  Point is, I got into C.A.S., both with S.A.S.S., and the other "step-child" organization (that will remain nameless here), to try and be as authentic as I can with the clothes, hats, boots, spurs, holsters, AND firearms, as I could.  Authenticity is my thing, and not being a "gamer" and having to win all the time.  I could care less if I "win".  This change Uberti has made, is not authentic to the Colt that was available in the old west   It was, perhaps, but no more.  If I wanted a "safety feature" I would purchase a Ruger.  If I have to buy a new Cimarron/Uberti, I WILL change it, at my own expense, and at my own peril, back to a traditional old west type revolver...liability be hanged.  Also, the issue, for me, is not how well the new design works, and how some can shoot trillions of rounds through it without a problem.  The issue for me is authenticity, and unilateral changes in the design that moves the sport farther and farther away from the original designs. 

Now...That is me, and my take on it.  If anyone likes the new design, great....go for it Willie!!!!  But include me OUT.

My Two Bits.

W.K.

The hammer and trigger is all you will need to make it function like you want it to.

Well, as normal there are a lot of opinions and preferences. That’s OK. I have a pair of Smoke Wagons in 44-40 tuned and short stroked and like them so much I decided to that I will sell my Jimmy Spurs Rugers in44-40 and pick up another pair of Ubertis. 

I just happened to be passing through Winchester, VA yesterday and stopped by Taylor’s. They only had one of the old style smoke wagons left and there will be no more. I did buy it. I did play with a few of the new models with the new hammer and trigger but decided to search for one more old style. The folks at Taylor’s are great and spent plenty of time discussing options and will be on the lookout for one more old style pistol for me. 

Archived