SASS Wire Forum

Cherry-Picking Statistics: How the Violence Policy Center Manipulates Data to Advance their Cause

Charlie T Waite

Last week, the Violence Policy Center shared their analysis of 2016 fatal injury statistics, which are released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and available for public analysis. VPC’s headline: “U.S. Gun Death Rate Jumps 17 Percent Since 2008 Supreme Court District of Columbia v. Heller Decision Affirming Right to Own a Handgun for Self-Defense.

Read More:

Charlie

Lies!!  Damned lies!!!  And statistics!!!  :angry: <_<

Sad

My statistics professor (from way back when I was in college) would put his head in his hands and cry:(

If a study cannot cite what is being compared to what with verifiable evidence over a defined (and generally accepted) period it is NOT analysis only meandering thoughts...

and those thoughts are subjective at best. What percentage are suicides? what percentage are officer involved... justified or not justified? How many are accidental? How many are homeowners defending themselves or loved ones in a lawful manner and how many are gang bangers settling a beef with another gang, expanding turf or taking over control of an area to use for drug sales?

An overall number that is used to support ones thesis is just that... an overall number. nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately this type of DRIVEL (can't use the word I would like or Allie Mo would ban me but it rhymes with full split) is what passes for scientific examination these days.

And (unfortunately)  those without any recognizable analytical skills, common sense or ability to reason as an adult are buying this garbage by the bucket full.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived