SASS Wire Forum

Flying to WR with guns - what kind of lock for gun cases?

Kit Carson, SASS 60183

My question regards what specific type of lock goes on a hard shell airline approved gun case.

Normally, locks put on luggage should be TSA locks which can be opened with a TSA key, so they can inspect your luggage without having to cut off your lock.

But with firearms, you open the case and show the contents when checking them at the counter, then lock them without letting anyone else have a key or the combo.  That does not sound like a TSA lock.

I emailed this question to Southwest but got referred back to the same webpage, so no help there. 

Anyone have specific experience in this?

thanks

Kit

I would call the airlines for an answer and follow those instructions. I would also ask them to email that answer and then print it and take it with you to the airport when you go.

Directly from the TSA as of 13 May 2016

Air Travel with Guns: Packing, Locks, Cases, and TSA Security Checks

What Kind of Gun Case and lock do I need for air travel?

According to regulations , your gun case can be integrated with a lock or you can use a case with a separate lock.  Do not use TSA approved locks for your gun case.

The entire website is highly recommended reading for anyone flying with firearms.

Be highly aware of cities you will be making connecting flights through. More than one poor traveller has come afoul of gun laws in cities they were forced to over night in due to a missed or cancelled connecting flight.

This fellow spent 10 days in jail because of a cancelled flight and the airline mishandling his luggage.

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court

I found this update

SCOTUS denied the petition, so they won't be hearing the case.

The Third Circuit's opinion can be read here (http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/092029p.pdf). The gist is that Revell sued the Ports Authority and one of its police officers under the federal Firearm Owners’ Protection Act ("FOPA"), which allows gun owners licensed in one state to carry firearms through another state under certain circumstances. Among these circumstances is that the owner of the gun does not have ready access to the gun while in transit. The Third Circuit ruled that when he took his luggage (including the gun) with him to the hotel, he had ready access to it, so he did not meet the requirements of FOPA. The court stated:

Although we conclude that Revell fell outside of [FOPA's] protection during his stay in New Jersey, we recognize that he had been placed in a difficult predicament through no fault of his own. However, [FOPA] clearly requires the traveler to part ways with his weapon and ammunition during travel; it does not address this type of interrupted journey or what the traveler is to do in this situation. Stranded gun owners like Revell have the option of going to law enforcement representatives at an airport or to airport personnel before they retrieve their luggage. The careful owner will do so and explain his situation, requesting that his firearm and ammunition be held for him overnight. While this no doubt adds to the inconvenience imposed upon the unfortunate traveler when his transportation plans go awry, it offers a reasonable means for a responsible gun owner to maintain the protection of [FOPA] and prevent unexpected exposure to state and local gun regulations.
(Slip op. (http://www.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/092029p.pdf) pp. 21-22)

The whole point is to have locks TSA cannot open; I personally like combination locks so I don't have a key to lose.

Have a copy of the TSA and the airlines requirements in your hand at checking.

Also-Stencil you last name in bright letters on the case(s). Baggage thieves hate that.;)

Non-TSA locks go on gun cases these days for air-travel.

I also suggest you carry a list of make, model and serial number of each firearm.

OLG

I would call the airlines for an answer and follow those instructions. I would also ask them to email that answer and then print it and take it with you to the airport when you go.

I agree with  Pat and here's the reasons why:

* I have flown many times with firearms within CONUS - Canada and International to Europe

* Have experienced several methods that the case with firearms has been checked:

**  Opened the case in front of the counter - listened to ladies scream - Guns and then locked the case and gave it to the counter clerk who tagged and put it on the belt

**  Gun case and me went behind the counter to to a room - opened the case - checked, locked and put on the belt

**  Declared the guns at the counter- TSA called and checked them - locked and put on luggage belt

**  Declared the guns  with unlocked case - sent it to TSA with me - checked & locked

And here are the 'TSA' gun checkers at Manchester Airport in London England, locked  and loaded ...

HeavyDutyGunCheckers.jpg

Hi Kit.  I flew last year with guns for the first time.  Went to Cabelas and bought the case, and right by the gun cases were a bunch of TSA-approved locks for sale (no regular padlocks or combo locks).  So I assumed Cabelas knew what they were doing and bought them.  Took them back for a refund when I found out that gun cases should have non-TSA-approved locks.  It did take a lot of reading online to figure that out.  And yeah, the ticket counter agents at both ends of the flights were fairly clueless about what they were supposed to check or do (LOTS of stories about that out there if you look).

Excerp from the TSA link privided by John Boy

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

• Firearms must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided container and transported as checked baggage only. As defined by 49 CFR 1540.5 a loaded firearm has a live round of ammunition, or any component thereof, in the chamber or cylinder or in a magazine inserted in the firearm. Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations.

However !  If the airport does not have a secure area for both passenger and TSA Agent  to view the contents of the unlocked firearm case (subsequent it being inspected by the Airline personnel and locked),  the passenger will have to surrender the keys to the TSA Agent for such inspection to occur without the passenger present.    While this seems contrary to the Rules as published,  there is a subsection of the Rules which allows such TSA only inspection.

A TSA Agent will not show you the Regulation.  He/she will just ask for the keys.   This happened to me two years ago in the Las Vegas airport.   My insistence with refusing to surrender the keys almost got me arrested.   A TSA Supervisor assured me there was such a provision.   As I recall, my congressman was able to get the TSA to email me a copy of that provision.     I could not find it on the internet.    

Kit Carson, I am driving that way.  Here is an option.  I can stop by your location and pack in your ammo and guns and leather in my truck.

Just an option.

Oklahoma Dee

4 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Kit Carson, I am driving that way.  Here is an option.  I can stop by your location and pack in your ammo and guns and leather in my truck.

Just an option.

Oklahoma Dee

THERE'S some Cowboy Way in action! :wub:

5 hours ago, Oklahoma Dee said:

Just an option.

Oklahoma Dee

Hey Kit,

Do this  and  you  bound  to  have  a  better  experience  with OD  than the  last  time  you  tried  it going  to  EOT.:P

CS  

Archived