SASS Wire Forum

Why have a generator....

Tucker McNeely

Why have a generator when you go to dry camp and the venue won’t let you run it at night when it’s hot and you want ac?

How many people that have a generator for their camper enjoy having to turn it off at night?  I don’t get it, what say you?

Listening to someone’s generator run all night long isn’t much fun.

You are so right there is nothing worse than some ignorant fool running a cheap noisy generator all night like he is the only one that exists

Generator noise is one of the reasons I probably won't tent camp any longer.

The other thing I've noticed is there isn't much socializing outside the camper/RVs. After a match last year I found it impossible to carry on a conversation under the awning of one because the one parked next door was making so much noise. Inside it's relatively quiet, but few can congregate. Outside it sounds like a construction zone.

I was a park ranger. Don’t like campgrounds much.

Tent area vs rv area....should seem pretty easy to do...I can understand if a range doesn’t have the cash to set up electricity...but should let people that come prepared be able to sleep in comfort...that’s kind of the reason to buy an rv for the weekend shoots...I agree that some generators can be crazy loud....Butterfield Gulch has the best out door setup and Gunsmoke has the best indoor setup I’ve seen for after hours get togethers.

Venues should have rv areas and tent areas like Butterfield Gulch and Free State Rangers have.

8 hours ago, Tucker McNeely said:

Tent area vs rv area....should seem pretty easy to do...I can understand if a range doesn’t have the cash to set up electricity...but should let people that come prepared be able to sleep in comfort...that’s kind of the reason to buy an rv for the weekend shoots...I agree that some generators can be crazy loud....Butterfield Gulch has the best out door setup and Gunsmoke has the best indoor setup I’ve seen for after hours get togethers.

Venues should have rv areas and tent areas like Butterfield Gulch and Free State Rangers have.

I stay in an RV also and don’t run my generator all night. I like the windows open and don’t want to hear generators running. All clubs I’ve stayed at have a set time to kill the generators and it’s a GREAT idea. Stay in an RV park if you want your air conditioner. I don’t want to listen to your generator.

I don't camp in campgrounds much-

I'm camp'n to get AWAY from people.

Most camp grounds have their own 'juice' and you don't need your genny.

Many genny's made today are super quite. Honda is about the best at this.

Check the campground rules, before hand--

OLG

Hey Tucker,

Don't you have anything else to complain about?:lol:

Seriously, I usually dry camp in the spring or fall, when I don't need AC. When I dry camp, I run a small generator for maybe an hour or two in the middle of the day, just to keep the batteries charged. I never run it at night. The rest of the time I try to camp where I have hook ups.

You going to Land Run this year? 

Irish Tom

Camping at big events? Been there, done that. When it comes to going to events of any kind where camping is available I camp at Best Western, Travelodge, Motel 6...

I like people...I do not like people at campgrounds and they won’t like me so I do us all a favor and not camp there. :D

Well, I like some people...:P

Tucker has a point in not everyone is a “rough it” type camper. Folks with a lot of years or health issues may ned certain amenities in order to get a good nights sleep. So I can’t beat him up on that.

But the reality is most clubs are not set up to handle separate camping areas. When you only need camping for one or two events a year and have limited space it’s just not possible., and electric hookups are generally an expense only commercial campgrounds can handle. 

I know from experience that most campground complaints were from people who were kept awake by generators rather than those who were asked to turn them off.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I don't camp in campgrounds much-

I'm camp'n to get AWAY from people.

Most camp grounds have their own 'juice' and you don't need your genny.

Many genny's made today are super quite. Honda is about the best at this.

Check the campground rules, before hand--

OLG

I think he’s talking about campgrounds at the range where the matches are held. Very few if any have electric service adequate to handle everyone’s RV air conditioner. Most of the range campgrounds that I’ve camped at utilize a big open field or parking area and there is no electricity. 

24 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I think he’s talking about campgrounds at the range where the matches are held. Very few if any have electric service adequate to handle everyone’s RV air conditioner. Most of the range campgrounds that I’ve camped at utilize a big open field or parking area and there is no electricity. 

Even then, all one has to do is ask a couple of questions ahead of time.

Gennys OFF at 10pm, is SOP and courteous.

OLG

2 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

How am I gonna run my espresso machine without a generator? :D

Bring it to my camper. I've got a generator!

15 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

You are so right there is nothing worse than some ignorant fool running a cheap noisy generator all night like he is the only one that exists

Got that right!!! I go to wilderness areas to get away from that garbage. If its so hot sleep outside. We do.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Bring it to my camper. I've got a generator!

Actually, I’ve got three of those critters, and a twin kit... :D

MY wife use's a bipap and oxygen concentrater  with out them she's in trouble, When she's along I generally try to get into an RV park but at some shoots that's hard to do. I try to park away from other campers and warn the ones that park near me that I will be running a generator,  I have a Honda 3000  which is pretty quiet to start with and I've found with it in the truck bed the sound is really baffled,  I try to be courteous and so far  haven't had any complaints.

9 hours ago, Irish Tom said:

Hey Tucker,

Don't you have anything else to complain about?:lol:

Seriously, I usually dry camp in the spring or fall, when I don't need AC. When I dry camp, I run a small generator for maybe an hour or two in the middle of the day, just to keep the batteries charged. I never run it at night. The rest of the time I try to camp where I have hook ups.

You going to Land Run this year? 

Irish Tom

Hello Tom,  No land run for me this year.  Vacation hours going to Stirrup Trouble for the NE State Shoot the weekend before land run.  He is bustin’ his hump to put on a good show.  I want to show support for NE for a change. 

But yea, after several years of AC not being an option, I’ll get AC when I can to go along with the comfy bed.  :D

And if if people really want my generator off they have to talk to Ali McNeely.:angry:

10-10:30 PM is the cut off line for me using my generators. I try to park away from other campers and keep my (2) Honda 2000's at the back of my trailer. I set them up with the exhaust outlets pointed straight out from the back, instead of by the side of it. Less noisy that way. But those 2000's aren't all that noisy.

Most of the time in campgrounds it's the people partying with a loud a$$ "boom box" blaring while they suck down the suds and talk and yell like everyone's deaf. I seldom see that behavior at a SASS shoot.

Guest Grass Range #51406

Hunting in a fairly remote area but still in driveable terrain another camper ran his gen until 2 AM. Somehow water got into his gas tank and it would not run after that.

Sailing in the BVI.  No A/C.  Quiet, secluded anchorage.  Warm night, but sleeping on the trampoline and catching the faint breeze.

Mega sportfisherman out of Puerto Rico pulls in.  Decides the best spot to drop the hook is about 50' off my starboard hull.  Spotlights flood the cockpit.  Rock music floods the anchorage.  All the hatches and ports are closed; the A/C is on, and the generator is running full bore.  All night.

About 3 AM I pull the hook, and move on looking for a quieter spot.

Some folks need their conveniences.

LL

7 hours ago, Grass Range #51406 said:

Hunting in a fairly remote area but still in driveable terrain another camper ran his gen until 2 AM. Somehow water got into his gas tank and it would not run after that.

Those oil drain plugs have a nasty habit of vibrating out

Archived