SASS Wire Forum

mad deer disease or zombie deer

Red Cent

"For now, some experts recommend that hunters who harvest deer and elk in affected areas get a sample of their kill tested before grilling up any venison steaks. If the test comes back positive, they recommend discarding the meat."

Cooking the meat doesn't remove the proteins. According to the local wildlife biologist types, the CWD protein is in the brain and spinal fluids.

They have told us to not eat the brain, or breach the spine when cleaning the animal. After a hunter harvests a deer, has it processed, and is told the animal tests positive after a couple weeks of waiting for test results, then discarding the meat, it pretty much ruins ones desire to hunt deer again. Most folks around here don't even take the animals in for testing, they just eat the meat like they have for years. Lack of predators and too many animals in a concentrated area is the primary cause of the spread of CWD. However, no one wants to deal with grizzly bears and wolves, but CWD is okay. :o

Antelope do not carry CWD. The protein has been injected directly into their brains and spines with no sign of the disease. 

Antelope is pretty good. Very different taste and texture. I have not pulled the trigger on an animal for 20 years. However, I do love my prime rib, pork cops, city ham, filet, sirloin, strip.........................................................

So far as I know, bison is not subject to CWD, although it could have mad cow disease. Except there have been no cases of it in North American bison herds.  I would imagine that grocery chains such as Krogers/King Soopers would check their bison sources pretty carefully, as the liability would be humongous!  I haven't hunted for years now, and don't particularly care for venison or elk anyway.  There are also too many nutcases out in the woods and mountains these days!  The results of eating a CWD infected animal are Croitfield-Jacobs disease, which is like a rapid case of Altzheimers!  I wouldn't even trust the tests! :o

13 hours ago, Red Cent said:

Antelope is pretty good. Very different taste and texture. I have not pulled the trigger on an animal for 20 years. However, I do love my prime rib, pork cops, city ham, filet, sirloin, strip.........................................................

I do all my hunting these days in the meat sections of Kroger's

As a precaution, the World Health Organization recommends against allowing any meat source that may have come from a CWD-infected animal into the human food system. Scientific evidence suggests that it is unlikely that CWD can be passed to domestic cattle or bison under natural conditions.Jun 12, 2017

I just looked this up on Google.

As for venison, I've eaten so much over the years I can't stand the taste anymore. Antelope are very good eating and Elk is right behind Bison for my favorite "wild game". Best choice is a good beef steak; but that's getting hard to find. OUR beef is being exported and we're getting beef from who the h&ll knows where from. Last steak I had you could still see the marks from the jockey beating on it.

CWD showed up in the area where I hunt.  kinda scary stuff.  As was mentioned, cooking it does no good.  Those left handed prions, or whatever they call it, can't simply be killed with heat.  They don't think it can pass to humans, but there is a human disease that's very similar (jakob cruetsfelt) and I don't think they've studied it enough to allay my fears that eatign CWD or mad cow meat doesn't cause JCD.  The bright side of hunting in an area where it was found is that I get all my deer meat tested for free.  It's a very low possibility that it will come back positive, and if it does, I plan to toss the meat and the cooler it's being kept in. 

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

CWD showed up in the area where I hunt.  kinda scary stuff.  As was mentioned, cooking it does no good.  Those left handed prions, or whatever they call it, can't simply be killed with heat.  They don't think it can pass to humans, but there is a human disease that's very similar (jakob cruetsfelt) and I don't think they've studied it enough to allay my fears that eatign CWD or mad cow meat doesn't cause JCD.  The bright side of hunting in an area where it was found is that I get all my deer meat tested for free.  It's a very low possibility that it will come back positive, and if it does, I plan to toss the meat and the cooler it's being kept in. 

The Fish and Game here held a special deer hunt for both Mule and Whitetail deer to have tested for CWD. It was spotty where it was found, and not in any great quantity. The deer taken HAD to be tested at set up stations. If found to have it the deer was kept for further testing and the hunter could get another tag. If I remember, I think it was about a 20-30% that had CWD. It was found mostly in the SE area of Montana and some of the North Central that the tags were issued for. Those were primarily where the dead deer from CWD were being found in. I think it's still going on for another week or two.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Wow.  The stuff I read said that even in herds where CWD had been preset for years, the infection rates were like 6%.

For the most part it is less. Some areas are having a real problem. Several years back there were close to 60-70% cases that came close to wiping out entire herds.

My work associates Dad has an agreement with the local Wildlife ranger. he goes out in the fall and collects road kill deer that are still fresh. he gets to keep the meat, but turns in the heads for testing. he does this until the rut  kicks in. my associate and his Dad haven't bought beef for years now:blush:

Archived