SASS Wire Forum

Do I dare?

I understand that a lot of folks are disappointed/angry/peeved/disaffected by the shenanigans during the Anthem at NFL games; some have even stopped watching, or advocated boycotts.  Many have switched their loyalties to college ball or even HS teams.

But up in this part of the country, college football is not a big deal, and loyalties to the Patriots run deep.  So I cannot resist.

One game to go.  Third trip to the Super Bowl in the last four years.  Super Bowl trophy #6 within reach.  TB12 - the GOAT!  

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.....:lol:

Be happy for some folks having a good time!!

LL

I do admire the machine that Brady and Belichek have assembled. Excellence must be respected wherever it occurs. 

I was was really hoping for a Minnesota win. I can’t stand the Philadelphia fans and how they embrace their rudeness to others. 

I suppose ill I’ll cheer for the Patriots, if I watch the game at all. 

Just now, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I do admire the machine that Brady and Belichek have assembled. Excellence must be respected wherever it occurs. 

I was was really hoping for a Minnesota win. I can’t stand the Philadelphia fans and how they embrace their rudeness to others. 

I suppose ill I’ll cheer for the Patriots, if I watch the game at all. 

Excellent!!!

Enjoy the game...win or lose!!

LL

I haven't watched the NFL regularly in years. Nothing to do with the National Anthem or anything else. It has just grown boring and homogenous to me. The same with the NBA, which I used to enjoy.

No, I've never been a fan of New England, either, I must admit. Do they win? Sure. Is Brady the "GOAT?" Maybe, I don't know. I wonder what would've happened had Elway been under someone other than Reeves for most of his career. I can list many others who didn't have the team or the coach. One can't argue with the word "dynasty," though. I think that is a given.

I think most people who dislike New England do so because there seems to be a smug arrogance about them that turns them off. Not the fun, yet aggressive cockiness of, say, an '85 Bears. Just my opinion.

I don't know if I will watch the game or not. Probably not. I haven't the past few seasons. If I do watch, I won't be rooting for one team over the other, unless I see something in the play or the officiating that sways me. I have good friends that are Philadelphia fans, and as much as I love them, like Charley, they make it hard for me to get behind the team.

I only watch the Superbowl for the commercials.... I'm with DocWard. I used to watch but grew tired of it. I really lost my taste for all spectator sports. I much prefer things I can participate in.

That said, I'm definitely in the "People wanting to see New England lose" crowd. They just irk me and I want to see their over-inflated ego popped. I was so excited at the last game until the fourth. Also really don't like that Brady fellow. He's very grating.

Doc:

Yeah, we get the "smugness" charge a lot.

The fact is that the Coach requires players (and himself) to be circumspect in their public remarks, which sometimes comes across as smugness.  But you won't hear these guys brag, or predict victories, or claim superiority.  Even Brady keeps a pretty low-key public persona.

I'm just looking forward to a great game.

LL

4 minutes ago, Dorado said:

I only watch the Superbowl for the commercials.... I'm with DocWard. I used to watch but grew tired of it. I really lost my taste for all spectator sports. I much prefer things I can participate in.

That said, I'm definitely in the "People wanting to see New England lose" crowd. They just irk me and I want to see their over-inflated ego popped. I was so excited at the last game until the fourth. Also really don't like that Brady fellow. He's very grating.

Well, we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Egos are only "over-inflated" (please...no Deflategate jokes) if you can't back them up; I don't think you can point at any bragging or egotistical claims by the Pats that they have not been able to back up with performance on the field.  In fact, it is rare to hear any bragging from any of them - that's part of the "Patriot Way - make your presence known by performance on the field, not via a big mouth in front of cameras pre-game.

The fact is that a lot of folks get tired of seeing their local teams fall to the mechanized attack of Brady and his receivers; and I understand that.  After awhile, it seems like no one else will ever have a chance.  But it is just a matter of time; Belichick found a way to flourish despite salary caps and league "parity"; someone else will certainly copy it, or find their own path.  And despite the exuberance of the press, Brady is not immortal, and will have to hang up the cleats soon. 

In the meantime, Sundays are great fun for folks in New England.

Remember, it's just a game.  It doesn't make us better than you; it's just more fun for us right now.  And also remember that we sat in the rain and snow for umpteen years before the Brady/Belichick era, watching hapless quarterbacks and hopeless "receivers" stumble and bumble their way toward defeat year...after year...after year.  The happiest day in my football life was watching Drew Bledsoe ("Mr. Feet-of-Clay") carted off the field, making way for Brady.

Enjoy the game for what it is!!!

LL

5 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Doc:

Yeah, we get the "smugness" charge a lot.

The fact is that the Coach requires players (and himself) to be circumspect in their public remarks, which sometimes comes across as smugness.  But you won't hear these guys brag, or predict victories, or claim superiority.  Even Brady keeps a pretty low-key public persona.

I'm just looking forward to a great game.

LL

Sounds like the same reasons why folks call players and coaches at Alabama "smug".  Nick Saban has the team under tight discipline.  No running their mouths.  No giving the other team bulletin board material.

Oh, and they win and win and win with clock-like precision.

Like I said, you gotta respect excellence wherever it happens.

But I do wish the NFL could field a team like the '85 Bears.  Da Bears!  They were a great group, and had fun with each other and their fans while being great.

And since the '85 Bears have been mentioned twice, it's time for this blast from the past:

4 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Sounds like the same reasons why folks call players and coaches at Alabama "smug".  Nick Saban has the team under tight discipline.  No running their mouths.  No giving the other team bulletin board material.

Oh, and they win and win and win with clock-like precision.

Like I said, you gotta respect excellence wherever it happens.

But I do wish the NFL could field a team like the '85 Bears.  Da Bears!  They were a great group, and had fun with each other and their fans while being great.

And since the '85 Bears have been mentioned twice, it's time for this blast from the past:

Argh!!!

Did you HAVE to put them up on the screen??????

1985 was a GREAT football year; the Pats were the "Cinderella" team that year.  A group of friends and I rotated among our houses, watching the Pats beat team after team, with a seemingly endless chain of stripped balls, interceptions and turn-overs.  

The rotation put us all at my house on Super Bowl Sunday.  We went all out, with Bear Ribs (spareribs) on the menu and a huge (for 1985) TV.

And it was all over in 15 minutes.

I still gag whenever I hear the name "Refrigerator" Perry.

Well, you win some and you lose some.   But I think that the age of colorful, wild, uninhibited teams and players is over.  Given the restrictions imposed by the league and the realization that wildness can lead to unpredictable behavior and public disdain, football has become a carefully structured and precisely executed endeavor.  At least WINNING football has.  You might make it for one season, but it cannot be sustained.  

LL

11 minutes ago, Bubba Bear, SASS #26793L said:

Yo Loophole,

Don't count on that 6th trophy just yet.

GO BIRDS

FLY EAGLES FLY

I hear ya, Bubba....I grew up in Bucks County, and rooted as a kid for the Eagles; but they never returned the love, and when I moved to MA, I swung over to the Pats.

I don't count my chickens before they hatch.  But as was famously attributed to Bill Belichick, when he saw worry in his team's eyes in the locker room before last year's Super Bowl...."Hell, guys...if you're worried, how do you think THEY must feel?"

Enjoy the game!

LL

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Argh!!!

Did you HAVE to put them up on the screen??????

1985 was a GREAT football year; the Pats were the "Cinderella" team that year.  A group of friends and I rotated among our houses, watching the Pats beat team after team, with a seemingly endless chain of stripped balls, interceptions and turn-overs.  

The rotation put us all at my house on Super Bowl Sunday.  We went all out, with Bear Ribs (spareribs) on the menu and a huge (for 1985) TV.

And it was all over in 15 minutes.

I still gag whenever I hear the name "Refrigerator" Perry.

Well, you win some and you lose some.   But I think that the age of colorful, wild, uninhibited teams and players is over.  Given the restrictions imposed by the league and the realization that wildness can lead to unpredictable behavior and public disdain, football has become a carefully structured and precisely executed endeavor.  At least WINNING football has.  You might make it for one season, but it cannot be sustained.  

LL

It's funny, because I've never been much of a gambler, but a friend was so excited about the Patriots, he offered to bet me twenty bucks (big money right out of high school) that New England would win. I couldn't agree fast enough. I had no doubt, so I didn't even consider it a gamble.

The only thing I hated about that game was Walter not getting a touchdown. Still bitter toward Ditka after all these years.

14 minutes ago, DocWard said:

It's funny, because I've never been much of a gambler, but a friend was so excited about the Patriots, he offered to bet me twenty bucks (big money right out of high school) that New England would win. I couldn't agree fast enough. I had no doubt, so I didn't even consider it a gamble.

The only thing I hated about that game was Walter not getting a touchdown. Still bitter toward Ditka after all these years.

I always felt a little bad about Walter Payton not getting a chance for the touchdown.  But to hear his side of the story, the Patriots were keying on him so hard that it opened up opportunities for other players to score.

25 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

I always felt a little bad about Walter Payton not getting a chance for the touchdown.  But to hear his side of the story, the Patriots were keying on him so hard that it opened up opportunities for other players to score.

That was part of Ditka's game plan, and the game footage shows exactly that. If Walter went a direction, typically no less than three Patriots went along. But still, it seems Perry could have blasted one heckuva big hole for Payton, instead of running it in himself.

3 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

Sometimes you have to make a stand in thing you believe, and weakness is not an option.  Even though the team that represents our town, and being a former ticket holder. I made a commitment, good or bad to stand for these convictions.  MT

I agree completely. I will not support these spoiled anti police anti American thugs in any way.

4 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Yell as loud as you want, UB.....space is a vacuum, and no one will hear!  ;)

LL

I have been yelling at the Pats since The Snowplow game. :P

5 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

2157889318001_4401349136001_snow-plow-1024x576.jpg

Heh, heh, heh.......check the Rulebook...ain't nothing illegal!!!!

LL

Illegal? No. Illegal ain’t got nuttin to do with it.

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I was just going to post about that. Here is the letter from AMVETS. That made my mind up for me. I won't be watching because regardless of what I might think of the players or teams, it appears the organization as a whole only values the military as a way of making them a dollar.

27331607_1764199360311429_594361222719756907_n.thumb.jpg.5cec6b3e4ec179ed286095f7657036aa.jpg

I should add that according to Stars and Stripes, the NFL did allow the VFW add which has the more innocuous "We Stand for Veterans."

On 1/22/2018 at 9:47 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I understand that a lot of folks are disappointed/angry/peeved/disaffected by the shenanigans during the Anthem at NFL games; some have even stopped watching, or advocated boycotts.  Many have switched their loyalties to college ball or even HS teams.

But up in this part of the country, college football is not a big deal, and loyalties to the Patriots run deep.  So I cannot resist.

One game to go.  Third trip to the Super Bowl in the last four years.  Super Bowl trophy #6 within reach.  TB12 - the GOAT!  

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.....:lol:

Be happy for some folks having a good time!!

LL

My son is a huge football fan and while he's disgusted by the whole "kneeling" thing he feels he shouldn't deprive himself of a game he loves because of a few morons! I agree with him 100% and I'll be watching the SB with him, I don't care who wins I just want to see a good game!;)

Mike Rowe says it best, and why I won't watch after being a NFL fan for decades. I may not make a difference in not watching or supporting. Respect for our flag and what it stands for, and remembering those that gave their all for it, are reasoning enough to not support the game, nor the players.  Not watching and turning the games off, is a small price to pay, compared to what has been paid in the past and still to keep it flying.  MT

Well enough, stepping off my soapbox.

Archived