SASS Wire Forum

MICHIGAN - 'no guns allowed' notification

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

Don't know how it works in your state, but here is Michigan's version. I know some will say 'what they don't know won't hurt them'. If that is what you want to do - fine - just remember that IF you get in some sort of ruckus with these 'no guns on my d&^% property or business' folks it does affect the CPL community. They have a right to run their business as they see fit...even if we see it as stupid and intruding on our right. 

From MCRGO:

Q: Is there a specific design for the no gun allowed sign? Does the law say where it has to be placed at a business, such as on the door or adjacent window leading into the business?

A: There are no specifications for "No Guns" or "No Weapons" signs in Michigan law. Under the law, there are two ways for a CPL holder to know that guns are not allowed in a specific location. The first is the list of Pistol Free Zones (often colloquially referred to as violent criminal empowerment zones)  - https://mcrgo.org/places-to-avoid-while-armed/ -  that we must all memorize, which is part of the CPL statute.

The second is when the owner or lessor of any real property communicates to us that our guns are not welcome there. That communication must be reasonable in order to be effective. By reasonable, I don't mean polite. I mean that there is an effective means of communicating to us that we are not welcome so long as we are carrying our guns. This can be done with a sign, verbally, or in some kind of printed material.

For instance, if there is a reasonably-sized and located sign in a retail establishment indicating that guns or weapons are not allowed, that would constitute reasonable notice. If an employee of the same establishment actually tells you that you may not carry on the premises, that would constitute reasonable notice. If your employer has an employee handbook or some kind of printed guidelines, and includes a prohibition on guns and/or weapons, that would constitute reasonable notice.

If you choose to ignore any such reasonable notice, then you become a trespasser rather than a business invitee. Trespass can be punished as a crime and/or in civil court, and could affect your CPL licensing status.

Steve Dulan (www.StevenWDulan.com) is a member of the Board of Directors of the MCRGO and the MCRGO Foundation, and a member of the Board of Trustees of the MCRGO Foundation. He is an attorney in private practice in East Lansing and Adjunct Professor of firearms law at The Thomas M. Cooley Law School. as well as an Endowment Member of the NRA.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

One positive about Texas is the statute spells out the size of the lettering, exact verbiage (English and Spanish), and location for places that are allowed to ban concealed carry, open carry, or both. In addition to the signs it can be done verbally or handed out in a flyer, pamphlet, or other printed media. 

And as you pointed out it hurts our cause to get into an argument because you will be the one that gets arrested every time.

Oddly enough banning concealed carry does not ban open carry. You are required to post each separately.

• 3 weeks later...

The best way to deal with these businesses is to call them & ask to speak to the manager.  Then politely explain to them that you are disappointed that you can't patronize them; because, you carry.

If their sign says "NO WEAPONS" then the place better be empty. Anything and everything can be a "WEAPON" depending on how it is used!!!! 

"NO WEAPONS" signs make me realize just how stupid some of our citizens have become.

18 hours ago, Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804 said:

If their sign says "NO WEAPONS" then the place better be empty. Anything and everything can be a "WEAPON" depending on how it is used!!!! 

"NO WEAPONS" signs make me realize just how stupid some many of our citizens have become.

There. I fixed it fer ya.

;)

Archived