SASS Wire Forum

Long range pistol

John Lee

It might vary from venue to venue - at Fall Round-Up we set a 24" square target at 50 yards. FWIW, we do ten rounds, scored by number of hits, time used as  a tie-breaker.

CS

We all have our own ideas about what constitutes "Long Range". Those of us who also shoot NRA bullseye do so at a 5" "X" ring at 50 yards. I regularly shoot my hunting revolver, a S&W .44 Magnum, at 100yards.  I also do that with my OM Ruger Vaqueros. Others  feel that 15 t0 50 yards at giant steel targets is "Long Range". 

IMHO, non pistoleers find 25 feet at 15" targets to be quite a challenge. Since we shoot SASS for fun rather than for an "extreme" challenging event, I recommend the foregoing range and target size for most pards and pardettes.

We use a 16 inch square at 75 yards. Regular match pistols, 32, 38, 44 ,45, etc. 

We also offer long range pocket pistol and derringer, 16 inch plate at 25 Yards.

I have shot at a 16 inch square at 50 yards at one club and the next time it was 75 yards at the same club.  There is only one club that I shoot at that even does the pistol long range, most just do the rifle.

2 hours ago, Randingo said:

What type of pistol/caliber/barrel length do you all use for these matches? 

I prefer Ruger New Model Blackhawks with 6 1/2 inch barrels.  I was shooting 44 Magnums, but just procured a set of 357 Magnums.

10 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

We all have our own ideas about what constitutes "Long Range". Those of us who also shoot NRA bullseye do so at a 5" "X" ring at 50 yards. I regularly shoot my hunting revolver, a S&W .44 Magnum, at 100yards.  I also do that with my OM Ruger Vaqueros. Others  feel that 15 t0 50 yards at giant steel targets is "Long Range". 

IMHO, non pistoleers find 25 feet at 15" targets to be quite a challenge. Since we shoot SASS for fun rather than for an "extreme" challenging event, I recommend the foregoing range and target size for most pards and pardettes.

I quit shooting Bullseye in 2005 when I started Shooting Cowboy. Have they changed the targets since then? X- ring used to be 1.7” I thought. 

At our range they shoot Cowboy shaped targets (5) from 35 to 50 yards. You Shoot from largest ( close) to smallest (far). You shoot it twice (10 shots) and each has a different point value. Highest point value wins. If more than one shooter shoots the 2 strings clean they’re in the shoot off and shoot another string. So far that’s all it’s taken to decide the winner. 

Randy

2 hours ago, Randingo said:

What type of pistol/caliber/barrel length do you all use for these matches? 

I won at the 2017 Tennessee State Match shooting 5.5” Ruger Vaquero Bisleys with 158 gr. 38 Special.  

At Black Gold in 2015 with 4 5/8” Vaqueros.  2016 with the Bisleys I think. 

Randy

20 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

for me long range pistol means targets past 3 yards and smaller than 2 yards, square :D

Here kitty, kitty.

Went to the range and shot at 50 yards with my Vaqueros(38sp).  To achieve center mass hits, I held approximately 4 inches above the plate.  Was shooting a 105 gr at 800fps.  

Do you all use your match guns or have a separate one for long range?   Would bumping up the bullet weight and velocity would help?  

37 minutes ago, Randingo said:

Went to the range and shot at 50 yards with my Vaqueros(38sp).  To achieve center mass hits, I held approximately 4 inches above the plate.  Was shooting a 105 gr at 800fps.  

Do you all use your match guns or have a separate one for long range?   Would bumping up the bullet weight and velocity would help?  

I use my match guns but most I've shot against were using adjustable sight Blackhawks.  I've had better results with 158 gr. I'll pm my load.

Randy

48 minutes ago, Randingo said:

Sent you a PM.

Randy

You have to use guns that could be used in a match or match legal.  I use Black Hawks, but for the real match, I use Vaqueros.

18 hours ago, Lone Rider, SASS# 73063 said:

You have to use guns that could be used in a match or match legal.  I use Black Hawks, but for the real match, I use Vaqueros.

I shoot Senior Duelist so Blackhawks are not legal for me in the Main Match, they were a few years ago.

Randy

I use .45 Colt OM Ruger Vaqueros as my main match guns. I always shoot .44 S&W Magnum OM Ruger Vaqueros for long range pistol side matches.

I usually use Holy Black but sometimes shoot smokeless for long range events.

We used to shoot ~75 yards on a plate maybe 16" - 18" square. It eventually evolved into a fairly short range speed match, so I quit shooting it.

Would be nice to see more of these types of matches at local events.  Shooting skill used to be about accuracy.  

Assassin you what me to shoot a pistol out to 75 yard I can't see that fare. Or was it could not  any thing at that distance.

I like to shoot my 6" Ruger OM .45 Colt Vaquero and my S&W .44 S&W Magnum revolver at 100 yards on my private range. I do one H of a lot better with my  S&W. You need practice with both but especially with the Ruger. It takes quite awhile to determine how to consistently get low enough on the front sight to hit. I am sorry to admit that I use two hands to shoot at distances over 50 yards. I love to shoot paper, soda pop cans, etc.   :-) 

I am not looking forward to my eyes getting worse. They are already making it hard for me to see BPCR targets!!!   :-(  I plan to shoot as long as I can see anything!!!   :-)

IMHO, timing the side matches is an abomination. Accuracy is what counts.

FWIW, I hunt neither elk nor deer at long ranges.

Generally, using a timer for the long range side matches is to break a tie. How else are you going to do it? Shooters aren't  all there at the same time, instead randomly showing up during the hours set for each side match.  If a shooter is the only one to get a perfect score he would win with a slower time. 

Archived