SASS Wire Forum

Secure truck bed storage

Chief Rick

TruckVault, Decked, something else???

I'd like something in the bed of the truck to secure the guns completely out of sight when travelling.  The truck will have a cap (if it ever gets delivered) and has a locking tailgate.

The Decked unit - ~$1,300 delivered to the house - is made of HDPE.  Can't tell by pictures how rigid the drawers are but the literature says they are rated to 200 lbs each.

TruckVault - ~$3000 delivered to the house - is made of fancy plywood.  Quality unit by all accounts - but very spendy.  I can't justify this purchase in the near future and would have a hard time rationalizing the purchase anyways.

Looking at building my own, I'm struggling finding appropriate drawer slides or bearings that can support a 48-inch long by 22-inch wide wooden drawer containing guns/ammo.

9 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

TruckVault, Decked, something else???

I'd like something in the bed of the truck to secure the guns completely out of sight when travelling.  The truck will have a cap (if it ever gets delivered) and has a locking tailgate.

The Decked unit - ~$1,300 delivered to the house - is made of HDPE.  Can't tell by pictures how rigid the drawers are but the literature says they are rated to 200 lbs each.

TruckVault - ~$3000 delivered to the house - is made of fancy plywood.  Quality unit by all accounts - but very spendy.  I can't justify this purchase in the near future and would have a hard time rationalizing the purchase anyways.

Looking at building my own, I'm struggling finding appropriate drawer slides or bearings that can support a 48-inch long by 22-inch wide wooden drawer containing guns/ammo.

Here are some that I’ve built. The drawer slides are rated at 500lbs and are full extension ball bearing. The locks are very high security and even though it’s built out of oak and Baltic birch plywood there are some proprietary, unseen features that greatly inhibit a thief’s ability to get into it. The slides are available up to 60”, maybe more by now.

8F8DD967-4286-484B-853C-24D7865E8C32.jpeg

7DA7AC5C-4952-4C20-B2DD-4F48F6A26DBF.jpeg

FD35C17A-8708-4558-BCB7-FAC577FB0991.jpeg

AA069B6F-41E7-48D2-825E-1A3562CC9170.jpeg

56C1CDDC-8EE8-4AB5-A63F-3AC30114DDF5.jpeg

62C5B040-4880-4164-B286-1C7C51C54088.jpeg

0B3D7D5A-4353-400F-8580-F3000E383F47.jpeg

BDE816FE-D39D-473B-AAC6-6EB86E1CFC07.jpeg

I use a Kabba Ilco combination lock and the slides are manufactured by Knape and Vought, I believe. I got the two sets for the last one I built from Amazon. The drawers all have a 1/2” Baltic birch plywood bottom and will hold a lot of weight. Keep in mind that a locker like this will weigh a lot and your mpg may suffer a little.

As usual from your shop, very  nice!

Was thinking of going with a good dead-bolt lock instead of the Simplex-style.

Thank you for the info on the slides - all I've located so far are Accuride 36" slides with 500 lb load capacity.

5 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

As usual from your shop, very  nice!

Was thinking of going with a good dead-bolt lock instead of the Simplex-style.

Thank you for the info on the slides - all I've located so far are Accuride 36" slides with 500 lb load capacity.

Home Depot carries Hettic drawer slides and they are very similar to the ones that I use. Very good quality.

I bought this one from Better Built, it sits on one side and holds 10 + long guns if you use gun sleeves instead of regular zippered gun cases. My thinking was if I got one that covered the whole bed I wouldn't be able to easily lift my gun cart over it. Walmart has them for around $550.

24730_700x700.jpg

Check out DU-HA systems.  Gives you some other options. I believe Cabelas carries their products, and today they are offering 10% off and free shipping

I have a hard bed cover on my truck. very good for keeping things out of sight, especially when stopping for lunch or something. I leave my Rugged gear cart in the truck all the time, just have a bungee cord to keep it  from rolling around. I carry my guns in hard cases. When I go to an overnight  match I always bring my guns into my room at night. I do leave the cart and some other "stuff" but don't like to leave my guns overnight. remember, a determined theief will jut steal your whole vehicle and like can be "gone in 60 seconds" with it. 

I use the commercial Truck Vault.  It is very sturdy and is out of sight under my canopy.  It cost me about $1900 installed locally.  I recommend them.

On 1/22/2018 at 1:33 AM, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

I bought this one from Better Built, it sits on one side and holds 10 + long guns if you use gun sleeves instead of regular zippered gun cases. My thinking was if I got one that covered the whole bed I wouldn't be able to easily lift my gun cart over it. Walmart has them for around $550.

24730_700x700.jpg

Does that bolt to the bed for security?

I like the idea of only one drawer to the side to keep from having to lift stuff on top of the unit.

I have the Truck Vault, it is a great unit, very sturdy, holds 2k on top and very secure. It covers the entire bed floor. If you want one for just one side, get one that comes all the way to the top of the bed rails with two stacked drawers, the single drawer low one wont hold as many guns. If your close to Yul, make him build you one, there is no better quality on the planet!

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

Does that bolt to the bed for security?

I like the idea of only one drawer to the side to keep from having to lift stuff on top of the unit.

It doesn't come with a good way to bolt it down, I pop riveted a handle on the back and front side and used a cable to secure it to the tie downs built into my truck bed. That was my idea to not have to lift things over the box and my Rugged Gear Gun Cart can still fit on the opposite side and I don't have to fold it up.

I had the same problem with the cost.  I have a Ford Ranger.  I took some 2x10's, 1/2" plywood 2x4's and indoor/outdoor carpet to make hidden storage.  It cost about $200 and a day of work.  It holds 4 long guns on the installed shelving and all the rest of my gear in totes that fit on the slides. The slides are 1/2" plywood and they move in and out over the plastic bed liner without problems.  Pictures are attached 

20180123_142133 (2).jpg

20180123_142146 (2).jpg

On 1/21/2018 at 10:42 PM, Yul Lose said:

I use a Kabba Ilco combination lock and the slides are manufactured by Knape and Vought, I believe. I got the two sets for the last one I built from Amazon. The drawers all have a 1/2” Baltic birch plywood bottom and will hold a lot of weight. Keep in mind that a locker like this will weigh a lot and your mpg may suffer a little.

How is the single-drawer unit secured in the bed?  Proprietary?:D

Just now, Chief Rick said:

How is the single-drawer unit secured in the bed?  Proprietary?:D

Four bolts through the bed.

Unfortunately, we didn't take any.  :( I do know we used boards the same width as the gun cases were high.  Likely 2x6s.  Framed and braced the area and then put plywood on top with cut outs for the wheel wells.  We then put a 2x6 across the back like a door to the space (under the edge of the plywood) and put hasps and locks on it.  A piece of black rubber mat on top of it further disguised it making it look more like the truck bed should the tonneau cover get torn open.  With the tailgate locked the false floor could not be gotten into.  I hope this makes sense.

We assembled it for our trip to Texas and EOT in 2016 and once we got home disassembled it and stored it away for our next cowboy road trip.

Archived