SASS Wire Forum

Road trip advice

Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104

So, we are traveling to Hell on Wheels this summer and are looking for things to do along the way to make a two-three week road trip in a fifth wheel.  We are bringing our dogs so that is a consideration.  We will be making semi short travel days so want to make side trips to interesting sights and places.

Our approximate route is up I15 to St. George then across to Monument Valley.  Off to Durango then up to Glenwood Springs.  From there to Cheyenne to the shoot.  After the shoot, I want go to Deadwood/Mt Rushmore/Sturgis area before heading west to Custer's Battlefield.  From the Battlefield, we will head Southwest into Idaho and into northern Nevada to 395 south to the Alabama Hills then on home.

Any suggestions?

For the Dogs-Bring rabies vaccination certs.

Didn't say where you're start'n from, or how long you'll be on the road.

What month(s)are you talking about?

Are you using an RV?

Plenty of details left out.........

OLG

We're starting in CA, using a fifth wheel, late June into early July, around three weeks.  We're looking for short adventure type stuff, trading posts, Indian ruins, antique stores, National Parks, etc.

Your route will take you past two treasures of the Southwest.  Mesa Verde near Mancos, CO (just west of Durango) has some of the most stunning cliff dwellings you will ever see.. At Durango ride the narrow gauge steam train to Silverton and back.  There is no finer steam train ride in North America.   You travel past some of the highest peaks of the San Juans. The Bar D Chuckwager dinner and show just north of Durango is fun and a good value.  At Monument Valley plan a half day to drive through the valley.  Watch some old John Ford westerns before you go so you can recognize some of the filming locations.

I caution you that US500 between Durango and Silverton is a very mountainous route with tight corners  and steep drop-offs.  I don't mind driving it in dry weather when not pulling a trailer.  However it can be a bare knuckles experience pulling a trailer.  I prefer taking CO145 from Delores to CO62 and then CO62 to Loghill Village.  But routes are very scenic.  The CO145 route (called the San Juan Skyway) takes you through Lizard Head Pass where a scene from the John Wayne version of True Grit was filmed.  Remember the scene where Wayne yelled "Fill your hands you son-of-a-bitch" with Glen Campbell later saving him with his buffalo rifle?  You will drive right by that meadow - it is unmistakable.  True Grit with John Wayne was filmed in the area so you may recognize filming locations.  In Ouray some of these locations are marked.

Hubbell Trading Post on Ganado, AZ is an active trading posting that is also a National Historic Site.  I've been there an recommend it.  If your travels take you through Gallup, NM stop by Richardson Trading Post on the main drag.

4 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Your route will take you past two treasures of the Southwest.  Mesa Verde near Mancos, CO (just west of Durango) has some of the most stunning cliff dwellings you will ever see.. At Durango ride the narrow gauge steam train to Silverton and back.  There is no finer steam train ride in North America.   You travel past some of the highest peaks of the San Juans. 

I'd like to take the train ride but can't find out if dogs are allowed.  May take the drive, less the trailer, to Silverton.

Here is a place in the Black Hills area of South Dakota bear Hill City, right I the middle of all.

we stayed here last year and loved it...big open spots, lots of free room for dogs, and borders national forest.  Favorite campground probably...got spoiled here by the big site!

https://www.rafterj.com/

also we visited Deadwood to see shootouts....shootout was one shot fired and very boring.  Did watch the wild bill murder show at the old saloon no 5 I think it was...was ok but have to be early to be close.

39 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

I'd like to take the train ride but can't find out if dogs are allowed.  May take the drive, less the trailer, to Silverton.

The Durango and Silverton Railroad does not accept pets but states that there are nearby pet boarding facilities.  If driving I recommend taking US 550 to Silverton and then on through Ouray to Loghill Village and return by CO62, CO145 and the US160.  If this is too long for one day, an overnight in Telleride would be grand (what a beautiful location - but pricey)!  Ouray has some huge, public hot springs if that appeals to you.

Things to do in The Black Hills. Devil's Tower, Mt. Moriah in Deadwood,Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer Park,Spearfish Canyon, Cement Ridge,DC Booth Fish Hatchery in Spearfish, Buffalo Jump near Beulah WY, 1880 Steam Train in Hill City (we stop it and rob it 10 times during the summer). 4th of July fireworks in Sturgis. Lots of scenic drives. Come and shoot with us in Pringle.

July brings the heat.

If your trailer tires are more than 5yrs old-Get new ones, and have the trailer brake linings checked for wear.

Pretty much the same goes for your truck.

Stock up on any PX meds you folks take. Take a least week more in meds than you plan to be gone.

OLG

Making the long list :D.  These are just the type of things I am looking for, thank you.  The info about towing on tight roads is huge.  We have a 25' trailer so not as hard to manage as a longer unit.

Lumpy, I put tires on a bit over a year ago and went with a higher grade/speed rating.  Brakes are good on both.  Good idea about extra meds.

56 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Making the long list :D.  These are just the type of things I am looking for, thank you.  The info about towing on tight roads is huge.  We have a 25' trailer so not as hard to manage as a longer unit.

Lumpy, I put tires on a bit over a year ago and went with a higher grade/speed rating.  Brakes are good on both.  Good idea about extra meds.

Here is a write-up on US 500 between Silverton and Ouray: http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html.  During July you will may encounter afternoon thunderstorms and wet roads.

Might look into a spare LPG regulator and water pump for the trailer.

Carry a volt/ohm meter.

If you use a generator-Have it fully serviced.

Put a wrench to EVERY bolt/nut you can on the 5th wheel plate & platform in your truck. Same for the kingpin area on the trailer.

Carry spare tools and filters.

HAVE FUN!

OLG

27 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Might look into a spare LPG regulator and water pump for the trailer.

Carry a volt/ohm meter.

If you use a generator-Have it fully serviced.

Put a wrench to EVERY bolt/nut you can on the 5th wheel plate & platform in your truck. Same for the kingpin area on the trailer.

Carry spare tools and filters.

HAVE FUN!

OLG

We won't be boondocking, or at least that's the plan.  Will be carrying a generator just in case though.  Volt meter is a good idea, I always carry small tools and extra fuel filters.  I carry two Spares as well.  Good idea to check hitch bolts.

38 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Here is a write-up on US 500 between Silverton and Ouray: http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/635-million-dollar-highway-usa.html.  During July you will may encounter afternoon thunderstorms and wet roads.

Great write up.  Hence the suggestion of taking road north is to be heeded.

50 minutes ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Hey Jim, after Hell on Wheels, drop on down into Colorado and shoot the Shootout at Pawnee Station the following weekend.  Lots to do in the area for day trips, Rocky Mountain National Park, brewery tours, etc etc.

While that's an intriguing idea, unfortunately we are heading for Deadwood after HoW.  

Howdy,

Rushmore I found a big waste of time.

Custer Battlefield, very interesting. I spent all day.

Take the tour.

If you have an extra buck, take a helo ride over the badlands.

Coors brewery,  Ive been three times and would go again anytime.

And blast  some prarie rats if you have time.

Best

CR

Archived