SASS Wire Forum

How far do YOU go? Alias and Story

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tame Bill was the nickname given to James B. "Wild Bill" Hickok’s older brother Lorenzo. My great, great, aunt Bessie Morrill married Elmeron Butler, nephew of Polly Butler Hickok.   I thought it quite a good moniker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 7:40 AM, Ron "Ironhead" Smith said:

Got a huge scar up top of my noggin.

I reckon its best not get a gal all riled up while shes ironing.... :(

3 hours ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

I reckon its best not get a gal all riled up while shes ironing.... :(

Nah, I tell folks I got in an argument with Erik Bloodaxe and they should notice they're talking to me. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Two of my passions were fine bird guns and upland bird hunting.  My favorite game bird is the quail; and especially the Gambel's quail.

Mearn's quail - Arizona - (Arietta 578 in 16-gauge)

dhPq89.jpg

Gambel's quail - Arizona - (Browning Superposed Lightning in 20-gauge)

qLFe5w.jpg

Bobwhite quail - Alabama - Jake, my French Brittany (Arietta 578 in 16-gauge)

0e3LKs.jpg

48104_Finished_Cart_02a.jpg

There you have it.

Birdgun Quail

Not deep at all, as I am a pretty shallow guy.

I did make an effort to pick out my alias with care.  My real first name is not one that would be picked for a western character, so I took my middle name, "Edward" and nicked it into "Ned".  "South-Eye" was my twist on saying I'm left-eyed for shooting (I'm also left-handed, but they are not always the same, as some of you shootists know).  My full alias is "South-Eye Ned McHigh."  "McHigh" is the phonetic spelling/pronunciation of the Scottish last name, "MacKay" (which in Scotland is pronounced as MacI or MacHigh). I chose a phonetic spelling because I don't want the American pronunciation of MacKay, so the full alias name would "sing".

I've just joined the forums, btw.  I don't smoke, chew, or spit.

Sincerely,

South-Eye Ned McHigh

• 1 month later...

I actually went  very Meta for my backstory.

My alias, Wyatt N. Erdy, started out as a teen actor in the late 20's/early 30's.  Stage name Erdy Rose.  He was wasone of the first singing cowboys with his sweetheart Sweet Polly Thourghbred, Yodelling Cowgirl of the Rollin' Plains.  their first picture together was 'Singing in the Saddle' and then 'Stampede Serenade'.

Later on, he was billed as Erdy Rose, the Singing Sidekick.  Acting as teen sidekick to Frontier Justice, a toughguy hero what couldn't sing worth a lick.  Together they did 5 pictures.  Frontier Justice, Frontier Justice Rides Again, you get the idea.

About the time it was time for Wyatt to star in his own action hero pictures, World War 2 happened.  Of course he joined up, he's an American.  With his pa being a doughboy in the Great War, how could he not follow the family tradition.

By the time he got back, Singing Cowboys were falling out of favor and he couldn't get work, as the grittier, darker type of Western was on the rise but Wyatt was a family friendly entertainer.  Kicking around the Grand Ol' Opry and doing autograph sessions from his glory days only went so far.

Then he heard tell of an alleged SASS group called the Shenango River Rats, out of Masury, Ohio.  They claimed to be a re-enactment shooting club.  But with a moniker like that, Wyatt knew better.  He just knew these older outlaws were planning one last job.  He was sure if he could catch them in the act by infiltrating their gang he could get famous again for some real heroics and get his one big break to revive the singing cowboy genre and his flagging career.

So now he's with the Shenango River Rats, waiting for his One. Big. Break.  He's sure it'll be any day now......

I hope my alias, I’m a guest as of now, doesn’t reflect who I am or where I’ve been? Cause I’ve never been behind bars.....at least not incarcerated.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a trip west in 2017 and found myself having lunch at the Saloon 10 in Deadwood.  They asked for volunteers to play a role in the reenactment of Wild Bill's death and i spoke up.  I played Charlie Rich, thus the alias but I didn't want to be too factual.

So my backstory is I'm a retired Cavalry guy looking for peace and quiet but unwilling to let injustice slide.

Deadwood Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Louie was the town drunk in Gunsmoke. I was a practicing drunk for many years. Gunsmoke was my favorite TV show. So.. Long Branch Louie....

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:37 PM, Long Branch Louie said:

Louie was the town drunk in Gunsmoke. I was a practicing drunk for many years. Gunsmoke was my favorite TV show. So.. Long Branch Louie....

How long did it take you to get good at it?  And before the PC Posse jumps up wanting to lynch me--I'm kidding!  It's a joke--lighten up!

The first time I shot CAS I went by Brimstone for the lack of a better idea. I was caught on the spot and had to come up with something. I was shooting a pair of 58 remingtons that I had dubbed Hellfire and Brimstone. Since this is a family affair I used Brimstone. That was many years ago and a lot of life happening to me. This time around I decided to come up with something more original. There was a part of the country that my fraternal grandfather settled in and raised his family. It's known as Turkey Flats. I grew up hunting, camping, and just stomping the woods in that neck of the woods. So seemed logical to take that as part of my cowboy name. Well then there's the Jack part of my name. Jack was my maternal grandfather's nickname. Seeing that I was trying to honor one side of my family I may as well take his name. As for a back story. I dont have much of one other than I kind of put my costume together to fit the guns that I like and the style of characters that I enjoy. I wear a derby and a Pinkerton badge. No telling if i'm playing a good or bad guy since there's both in the Pinkerton history :D 

cowboy87.jpg

cowboyred.jpg

I had back surgery and was stuck in the house in my easy chair for alot longer than i care to remember and watched every western i could find. One of my favorites was The Magnificent Seven...the original of course. Yul Brynner's character was Chris .... but that's about all you hear in the movie. I looked up the cast on the web and and his characters full name was Chris Larabee Adams. Seemed fitting.... Bald cowboy....and my head is in the same manner.... missing hair !! The rest.... as they say.... is history !!!!

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I … mined for gold, made bootleg whiskey, and tried to 

snooker my neighbors. In other words, a ner-do-well. 

YES HE DUZ-- IN HIS BATH TUB :rolleyes:

IT TOOK ME A COUPLE OF YEARS TO DECIDE ON AN ALIAS.  FOR MANY YEARS, I WAS THE ONLY CUPCAKE IN SASS, BUT NOW THAT WE HAVE SO MANY MEMBERS, OTHERS HAVE ALSO TAKEN IT ON AS A SECOND NAME. 

WHY?  I GREW UP NEAR KNOTT'S BERRY FARM IN THE DAYS WHEN WALTER K WALKED THE GROUNDS, HIS WIFE SUPERVISED THE CHICKEN RESTAURANT, AND HIS SON AND DAUGHTERS MANAGED THE STORES AND ENTERTAINMENT-- LIKE THE COVERED WAGON SHOW.  MOM WOULD TAKE ME AND MY YOUNGER SISTER TO RIDE THE CAROUSEL WEEKNIGHTS ONCE A WEEK, NO ENTRANCE GATES,  AND JUST A DIRT PARKING LOT. 

THERE WAS A HUGE CALLIOPE IN THE CENTER OF THE CAROUSELWHICH PLAYED GLORIOUS STEAM DRIVEN PIPE ORGAN MUSIC.  I ALWAYS LIKE THAT NAME

I DROPPED AN 'L' TO SHORTEN IT TO CALIOPE.  CALLIOPE ["beautiful voice"]  WAS ONE OF THE 9 GREEK MUSES, GODDESS OF MUSIC, SINGING.  

CUPCAKE IS FOR A SECOND VOCATION  [I HAVE A FEW]!  --- AND NOT  BECAUSE I THINK I AM A CUPCAKE! :blink: 

I'VE BEEN A CAKE DECORATOR AND COOKIE LADY FOR 50 YEARS.

On 6/17/2018 at 7:37 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Two of my passions were fine bird guns and upland bird hunting.  My favorite game bird is the quail; and especially the Gambel's quail.

Mearn's quail - Arizona - (Arietta 578 in 16-gauge)

dhPq89.jpg

Gambel's quail - Arizona - (Browning Superposed Lightning in 20-gauge)

qLFe5w.jpg

Bobwhite quail - Alabama - Jake, my French Brittany (Arietta 578 in 16-gauge)

0e3LKs.jpg

48104_Finished_Cart_02a.jpg

There you have it.

Birdgun Quail

Birdgun, haven't seen you in a coons age, come shoot with us sometime.

Randy

17 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Birdgun, haven't seen you in a coons age, come shoot with us sometime.

Randy

Thank you, Randy.  It has been a coons age.  In 2014, my wife and I moved to Arizona.  We now live in a little town on the northwestern border of Tucson.  If you ever get out this way, let's get together!

Birdgun

28 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Thank you, Randy.  It has been a coons age.  In 2014, my wife and I moved to Arizona.  We now live in a little town on the northwestern border of Tucson.  If you ever get out this way, let's get together!

Birdgun

Maybe I'll see you some day at EOT.

Randy

When I used to shoot in the early 2000's, I lived on a road called Catawba Trail and was a district outside sales manager for an industrial tooling company, hence the Catawba Trail Peddler.  However, some of my gun trading buddies called me the Catawba Trail Swindler, which they felt was more accurate.  What would we do without friends. 

I dropped our of  SASS shooting for a several years, and decided to start back up after retiring.  My father passed away two years ago, but before he did he loved to tell a story of me standing on my seat in a Lone Ranger movie when I was about 4, yelling to the Ranger and Tonto that the bad guys were behind the tree as they were riding into a trap.  He got all excited when the Johnny Depp Lone Ranger movie came out, and we had to take him to see it.  Of course it wasn't quite what he expected, but he enjoyed it anyway.  So, I decided to be a Ranger this time around.  In my younger days, I was never one to hang out in a bar with the other idiots I ran around with, always being the first to be ready to do go.  I like irony, so Last Call sounded like a winner for me, hence Lastcall Ranger.

In April of ‘65 I fought in the battle of Fort Blakely. I was 22 years old and riding with the 2nd Maine Cavalry. The battle lasted 7 days April 2 thru the 9th. 

One pitch black night, as we were hunkered down in a loose skirmish line, I was asked by our commander Gen. Ed Canby, to teach our men the Ballad of Hiawatha so that we could keep track of each other and identify the enemy. They nicknamed me “Poet” and it just stuck.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I love these threads; but, don't always answer as they come up so often.

So, I think it should be pinned; instead of just pinning a grumpy :o "don't do this" thread. After all, Saloons (ACS)* are for fun. If I get too many complaints, I MAY unpin it. ;)

Maybe, this way, more people will participate since they won't have to keep telling the same story.

Carry on!

*PS For you newbies, ACS stands for Always Capitalize Saloon.

As I said before...

I'm sorry to see it unpinned.

OK, now I gotta done do it. How I got my name, Smoken D, dang it.

Anyway, back in Tombstone I got myself into a card game with the Earp Brothers, Doc Holiday, and Lefty-One-Eye. Had ta be on Lefty's Left side that he was blind with. Well, I caught ole Lefty cheeten and decked him on the left side. Wyatt didn't care fer me decking Lefty on his blind side, and didn't care too much for Lefty cheeten. Because of this ole Wyatt decided that me and Lefty needed to settle this outside with a gunfight. Crap, I ain't no gunfighter but neither was Lefty. There we were and Wyatt laughing yelled, "Draw"! My gun went off and hit Lefty in the right gun arm. Well, Lefty's gun went off also and the bullet grazed me, well, down there between the legs. Both Lefty and I were bent over in pain. Doc put a rag on Lefty and Wyatt told ole Lefty ta get outta town or he would be drawen on him, and Wyatt said he don't miss. Lefty jumped on his horse and off he went. The Earp Brothers grabbed me and threw me on the card table in the saloon. There Doc pulled my pants down greatly exposing somewhere I didn't wanna show right there in the saloon. Doc said it wasn't bad, then all of a sudden I saw smoke a commen up from me from down there and I thought, what the heck is he a doing smoken that cigar down there. I looked at Doc as he came up with a big grinn on his face, then he showed me a match he had lit and said that outta fix that. He dang used that match ta cauterize where I was a bleeden. I bout passed out but there was Ms. Sally looken down on me with that same dang grin. Well, I use to be known as Big D, but after everyone was a laughing at me, Wyatt started ta call me Smoken D.

So there it is dang it, how I got the name Smoken D

Archived