SASS Wire Forum

How far do YOU go? Alias and Story

I was just wondering, when y’all come up with your alias, does anybody create elaborate back stories for their persona?  I know several people, myself included, have chosen historical characters, even still there’s been plenty of fiction written about real people.   Just curious how deep down the rabbit hole y’all go with your alias. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have to dig far for mine.

I got mine from an episode of Gunsmoke, titled 'The WIdowmaker', starring Steven Forester.

Actually, SASS already had a 'Widowmaker' alias and I had to go with  WIdowmaker Hill, kinda like 'boot hill'.

..........Widder

Nope. My legend is legendary enough. lol

Mine is the shortening of an old military call sign I had in the early 60s in Germany.

When I started this game, but before I joined SASS, I went by J Bar, because I branded my cart with my two brands; J bar 4 and J bar Diamond. When I went to register with SASS, J Bar was already taken. :blink:

One of the Star Wars movies was playing, and there was a character named Jar Jar Binks... my youngest daughter said, "Dad, you could be J Bar Binks!". So there it is - I'm a goofy, long-eared space cowboy who moonlights as a toothpick carver and seasonal aspirin engraver. :lol:

Cheyenne Ranger

True Story, only the facts have been changed to protect the innocent!

I was born a long time ago but since I was very small at the time I don’t remember much of it. I misspent my youth developing a love of slow horses and fast women. This led to me leaving quite a few towns in a great hurry, many times, at night, on the back of someone’s "borrowed" horse.

I gravitated to the area around Cheyenne, Wyo. At that time respectable work was hard to find which was fine with me. The best and easiest work was riding with a group of cowpokes that would search out "lost" cattle and the fellers that kinda helped them get lost. We were a semi-legal group that acquired the collective name of Rangers. Nowhere near the quality or style of our Texas brethren but we did provide some service to the ranchers in the area. We drank hard and rode easy—it was a good life and one that didn’t require much effort from me, other than not falling off the back of my mount after an especially hard night of drinking. Alas, all good things must come to an end.

Several less-reputable members of our band decided that there was more money in helping the cattle get "lost" than finding them—it made perfect sense to me at the time. Once again, I found myself on the back of a fast moving horse with the lights of Cheyenne disappearing in the distance.

Figured about then, that since too make people knew my real name, I might want to be known by a different moniker—hence Cheyenne Ranger now rode the ranges of the West. Time passed and I ended up in No-Name City . Helped Ben Rumsfeld and Partner with their project to gather the spilled gold dust from under all the bars and stores. When the town literally disappeared into the ground, Lee asked me if he could model the character Kid Shelleen after me—I was flattered and agreed, though the most fun I had was singing with Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye throughout Cat Ballou. Always hated that my part ended up on the cutting room floor.

Next I traveled south and stopped for a time in New Mexico; Lordsburg seemed like a nice place. It had been a long and lonely trip and I was in need of female companionship. Word on the street was that a woman had come in from Kansas City , KS to bury her husband. I met "Violet Peacock", soon after his funeral. He had been on the stagecoach from Tonto to Lordsburg. He was wounded by an arrow and later died from the infection.

Here was a woman that a man could settle down with! Violet and I were married and began a quiet, simple life. Both she and I became teachers working for the local school district and live peaceably even to this day.

Most Memorable Moment was when my brother, Slashwood Whittler, joined up and has become my shooter partner. I hope to involve my wife, Violet Peacock, in CAS shooting in the coming months. She is getting encouragement from Tracker’s better half Kit O’Leary—a perfect reason for more guns, gear and get-ups.

Deep Dark Secret: Taught to me by an old cowhand, "If you count all the legs and divide by 4 you’ll know how many cows are in the herd."

My great grandfather was a deputy US marshal working out of Fort Smith, Arkansas near the end of the 19th century. This was when Oklahoma was still considered Indian Country and bad guys had to be chased down. 

His name:  Charlie van Bowen Harley. It only made sense to adopt his name for my alias. 

My story is not very elaborate but when I was a kid some of the elders in the family told us our name used to Saint Eagle until they caught one stealing horses. They said a Saint wouldn't steal horses so they changed the name to Steagall.  Seemed like an appropriate name when I took up CAS.

Randy

5a2ef12c5e438_RandySaintEagle-PosseMember.JPG.975aa5d9bfcb1cc0ef0134b8254f0d4a.JPG.47f38d0b78f7922460899276bd62dc55.JPG

Preacher:

Personally, for my alias, I am still...5a6246d7a467a_DowntheRabbitHole-RESIZED.jpg.4d68994eacbb26304201219c4d08bbe1.jpg. :blink:

I spent over 6-9 months developing my alias, 5a6248255c704_GoneCrazy-RESIZED.jpg.ecd118540ab7212dc70d57bbb7ca4caf.jpgwhich is unique in it's creation and does include a made-up back story. :ph34r:

I am in the process of preparing a submission to the Cowboy Chronicle as to how I developed my alias, and until then. I remain in the rabbit hole.

You can also find out more about other SASS Member Aliases by reading the Online Cowboy Chronicle which periodically highlights "How I Got My Alias".

http://www.sassnet.com/CCArchive.php

I had a different SASS alias for almost 2 years.  But it just got to be somewhat... too boring to me.

I recalled a nickname which my old softball team had called me for about 10 years.  And since I had started shooting exclusively in the B Western category, it just seemed to fit.

And in SASS I therefore became HOLLYWOOD.

Seems like some of my club members didn't find it too awfully funny when I put up a death notification for my old alias on our local club wire.  This being a sport/game of older folks and all.  But I just needed to explain to them that this is the way we do things... in Hollywood!  Although some are still a bit PO'd...

35 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My great grandfather was a deputy US marshal working out of Fort Smith, Arkansas near the end of the 19th century. This was when Oklahoma was still considered Indian Country and bad guys had to be chased down. 

His name:  Charlie van Bowen Harley. It only made sense to adopt his name for my alias. 

Hey CH....My Great Grandfather (Charles Griffin) was also a Deputy US Marshall in the Oklahoma Indian Territories in the late 1890's-early 1900's. I wonder if they knew each other. I was named after him. He passed away before I was born. I never did like "Charles" so I was always called Chuck or Charlie.

I started CAS in 2001 and shot there for several months as Charlie. After a few months I was told I need an alias....oh ok...what do I come up with now. I stood there leaning on the registration counter scratching my beard while trying to think. I've had a beard since I got out of the Army in 72. Then it hit me...Charlie...can't be Charlie Beard (stupid alias) so I went with Charlie Whiskers. It stuck.

I already wore "Western" clothes at our family place so that was not a fun thing to do in SASS events.

Although a lot of SASS members wore US Cavalry outfits, I could not stomach donning doggie outfits. In a humid, buggy place long, long ago, I saw some horrible things happened to them because they were inattentive and unsquared away which upset me, So, as a Marine and cryptologic analyst, I decided to wear period correct 1875 Marine Corps uniforms. I adopted the alias "Mud Marine" since that was the farthest thing from me. A Mud Marine is an infantryman!!!   :-)

Wow some of y’all have really put some time into this!  Very neat. As for me...

Malachi Gossett was raised by hi mountainman father, traveling, trapping, and prospecting from the mountains of Colorado, down through the New Mexico Malpais (bad lands), and into the Sacramento Mountains. He ended up being a tracker and scout in Texas just before the “ War of Northern Aggression” then joined the 2nd Dragoons, and later the Texas 36th Cavalry. After the war, Malachi decided he’d seen enough of the bad side of life and became a preacher in a little town in the Hill Country. But trouble seemed to follow him...ghosts from his past found him and he had to take up arms again. Preachin’ hell-fire on Sunday, and dealing it out on Monday.  Outlaws and sinners don’t want to cross...

The Reverend Malachi Gossett!

lol. 

Mine’s self explanatory.

Hubby's story is much more interesting than mine. Both aliases came from real people.

Hubby, Jess Brown, took the name of his great-great (not sure how many greats) grandfather, who was a Shotgun Messenger (guard) for Wells Fargo out of Deadwood, SD in the 1870s. After that, he was elected the sheriff of Sturgis four times.

Jesse also co-wrote a book that was published in 1924, called Black Hills Trails.  If you like, you can read it using this link. https://archive.org/stream/blackhillstrails00brow/blackhillstrails00brow_djvu.txt I've bought first editions for his family. Funny thing, I have a photo of Brown and Willard, the authors. Jesse looks about 5'6" and Hubby is 6'5".

Allie M. Molt was, according to my mother, a great-great aunt. I don't know much about her. I found the name on her calling card that was in a collection of cards my grandmother gave me.  Following is that card and one I made using it. The middle initial M looked like Mo to me.

Calling Card Start to Finish.jpg

My alias is appropriate...I’m an angry, horrible human being.

Angry Ned

Couyon Jack, I'm just a cajun boy who likes Women, bourbon and guns that was lucky enough to land himself a job as the brothel inspector down in storyville New Orleans. Nothing better than walking around late 1890's early 1900's New Orleans with a bourbon in your hand, pretty woman on your arm and a pair of pearl gripped pistols on your belt. 

West of Phoenix, Arizona was and still is a favorite Trail named Jackrabbit Trail. Used the name Jackrabbit  for use  as a CB handle and when needed a alias for SASS I added Joe . That was in early eighty's. Joined SASS in February 1988. Still active to this date as Jackrabbt Joe

9 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Izzat pronounced doraydo or dorahdo? Here in Kansas there's a town called El Dorado, and it's pronounced doraydo.

Dorahdo! 

I just took my alias from my favorite western at the time I joined. El Dorado with John Wayne and Maude.

i scraped around a bit but did not do any digging , i worked with the name of the river in my back yard and had about three versions that i let my good friends choose from , vote on , i ended up with my second choice but my friends have had fun with the 'kid' part as im older than all of them , 

i would offer it to my grandson if he seems interested and choose one that fits better if the opportunity presents i think , 

Archived