SASS Wire Forum

Low Hammers for Uberti's

Dust'N Bottles

I'm going crazy trying to get a set of low hammers for my two Uberti Cattlemen. One is an original style Cattleman the other is the Cattleman (II) with the retractable firing pin safety mechanism. I originally contacted Taylor's and Co. over a month ago wanting to get the low hammers "Running Iron style" for both pistols and retrofit the Cattleman II to the original style. I was told they did not have those old style, Running Iron Hammers in stock and were not sure when they would get them in.  Earlier this week I called them after I decided I would just convert the Cattleman to the new style Cattleman Ii since those were the type of parts they are currently using on the guns they are building. I speak with them over the phone to confirm parts and availability, place my order, a few days later I am sent an email that they are out of stock. 

Moving on I decided to try Cimarron for their "Thunderstorm" hammers, I explain the deal with my two model variations of Uberti's and was quickly road blocked as they do not deal with the Cattleman (II) safety hammers and would not sell me the parts to convert to Cattlemen (I) hammers. I was told they don't feel comfortable as it may be a ATF violation. (Even if I install the muli-stage base pin?) They suggested contacting a gunsmith to have them make me custom hammers. But these are fairly inexpensive pistols and I'm afraid that would run more than the guns are worth. Kind of feeling defeated on this one. So being new to the sport can someone tell me am I just plain out of luck, do I just need to buy new pistols, or is there some other source that can help me out.

Thanks for any and all advice , it is greatly appreciated. 

22 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Get with Boomstick Jay. He will modify your existing hammers to a lower profile for a nominal cost. http://www.boomstickarms.com/

+1

Contact Lisa at VTI gun parts.  They have more stuff for Italian guns than anyone in the country.  If she doesn't have the parts you need, she can point you in the right direction.

www.vtigunparts.com

3 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

+1

+2

Just spoke with Jay, I'm going to be sending him my pistols after my next match and he's going to get me taken care of. Thank you for the suggestion and thanks to all of the resounding up-votes on his service, makes me confident that my shootin irons are going to be in the right set of hands. 

If you are comfortable taking the hammers out yourself it would be cheaper the ship that way. Check With Boomstick and see if he would accept just the hammers for modification. They could be mailed in a padded envelope for maybe $5.00, as opposed to having to ship pistols for around $75 overnight.

2 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

If you are comfortable taking the hammers out yourself it would be cheaper the ship that way. Check With Boomstick and see if he would accept just the hammers for modification. They could be mailed in a padded envelope for maybe $5.00, as opposed to having to ship pistols for around $75 overnight.

Yeah he wants both pistols since they are two generations of Uberti , he wants to make sure they feel and function the same when all is said and done.

13 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

Are you sure you need to lower your hammer spures ?

For me currently shooting duelist (double) and soon switching to gunfighter, I feel that low hammer spurs will greatly help with handling and target re-acquisition. 

Boomstick doesn't lower them that far.

Just shoot a heavy load and the guns will roll back so you can catch the hammers easily. 

I started shooting gunfighter with standard hammers.  Then got a set of Runnin Irons hammers and installed them. I like them and they make it easier.   Then last summer I got a pair of Taylor's Smoke Wagons in 44WCF that came with more or less standard hammers and I shot them ok also.  Then I got a pair of Runnin Irons hammers and installed them and I like them also.   But I think I can shoot the 51 Navy gunfighter style just as well. 

Dust 'N,

Make sure that you get with me before the March match and if you haven't got your pistols back yet you can borrow a pair of mine for that match (and I'll supply the ammo too since mine are 38 SPL and you normally shoot 45 Colt).

You can use a pair of my Cimarron Eliminator C's with low/wide hammer spur and factory short stroke.

Hollywood

1 minute ago, Hollywood said:

Dust 'N,

Make sure that you get with me before the March match and if you haven't got your pistols back yet you can borrow a pair of mine for that match (and I'll supply the ammo too since mine are 38 SPL and you normally shoot 45 Colt).

You can use a pair of my Cimarron Eliminator C's with low/wide hammer spur and factory short stroke.

Hollywood

Thanks @Hollywood , I will take you up on that if mine are still out being worked on. It's been said over and over and it continues to ring true, this sport is full of the nicest , friendliest, and most helpful people you will ever meet. 

1 hour ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Howdy

If your  game enough, heat & bend yourself..did this for my wife & very happy with the result.

I did that with my sub $200 cap guns but not about to tackle a pair of expensive guns.

Hey, Mohawk. You gonna wander north this year?  I haven't seen you in a while.

On 19/01/2018 at 11:13 AM, Noz said:

I did that with my sub $200 cap guns but not about to tackle a pair of expensive guns.

Hey, Mohawk. You gonna wander north this year?  I haven't seen you in a while.

Howdy Noz

Last trip was '015 WR, was hoping for '019 but just in the process of moving to our new home 90 mile down the road so not to sure as we will burn up some finances. There's just so many great shoots in the USA it is hard to choose.

Really want to get to the 'south' clubs next time round..hoping for '020.

Take care my friend & I do hope to catch up again, you could always come 'down under..you just get here & all the rest will be taken care of . POP was a great shoot !

Archived