SASS Wire Forum

Why, the special interest in C & B Revolvers ?

Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223

6 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Did you order a pair?

No.  I still need other things.  But I am sure I will eventually get around to buying something like that.  I just bought my son a Kimber.  I told my wife it would be the last gun for a while which of course is not true.   If she catches my surfing that sight, well, it won't be good!!!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Randingo said:

No.  I still need other things.  But I am sure I will eventually get around to buying something like that.  I just bought my son a Kimber.  I told my wife it would be the last gun for a while which of course is not true.   If she catches my surfing that sight, well, it won't be good!!!

Well, I'll warn you,  Cap & Ball guns breed inside a gun safe. You're probably ok just browsing EMFs site, but proceed with caution :lol:

My, Oh My and the Photo's keep coming ! 

Love those engraved 1860's, and the Hammers great style points.

Col.; Nice fire ball for sure.

Frontiersman, are sleepers in the SASS/CAS community till ya get them excited !!! Then they make FIRE and SMOKE !!!!

On 1/16/2018 at 1:26 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Yep, many of them cowboys will come to their senses soon!

Too Much Fun!

--Dawg

prairiedawgsbuntlinebelchingsmoke&flame.

Wait!....That's not the guy in the avatar! That's not Prairie Dawg! :P:lol:

I don't have C&B guns (but would like to some day) but I will throw in a plug for BP. A group of us that shoot together all the time (most of us smokeless) got together at Hellfire last year and shot full house BP.  One of the most fun matches I've ever been at! :D

I really luved the idea of dressing and matching my guns and gear to the pre-1870 era also.  If I ever can start shooting again it would be great if I could add an 1866 and a really nice double to the stable!  As much as I luv the Henry BUT just seems that the '66 would go perfect for a well heeled cowboy sporting conversion revolvers.  Shotguns are even harder to do for a poor boy, we lost our area gunsmith for the cowboy market and what with the cost of a Pedersoly  hammer gun + then shipping away to some 50% gunsmith, well, prices are overwhelming.  

I have noticed that the trend has seemed to have moved even more towards the Colt style and further away from the Remingtons now??  Is this likely due to the better understanding as to what it takes to make the strapless guns work reliably during a hard day at the match?  Though I used to shoot the Remmies more often in matches, the weird grip fit behind the trigger guard was just terrible in my meat hook hands.  There just isnt quite anything that feels better in the hand than an 1851 grip frame (mounted under an 1860 short barl revolver)... 

22 hours ago, Long Gulch, SASS #53035 said:

IMG_20180117_175836_hdr.thumb.jpg.68be4d3d1b0bb80035821123a5fdd510.jpgWait! Wait! You will need a set like this as well.IMG_20180117_181845_hdr.thumb.jpg.bd5fdad3d276aa74898123637ff76edc.jpg

Those sure are FINE Looking Revolvers !!!

Can I smoke them up for you ...

Jabez Cowboy

Sure you can! Maybe on your next trip south?

They have been shot in one match so far and I will be bringing them out for special occasions. Don't want to wear the purty off 'em  to fast. :). Another pair of 8 inchers serve me well as does a a set of 5.5 inch 60s.

I truly Hope to get the Chance to do just that ....

Shot " Fire & Ice and WR  in 2016 and 3 Shoots in Montana in 2017...

Maybe a trip down your way isn't out of the Question ...

Jabez Cowboy

Simply because they're the sexiest of handguns...

IMG_0239.jpg

Along with those that use 'em!

On 1/17/2018 at 2:11 PM, Randingo said:

I told my wife it would be the last gun for a while which of course is not true.   If she catches my surfing that sight, well, it won't be good!!!

“Honest honey, I was just lookin’ at pitchers of nekkid wimmin!“

Seamus

4 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

“Honest honey, I was just lookin’ at pitchers of nekkid wimmin!“

Seamus

Probably seen before, but once again...

494BFC23-71B3-4AE3-914C-00B5A2C71ADA.jpeg.03fc35b62deef6619dc0869abc94137d.jpeg

5 hours ago, Judge'm All Duncan, SASS#67320 said:

Great video Coop!

Where's the FLAMES??

Hey Judge, It was daytime, in bright sunshine. None the less, all my BP stuff is loaded with 2F or 3F Goex blackpowder. Nothing else is real.

Coop

19 minutes ago, Chicken Coop SASS 5791 L said:

Hey Judge, It was daytime, in bright sunshine. None the less, all my BP stuff is loaded with 2F or 3F Goex blackpowder. Nothing else is real.

Coop

Coop;

Ya shootin Winter Range next Month ?

2 minutes ago, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

Coop;

Ya shootin Winter Range next Month ?

Sorry pard, not this year. I also told my mom up in Prescott I won't be there this year and she is really bummed %>).

Here is my interest in Cap & Ball revolvers 

I like to introduce my pair of Piettastyne 44s

51 Navy re-contoured grip and frames 

51 Confederate barrels

60 Army frames 

try that with your Rugers :D

CC265079-5AC8-425A-866E-59F6CDCC7D70.jpeg

On 1/16/2018 at 9:51 PM, Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223 said:

Here is a Black powder barrel that will make lots of Smoke and Fire !!!!!

14" barrel from the Battle Ship USS Arizona.    Arizona State Capitol, Phoenix AZ.  A 16" from the Battle Ship Missouri is also on display here.

Fourteen Inch Gun, USS Arizona.jpg

Just a little history on that barrel, it was mounted on the Arizona from the late 1920s until around 1938 or so when it was removed for re-lining. Battleships had to have their gun barrels re-lined from time to time so there were always spares available at the Navy Yard. After re-lining this barrel then became a spare, and it was later mounted on the battleship Nevada and helped soften up the beachheads on D-Day and at Iwo Jima. Following that it had to be re-lined again and was removed in early 1945. Following that it went into storage never to be used again.

Anyway, as for cap n' ball revolvers I've got a nice Belgian-made 1860 clone, but I am such a novice trying to load and shoot it most of you would pack up and go home before I got another cylinder loaded. Since I can't find any black power for sale anywhere I've been using Pyrodex, and for some reason I can't get much in the way of whoopass out of that stuff. I'm loading 30 grains (by volume) and am afraid to go any higher.

to the OP - i have no idea , but i just bought a 51 navy and a 60 army for no good reason except they were on sale , i was looking for a cartridge conversion model when i did my search 

A couple of pards have mentioned the inability to find black powder. There are three main online suppliers I know of. Maine Powder House, Powder Inc. and Graf & Sons.

The first two have a 5lb minimum order, where Grafs does not. Graf charges a flat $7.95 for shipping plus a $20 hazmat fee. I'm not sure what the others charge. Obviously, the more you order, the quicker the fees are amortized. 

Jed I Knight put up a video on Grafs black powder.   It takes a good bit of investment to absorb the shipping and hazmat fees.  If you talk to other black powder shooters, maybe you can combine an order. 

I can walk into Grafs and walk out with black powder so I don't think about others that don't have that luxury.   

I have,  however,  30 lbs of BlackMZ in stock.   I thought I was down to about 10 lbs so ordered 12 more lbs.  When I went to store it, I looked around and found that I had two stashes.  Better to have too much than run out. 

Archived