SASS Wire Forum

Google and the 1st Amendment

Lots of buzz in the WSJ and other news outlets this morning about the lawsuit filed against Google by two guys who say they were canned because of their political beliefs.  (No, this is NOT a political post!!!)

In the WSJ article comments, several folks mention that Google fiddles with search results to produce politically acceptable results, and also assembles profiles on users based upon the history of their searches (and sells that information for profit), and that consequently, they are looking for an "independent" search engine that does neither.  This struck a chord with me, and led me to DuckDuckGo.com.  They do not keep your search or profile information.  They do not sell your information.  They do not filter your search results to satisfy any world view or political agenda.  Simple to add, and just as quick as Google.

I'm trying this out, and hope it fills the need.  Try it, you may like it.

https://duckduckgo.com/

LL

startpage is another one.

https://www.startpage.com

DuckDuckGo is pretty good. There are times it will let you gown but is does give the desired results about 98% of the time. It is also an open source project to anyone can inspect the 100% of the code. No hidden features or covert data mining.

Project Vertas just released another covert video of twitter employees bragging about how they compile data on users to sell to advertisers. Some even bragged how they could blackmale some users with the data they had collected.

There have been several tests done where different people all perform the same search at exactly the same time and then they record the top 10 results.  Quite the eye opener for the uninitiated. I'll see if I can find some and post them later. 

I always use Google in searches for gun info and other searches  people of my political persuasion are interested in. 

If for nothing else but to show them that not everyone on their service leans a certain way.

I would say more but...

Archived