SASS Wire Forum

Beatin a Dead Horse 'bout Powder Coating

Shotgun Willie Nelson

Ok guys, I got  a couple questions that the answers might save me some time and headaches.

I got some lead SWC's with a lube ring on them. Can they be powder coated?

And what happens if you mix red with sprinkles of black? Do you get marbled or a darker red?

many thanx - SWN

All but one brand of the coated bullets I use have lube grooves.  The bullet coating vendors just apply the coating over the entire bullet, grooves and all.  The only non-lube groove bullets I have are made by Precision bullets and they use a solid dry film lubricant and these bullets are smooth sided and actually seem to be cleaner shooting than most of the coated bullets I have tried.

If your bullets already have lube in the grooves I wouldn't go to the trouble of cleaning out the lube just to coat them and you would just have a mess on your hands if you tried coating over the lube if I'm understanding what you are saying.

there is a whole subsection over at Cast Boolists that deals with PC  http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

no oil or grease on any kind on bullets--agree if they are already lubed just shoot them

all sorts of ways to apply PC to bullets from spraying to putting in a #5 container and swirling them with ASBB (airsoft BBs)

I've been doing it for a few years now and won't be going back to the old lube

cheyenne

5a5ebda27c7de_PowdercoatedbulletsJan2018.jpg.8726449278bbcf48342df2c6c7890193.jpg

I used the "shake n' bake" method.   I took fresh cast bullets and dump then in a heavy Ziploc bag and added some Harbor Freight powder coat. Zipped up the bag and tumbled them around a bit.  Took twister and placed in expanded metal rack and baked in toaster oven. 

One key point was to not handle the bullets with your bare hand as it leaves oil on them and powder won't stick.

Gentlemen, just some information.

The coated bullets being sold by reputable bullet manufacturers, are not just powder coated stuff you buy from Harbor Freight.???

It is a Hi-Tek product produced in Australia which took a long time to perfect.

It  has a special lubricant built in to replace the lube in the groove of a ordinary plain bullet, so the coating is the lubricant.

Using any other powder coated stuff is just paint!! And soon enough you'll have leading build up occur.

I'd be very wary of using normal powder coating, it's not the right stuff, and it could damage your guns.

I do know, cause I have had business dealings with the Hi-Tek producer and know him personally.

Just a heads up.:D

respectfully Jackaroo

I've been using PC powder from Smoke http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?205-Smoke-4320-s-Corner  and have no problems with leading in both revolver and rifle

I'm not saying this has a special lubricant built in, just that it works for me

couple of points though:  this is NOT harbor freight powder

I tumble lube, 1 coat, then bake

these are not max loads but SASS loads at the low end of the chart

38/357 and 44-40, 44 Mag (loads more like Sp) and 45 Colt are the ones I PC

a patch, maybe two and barrel is spotless

I am involved with Smoke only as a happy paying customer

cheyenne

5 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

respectfully Jackaroo

I've been using PC powder from Smoke http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?205-Smoke-4320-s-Corner  and have no problems with leading in both revolver and rifle

I tumble lube, 1 coat, then bake

cheyenne

Yes, well it looks like you are fine, as you're putting on a lube, just trying to make folks aware that straight powder coated bullets that are just that say from HF are not the ideal thing. I've heard of some that are standing the bullet on its base and spraying it with paint???? That's just makes it look pretty.

The Hi Tek stuff is what the majority are now using. We have been using it in Australia for about 15 years, so I am familar with it.

so being a basic cast bullet guy , im wanting to know - is the powder coating to replace lube ? how is paint a lube ? is it made from a lubricating material ? molly ? 

i really dont know - im not being intentionally stupid - how else will i learn if i dont ask ? 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

so being a basic cast bullet guy , im wanting to know - is the powder coating to replace lube ? how is paint a lube ? is it made from a lubricating material ? molly ? 

i really dont know - im not being intentionally stupid - how else will i learn if i dont ask ? 

The actual mechanics are quite complicated. 

I recommend that you down load and read the entire book but here is the relevant chapter on bullet lube. Chapter 5 of " From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners "

More good info Lubricating Cast Bullets By: Glen E. Fryxell

Ok ...i powder coat all my fresh cast bullets..they work great...as good as hi -tec. You can put lubed bullets in an acetone wash to remove the lube and still powdercoat (dont use HF paint if you want a good coating) i Use store bought hi- tek bullets some too...cheaper  to coat my own. 

19 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

respectfully Jackaroo

I tumble the bare bullets in PC powder, 1 coat, then bake

cheyenne

I did not mean to say I tumbled them in something like Alox--rather swirl a shake in the powder in #5 plastic bowl with top.  

12 hours ago, watab kid said:

the PC was found to encapsulate the lead bullet and keep the lead from touching the bore.  

few steps:

get powder on bullets:  most started out spraying (HF powder coating gun for about $60) but then had to deal with the 'flashing' around base of the bullet and material bullets were sitting on.  would tear some of PC off circumference of bullet at the base

what is in vogue now is getting a bowl with lid that has a 5 in triangle on bottom.  This is the recycle id number and through trial and error it was found that the #5 ones allow static electricity to build up inside.  

After swirling and vigorous shaking the powder would stick to the bullets.   This is more of an art than science.  Low humidity is nice to have when doing this.  

Some folks (and me) found adding a layer of Airsoft BBs (black) improved the process.  Others are successful without them

Once coated the bullets need to be somehow placed in the oven (never use an oven that will have food in it later. PC gives off fumes that is not good for human or other animal consumption)

At the beginning most of us would pick them out one by one with hemostats and place them on non-stick aluminum foil or parchment paper. 

Now a popular method is to pour bullets, powder and BBs into a colander to separate the powder and BBs from the coated bullets then . . .

pour the bullets on a wire tray/basket and put this into the oven.  I only have one layer of bullets as I don't what them to stick together as they cook

I allow the temp to rise to 400°F and then hold that temp for 10 minutes.  Others have their own recipe for temp and time. 

right out of the oven I dump my bullets into a wooden tray with a cork lined bottom and roll them back and forth which helps break apart any that might have stuck together during cooking

once cooled they go through a Lee sizer and they are done.

cheyenne

One important test for a proper PC on bullets it to take one and hammer it flat.

If the coating flakes or otherwise comes off the PC was improperly applied and will not function as designed.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

One important test for a proper PC on bullets it to take one and hammer it flat.

If the coating flakes or otherwise comes off the PC was improperly applied and will not function as designed.

That is correct SD.

I have a full set of instructions of how this should be applied if any private bullet makers out there want it.

8 hours ago, Gawd Awful said:

I’d be interested in reading this set of instructions 

Send me your email address GA.

I've  mentioned this before. The Hi- tec coating works for typical SASS ammo but also at higher velocities then what some other lead bullets can handle. Many USPSA shooters shooting major power factor ammo have moved to the coated  bullets from plated and fmj bullets.

4 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I've  mentioned this before. The Hi- tec coating works for typical SASS ammo but also at higher velocities then what some other lead bullets can handle. Many USPSA shooters shooting major power factor ammo have moved to the coated  bullets from plated and fmj bullets.

My current Cowboy bullet supplier started selling Coated bullets to IPDA/USPSA shooters. Colorado Jackson talked him into branching out into Cowboy bullets. Cimarron Bullets produces excellent low cost Hi-Tek bullets for CAS as well as IPDA/USPSA.

Archived