SASS Wire Forum

New ammo law in California

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

This law ONLY deals with mail order ammo by ca. residents.

OLG, I believe that you are incorrect in this assumption.

SB-1235 Ammunition, SECTION 30368(a) reads:
"30368.(a) Commencing July 1, 2019, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to an ammunition vendor in this state for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30366."

The full text of SB-1235 can be found here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1235

RS

Just now, Remington Steel said:

OLG, I believe that you are incorrect in this assumption.

SB-1235 Ammunition, SECTION 30368(a) reads:
30368.(a) Commencing July 1, 2019, a resident of this state shall not bring or transport into this state any ammunition that he or she purchased from outside of this state unless he or she first has that ammunition delivered to an ammunition vendor in this state for delivery to that resident pursuant to the procedures set forth in Section 30366.

The full text of SB-1235 can be found here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1235

RS

You are quoting a law, that has yet to go into effect. 

OLG

Isn't that what this thread is all about, the new ammo law for CA.  This bill goes into effect is two phases.  Phase 1 went into effect Jan 1, 2018, and Phase 2 (which this section applies to), goes into effect Jan 1, 2019.  Regardless of when the effective date of either phase is, the bill was enacted and signed into legislation, and now we are just having to wait another year before the second shoe drops.

41 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Still no response.

Mud Marine, I'm sending you a PM.

Allie,

You probably already know this but others may not.

I have found that using an online request for information form for any public agency is the best way to go. Sending an email by using their address is usually a 50/50 proposition, if you are lucky. This is true for state, county and municipal agencies. I have found this to be true in several states, not just CA.

The reason the online forms work better is because a lot of these agencies tie these "forms" to an internal intranet dashboard. When a request comes into their system it gets logged. A human must look at the form and then route it or respond to it. Whatever they do with it is logged and tracked within their system. If they do nothing or they just close it out it is logged. If they close it saying they sent an email or called the requester the system can tie the email or the call to the form when it is closed. If it is closed and there is no email or call logged an alert shows up on the person's boss' dashboard. These dashboards are used to assess a person's performance and may affect their raises or could be used they can be used as evidence in a disciplinary process.

Sending an email directly to a person or a group email, more often than not, will be deleted as there is no way to track a person's performance utilizing email traffic. And, more often than not the person that sees an email on a group email address is an admin person that has no authority to answer questions.

I have experimented with this many times with many different agencies. Traceability means a higher CYA factor.

Did you email the DOJ directly or did you use their online form? If you used the form and haven't gotten a response I would email someone in the chain of command and report it.

DOJ Dept. of Firearms Directory: http://michellawyers.com/california-doj-bureaur-of-firearms-phone-numbers/

DOJ Upper management directory: https://oag.ca.gov/contact/mailing-addresses

DOJ Dept. of Firearms Phone List: http://michellawyers.com/california-doj-bureaur-of-firearms-phone-numbers/

Another route you can take to find phone numbers for humans at a public agency is LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/california-department-of-justice   This will ony work if you have a Linked In account, I do not or I would do some trolling for you.

Just like any big agency the DOJ has employees that have big egos and want to let the world know how great they really are. One way to exploit that is to go to Linked In for the DOJ. Find the names of some of their employees and search for them. More than likely you will find someone in middle management that has a resume posted and there will probably be a phone number on that resume that you can call. They may have nothing to do with the Dept of Firearms but they may know someone who is and they may give your their office number. If you call enough people you will eventually find someone that can answer your questions.

Good Luck

I emailed the Ca DOJ about this, we will be traveling to Ca. to visit family and shoot, They called back the next day and the jist of the conversation was they didn't know as all the rules have not been set yet. They would not give me answer one way or the other so  I'm bringing my ammo see you when I get there

Siringo

1 hour ago, Remington Steel said:

Isn't that what this thread is all about, the new ammo law for CA.  This bill goes into effect is two phases.  Phase 1 went into effect Jan 1, 2018, and Phase 2 (which this section applies to), goes into effect Jan 1, 2019.  Regardless of when the effective date of either phase is, the bill was enacted and signed into legislation, and now we are just having to wait another year before the second shoe drops.

Don't think so-Jan 1, 2018 was the mail order ammo ban to Ca. residents.

BTW: It's July of 2019. Not Jan. ;)

OLG

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

BTW: It's July of 2019. Not Jan. ;)

Yup your are correct, it is July 1 not January 1, 2019 - oops my bad.

Phase 1 which went into effect Jan 1, 2018, is when the law which requires all ammunition sales within CA go through a "licensed ammunition vendor" went into effect. I am not sure I would call this a ban on mail order ammo, as you can still order ammo through the mail, as long as the ammo is delivered to a licensed ammunition vendor for them to process the transfer and deliver to you face-to-face. I do concede that others might consider this as effectively a ban.  By the way the maximum fee a vendor can charge for the transfer is $10 if you can find one willing to do them.

Both of these get off the topic of the OP which was how this effects Non CA residents bringing ammo into the state. The 100 number that the OP threw out applies to "a person who sells to a vendor", not out of state residents. 

Bottom line, as a non CA resident,  the legislation as written does not appear to limit the amount of ammo that you can bring into the state for personal use.  This law however, may effect non CA residents if you try to sell or give ammo to a CA resident while you are here in CA.*

*I am not a lawyer nor do I pretend to be and none of the above should be construed as legal advice, only quotes from the actual law as posted on the California Legislatures website as well as my opinion. Once again you are welcome to read the legislation for yourself to intemperate as you will, and form your own opinion. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201520160SB1235

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Pray for our California Pards.

They are getting shafted by their lawmakers [YET AGAIN].

MG

9 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Pray for our California Pards.

They are getting shafted by their lawmakers [YET AGAIN].

MG

Their ONLY chance........https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/01/16/new-california-declares-independence-california-bid-become-51st-state/1036681001/

I'd be all over this if I lived there. 

51 minutes ago, Cowboy Junky said:

Haha that’s never gonna happen. 

On 1/14/2018 at 1:21 PM, Crotchety Old Grouch, SASS #51188 said:

Does anyone know what effect the new ammo law will have on out of starters competing in California ?  Heard one guy from California Gun Owners Association say there was a 100 round limit.  Does anyone know the facts of this matter AND have some source for info we can access ?  I was planning on shooting a couple matches  there again this year but this could change that.  Again I would appreciate Facts, not opinions.  Thanks

Right now it only applies to out of state orders. I asked my ffl dealer last wknd. He says at the moment you can buy all you want from him. Someone else might have a different story but I did buy several bricks of 22 and some shotgun ammo.

Archived