SASS Wire Forum

New ammo law in California

Does anyone know what effect the new ammo law will have on out of starters competing in California ?  Heard one guy from California Gun Owners Association say there was a 100 round limit.  Does anyone know the facts of this matter AND have some source for info we can access ?  I was planning on shooting a couple matches  there again this year but this could change that.  Again I would appreciate Facts, not opinions.  Thanks

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He his full of cow-droppings. :rolleyes:

You can bring ALL the ammo you want for your own use..........

OLG

But...but...it was on the internet!!:o

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

He his full of cow-droppings. :rolleyes:

You can bring ALL the ammo you want for your own use..........

OLG

Lumpy do you have a reference,  I've been searching  the net off and on for several weeks and cannot find an answer to this question.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On Cam & Co. & Guntalk it has been stated that non-CA residents can bring all the ammo into CA for their own use.  However, CA residents who take ammo out of state can't transport the unused ammo back into CA unless you ship it to an FFL or CA licensed ammo dealer.  They didn't say if it was OK for non-CA residents to leave unused ammo in CA.  I have a question re. range cartridges.  The family has since 1960 a Forest Service vacation lease in NW CA that has an informal shooting range at the end of a gravel runway.  Since 1999 when I started reloading I have picked-up range brass there.  I usually find dropped ammo*; so, my question is: Is it legal for CA residents to pick it up?

*I recover the brass by using a kinetic pullet puller & not by firing it.

23 minutes ago, J.D. Daily said:

On Cam & Co. & Guntalk it has been stated that non-CA residents can bring all the ammo into CA for their own use.  However, CA residents who take ammo out of state can't transport the unused ammo back into CA unless you ship it to an FFL or CA licensed ammo dealer.  They didn't say if it was OK for non-CA residents to leave unused ammo in CA.  I have a question re. range cartridges.  The family has since 1960 a Forest Service vacation lease in NW CA that has an informal shooting range at the end of a gravel runway.  Since 1999 when I started reloading I have picked-up range brass there.  I usually find dropped ammo*; so, my question is: Is it legal for CA residents to pick it up?

*I recover the brass by using a kinetic pullet puller & not by firing it.

Don't believe everything you hear on air.:rolleyes:

Not being able to return with your own property, is silly at least.

This law deals with the mail order of ammo ONLY!

Always best to call the DOJ.........

OLG

4 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

Give them time...Someone will get a wild up there XXX...

TL

This ammo deal has been tried before and struck down in the courts under 'restraint of trade', because shipping ammo via common carrier is legal commerce.

OLG

The law applies to California residents who order ammo and have it shipped here, or acquire ammo out of state. There is nothing that states you couldn’t take your ammo out of state and bring it back. Also I am hearing people say that breaking this law is a felony. That is FALSE. It is an infraction (ticket) on the first offense. 

1 hour ago, Smokestack said:

The law applies to California residents who order ammo and have it shipped here, or acquire ammo out of state. There is nothing that states you couldn’t take your ammo out of state and bring it back. Also I am hearing people say that breaking this law is a felony. That is FALSE. It is an infraction (ticket) on the first offense. 

Correct !

On 15/01/2018 at 2:23 PM, Kingair said:

Correct !

But why should it be? I live and shoot in Australia, and there are no such restrictions here; but I also shoot IPSC in the Philippines, and can legally carry (dual citizen, Australian born), and can even shoot in an indoor range in a shopping mall there, but I cannot reload ammo there. Stupid laws that make no difference to crime!! Typical government (and minority political parties) interests!!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Just now, Padrino SASS#40228 said:

Stupid laws that make no difference to crime!! Typical government (and minority political parties) interests!!

That's the biggest problem for all of us !

We all pay the price for them !

Do they care of Laws . . . .

On 1/14/2018 at 6:10 PM, Smokestack said:

Yes that is absolutely correct... with a little more info to boot.

Just like firearms,  California residents can buy ammo out of the state or online, but the ammo must be delivered to a licensed ammunition dealer for the transfer.  The dealer can (and most will) charge a processing fee, which will most likely nullify any savings from buying online.  A few dealers that I talked with don't want to deal with the hassle and will not accept ammunition transfers.

Yes, while it is not illegal to bring back into CA your own ammunition legally purchased in CA, a LEO friend suggested, to avoid any potential issues if stopped, it would be best to have the receipt(s) for the purchase of that ammo. Although the onus is on the law to prove that you purchased the ammo outside of CA, and not on you to prove that you did purchase it in CA,  I think having the receipt could save you from a lot of potential grief.

Thank the Lord that I live In Idaho.

Shooting in CA, NJ, NY, etc. is similar to Russian roulette.

18 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

No it’s not. There are more SASS shooters in Ca than any other state. It’s really not a difficult or scary thing to do. 

31 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Ca. has more SASS/CAS shooters and clubs, than any other state.

The oldest SASS clubs are in Ca.

SASS started in Ca.

OLG

2 hours ago, Remington Steel said:

Yes that is absolutely correct... with a little more info to boot.

Just like firearms,  California residents can buy ammo out of the state or online, but the ammo must be delivered to a licensed ammunition dealer for the transfer.  The dealer can (and most will) charge a processing fee, which will most likely nullify any savings from buying online.  A few dealers that I talked with don't want to deal with the hassle and will not accept ammunition transfers.

Yes, while it is not illegal to bring back into CA your own ammunition legally purchased in CA, a LEO friend suggested, to avoid any potential issues if stopped, it would be best to have the receipt(s) for the purchase of that ammo. Although the onus is on the law to prove that you purchased the ammo outside of CA, and not on you to prove that you did purchase it in CA,  I think having the receipt could save you from a lot of potential grief.

The burden of proof, is on the state. Not the defendant......

Pretty hard to 'prove' when it's reloads.

Respectfully,

OLG

Kalifornia has laws that no one is cure what they mean.

There are lots of New England shooters and I am not going there either.

I am way to old to take unnecessary chances.Further, I didn't get here by doing so.

Having heard from many Kalifornians, I can only say that I have lived a long life with innumerable dangers and I hav learned to avoid as many of the I can. 

California/s laws make no sense, no one truly understands their import and I see absolutely no reason to subject my self to unneeded risk.

Recall that as fair as California's being the initial HQ of SASS, the current HQ is in Edgewood.

Use your memory, Detroit was the original" HQ" of the auto industry but now>>>>

On 1/18/2018 at 7:12 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The burden of proof, is on the state. Not the defendant......

Pretty hard to 'prove' when it's reloads.

Seems I made a mistake making a comment on the Wire. 

I will leave it to the professionals!

BTW, I had no intent to create concerns. Only to say that what the law means will be determined in the future. 

NN

26 minutes ago, Nasty Nels said:

As my Deputy District Attorney buddy (who named me Nasty Nels) said, “you can beat the crime but not the ride.”

California has conflicting statutes that make it difficult to interpret.

The Man on the Job is more likely to charge you and let the Courts determine the correct interpretation of the law.

The statute regarding bringing ammo into California is “clearly” limited to residents of California, but that does not mean it will be “interpreted” in that manner.

We shall see what develops.  I don’t have a match in California until April, so there will be plenty of time to work out the details.

NN

So until then why not just be a fear monger and make life harder for everyone else? 

Why not go to the source with the answers to your questions about the laws in California.

I was visiting family in SoCal over Christmas. My son-in-law and I were talking about the new gun laws. The laws on so-called assault weapons in particular. He, like most folks, didn't understand what was legal and what wasn't. I asked him if he had contacted the DOJ and asked them. He had not.

I went to this website:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

On that page there is a link for "Contact Us".

Here is that link.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/contact

I entered the pertinent info and asked the questions that we had discussed. I did not call. I asked my questions in writing.

That was on the morning of Dec. 28th. That afternoon, on the 28th,  I received a call from a nice lady at the DOJ and she had answers for all of my questions.

Give that a try.

My recommendations.

Do not ask questions in the fashion of a lawyer. Do not critique the laws as you ask the questions and don't give them your opinions of the law regardless of what you think of the law. DOJ folks are proud of the jobs that they do. Most of them are there to do their jobs. They did not create the laws.

Good luck.

It also deals with out of state purchases by CA residents for the purpose of bringing it back to CA.  There is a limit and it must be taken to an ammo dealer for documentation.  

Archived